• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2016 DV Help!

DV2016LOST

Hi

My family and I just checked our status for 2016 and we got in! :) We are OC000002XX but I'm not even really sure about the relevance of that yet. I have two questions:
Firstly, It is my fathers application we got in on, but he was born in the UK so is using my mother's Australian citizenship. Is that okay even though he is the primary applicant?
And secondly, everything says we should move fast but how relevant is that? We aren't sure if we are even going to take up the visas so how fast do we actually have to move? Is it important in obtaining a visa to do the forms quickly?

Thank you for your help guys!

a) 2xx is a great number.

b) So long as your mother was born in an Australia, and so long as she qualifies as well (she also has to meet the minimum requirements), that's fine about your dad using your mum to claim eligibility.

c) DV2016 interviews don't start until October. At the moment DV2015 is still going. If you do want to move fast (and with your number, based on previous years, you will be interviewing in October), you need to get the DS260 forms completed and submitted asap. But there is no reason to move quickly. Once you get the visa, you have six months from the time of medical to activate the visa. After you activate (which means going through a US point of entry), you can come back to Australia and have up to 12 months to settle affairs in Australia before moving across (bearing in mind that, from the time you enter and activate, you have to file tax returns in the US etc).

Join the DV2016 OC thread here: http://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2016-oc-selectees.326147/

You'll get to know your fellow OC-ers quickly and they will be a great help to you. :)

Last edited:
Hi

My family and I just checked our status for 2016 and we got in! :) We are OC000002XX but I'm not even really sure about the relevance of that yet. I have two questions:
Firstly, It is my fathers application we got in on, but he was born in the UK so is using my mother's Australian citizenship. Is that okay even though he is the primary applicant?
And secondly, everything says we should move fast but how relevant is that? We aren't sure if we are even going to take up the visas so how fast do we actually have to move? Is it important in obtaining a visa to do the forms quickly?

Hi there, when did you find out? had you checked before today?

Hi

Congratulations! I would be a little bit cautious since the Primary Applicant (ie your dad) was born in (therefore, his country of chargeability is) UK, which is excluded from the DV program. However, there may be exceptions, please see http://forums.immigration.com/threads/successful-but-stressful-visa-interview-–-born-in-non-chargeable-country.320358/ maybe something similar applies to your dad. The rest of your family are considered to be derivatives of the selectee. Your dad's current citizenship and/or residency is not as much relevant as his country of birth (subject to exceptions). From FAQ of DV instructions:
Because a numerical limitation is placed on immigrants entering from a country or geographic region, each individual is charged to a country. Your chargeability refers to the country whose limitation you count towards. Your country of eligibility will normally be the same as your country of birth. However, you may choose your country of eligibility as the country of birth of your spouse, or the country of birth of either of your parents if you were born in a country in which neither parent was born and in which the parents were not resident at the time of your birth. These are the only three ways to select your country of chargeability
So, your mom's country of chargeability may work out in your case. By the way are you unmarried and under 21?

Congratulations! I would be a little bit cautious since the Primary Applicant (ie your dad) was born in (therefore, his country of chargeability is) UK, which is excluded from the DV program. However, there may be exceptions, please see http://forums.immigration.com/threads/successful-but-stressful-visa-interview-–-born-in-non-chargeable-country.320358/ maybe something similar applies to your dad. The rest of your family are considered to be derivatives of the selectee. Your dad's current citizenship and/or residency is not as much relevant as his country of birth (subject to exceptions). From FAQ of DV instructions:
Because a numerical limitation is placed on immigrants entering from a country or geographic region, each individual is charged to a country. Your chargeability refers to the country whose limitation you count towards. Your country of eligibility will normally be the same as your country of birth. However, you may choose your country of eligibility as the country of birth of your spouse, or the country of birth of either of your parents if you were born in a country in which neither parent was born and in which the parents were not resident at the time of your birth. These are the only three ways to select your country of chargeability
So, your mom's country of chargeability may work out in your case. By the way are you unmarried and under 21?

perfect reply :) I just hate the fact that you can charge the country of birth rather then citizenship, it effects the locals that are trying hard to get picked. for example Kuwait. there are more expats here then locals, so for us ( wife and i and son)all of born and citizens of Kuwait to get picked we have to be selected from many other non locals that where born here.. yes its not fair but hey this is life :) I know a few in the last years that got picked and moved to the USA and they don't even live in kuwait anymore..

im not complaining just stating some facts :) a lot of the non eligible countries that are on the DV list are doing so when applying i don't see that being fair at all :) but hey :) life goes on and hope we do get selected in 2017

Hi

Gratz! and i hope all goes smooth !

There is nothing wrong or risky about that case - no need to be cautious. They only caveat in that scenario is that both the mother and the father need to meet the requirements for education etc.

perfect reply :) I just hate the fact that you can charge the country of birth rather then citizenship, it effects the locals that are trying hard to get picked. for example Kuwait. there are more expats here then locals, so for us ( wife and i and son)all of born and citizens of Kuwait to get picked we have to be selected from many other non locals that where born here.. yes its not fair but hey this is life :) I know a few in the last years that got picked and moved to the USA and they don't even live in kuwait anymore..

im not complaining just stating some facts :) a lot of the non eligible countries that are on the DV list are doing so when applying i don't see that being fair at all :) but hey :) life goes on and hope we do get selected in 2017

I think you are confused. It isn't that you "can" charge to country of birth - you must! You cannot charge to a country of citizenship unless it is one of a few number of exceptions and even then it is nothing to do with your citizenship. That makes it fair!

By the way - I read the other day there is a big rise in "declared" athiesm in the USA and many more people now saying they are not religious rather than ticking the box based on how their parents raised them....

I think you are confused. It isn't that you "can" charge to country of birth - you must! You cannot charge to a country of citizenship unless it is one of a few number of exceptions and even then it is nothing to do with your citizenship. That makes it fair!

By the way - I read the other day there is a big rise in "declared" athiesm in the USA and many more people now saying they are not religious rather than ticking the box based on how their parents raised them....

I know :) what i mean is that is should be what your citizenship is instead of where you are born, doesn't make sense that someone is born in some country but he/she is not a citizenship of ? yet they can charge that countries quota ? or am i mistaken ? :)

i have been an atheist since 1993-4 :) and if they do find out here.. its a bad bad thing. good thing i live in kuwait and no in any other arab countries :) Kuwait turns a blind eye on a lot of issues other arab countries don't. like being gay etc. and not being a Muslim if u are from that country :) so I'm grateful that i do live in kuwait. USA is just a dream and hope it does come true :)

sorry if i offended anyone

xoxoxox ;)

There is nothing wrong or risky about that case - no need to be cautious. They only caveat in that scenario is that both the mother and the father need to meet the requirements for education etc.
The only missing piece of information is the country of birth (or the country of chargeability) of the mother, only citizenship is mentioned in the post.

I don't understand the argument. You're not 'competing' with the non-locals for anything at all. You're competing with everyone else born in the Asia region.

I know :) what i mean is that is should be what your citizenship is instead of where you are born, doesn't make sense that someone is born in some country but he/she is not a citizenship of ? yet they can charge that countries quota ? or am i mistaken ? :)

i have been an atheist since 1993-4 :) and if they do find out here.. its a bad bad thing. good thing i live in kuwait and no in any other arab countries :) Kuwait turns a blind eye on a lot of issues other arab countries don't. like being gay etc. and not being a Muslim if u are from that country :) so I'm grateful that i do live in kuwait. USA is just a dream and hope it does come true :)

sorry if i offended anyone

xoxoxox ;)

The rule is based on birth. Not citizenship. Birth. Say it 100 times.

I know I am lucky to have been raised in a country, and at a time (the 60/70's) where schools taught religious education in an informative and non biased way. I was taught about various religions as opposed to just one (as happened to my wife in Spain). As a result I know more about religion than many people who claim to be religious. My parents were also athiest/humanist, but again with a healthy view about being able to discuss religion from all points of view. In my home country, as access to information has improved, religious numbers have declined sharply.

The only missing piece of information is the country of birth (or the country of chargeability) of the mother, only citizenship is mentioned in the post.

Yes but given the OC number it is a fair bet that the OP has correctly charged to the birth country of the AUS citizen mother.

We found out yesterday because I got it in my head that the results came out on the 15th not the 5th. I am unmarried and under 21 and did all the applications, we weren't really expecting to win. Dad was charged to Mums Australian citizenship even though he is the principle applicant (I think)

Then you're good. :) The only think you need to be aware of is that your mum has to meet all the minimum requirements (high school education or work experience), be born in an eligible country (which she is obviously) etc etc... but I'm sure you will be fine.

We found out yesterday because I got it in my head that the results came out on the 15th not the 5th. I am unmarried and under 21 and did all the applications, we weren't really expecting to win. Dad was charged to Mums Australian citizenship even though he is the principle applicant (I think)

As long as she's born in Australia he's fine.
How much under 21 are you?

One more question (sorry for being needy) after we activate our visas is there an amount of time when we can come home to sort out finances/houses/jobs and how long would this be? Would that time count towards our five years or not?