• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

40 and applying for DV

I found the thread I started months ago: http://forums.immigration.com/threads/discussion-on-employment-in-the-us.320129/#post-2336087

I'm not saying that 90% are not going to do much better than minimum wage forever - most Africans hustle hard when they get here, whether that's getting additional schooling or starting a business, and live well. However, getting a job in their field within weeks or months of arrival is highly unlikely. Mentally, people need to be ready for that. I don't personally think it's disheartening because most Africans have friends or relatives who've been through the immigration process and are already aware of the hurdles ahead. That's why I said discussing how to overcome them would be more useful.

If you see the thread I had started then, it was quite positive. I do believe you can get a professional job here, and I suggested ways of doing so. Myself, I got my current job through an agency. It's not a permanent one, but it is related to my field and it does give me the chance to put a US employer at the top of my resume. Combined with a recovering economy, I'm positive I'll be in good shape by the end of the year.

eta: if anyone is relocating to the DC metro, I'd be happy to pass along your resume to my recruiter. Just PM me.

The jobs agencies place you in are primarily temps, but they also have temp-to-hire and permanent ones. As a newcomer, you are more likely to first get the temps, and eventually (with US experience), they'll put your name forward for temp-to-hire and permanent posts.

Last edited:
Again - I agree with you - and you didn't say 9/10 degreed Africans work menial jobs, but the other poster did and that is what I disagreed with. And posted some data to back it up.

@Tew,, @SusieQQQ, a very resourceful discussion between a protagonist and antagonist who are near a middle ground- it's tough but acievsable, immigrant be ware!
We are all ears, keep at it please.

Again - I agree with you - and you didn't say 9/10 degreed Africans work menial jobs, but the other poster did and that is what I disagreed with. And posted some data to back it up.
9 out of 10 whom I know doesn't mean 90% of all Africans. The sample data doesn't include your Africans. BTW to start of low when you were high at home again doesn't mean equivalent. Equivalence is when you are placed the same position you had at home. After a while is another history.