240 day rule vs. POE

PLO

Registered Users (C)
For all of you who really want to know the official document of 240 day rule:

8 C.F.R. PART 274A.12(b)(20)
Since I cannot post the url, for those of you who want to see it, look for "8CFR" on USCIS's website and move it down item by item.

However, I am quite confused by the word "timely". How long can it be? 45 days (as USCIS suggested)? 2 months? 4 months? or...? It is very subjective.

I filed an extension request on June 10, and I received the notice of action which dated June 18. My current TN will be expired on Aug 17. Should I keep on waiting or go to POE?

I prefer to have it done without leaving the US because I have an H-1B approval (no I-94). Here is the thing: my coworker accidentally missed her H-1B expiration date in April and worked beyond the date for a few days. When she returned to China for her visa, she got "name check" for 2 months. If I run into a similar situation, I would have a total of 3.5 months out of work (if I went to a POE and got denied). In that case, my company can pull the plug legitimately and I doubt that I can even claim UI in Canada for that case - after sweating for the company for 2+ yrs.

Of couse, I will still leave the US when I decided it's time to switch to H-1B. But that's another story.

Can anyone suggest me how to do to minimize the risk? Thanks.

Well, first off you aren't going to get a visa, so no one is doing a name check on you.

We are all familiar with the 240 day rule. Timely simply means that you filed your extension while still in status, so one day before expiry is sufficient. You are good until April pending a decision.

Personally, I would stay in US until I got the TN approved, and then only go to the border sometime after Oct 01, when it suited me, and switch to H1 at that point.

But I would have no fears, if I needed to leave US today, to simply have a new TN package ready to present a the border, use it to get a new TN, and then cancel the pending TN I-129. Then, later return to border to activate H1 in the fall/winter, when suitable.

Last edited by a moderator: