1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2014 winner need your help

Discussion in 'Lottery Visas - DV' started by Gc2014, Sep 15, 2013.

  1. Gc2014

    Gc2014 Registered Users (C)


    I am deported from a country not from USA.

    Do I need to submit any document for that while the police report of my country will mention this deportation and I don't have any document for that too.

    If the US immigration interested only in criminal record how they know mine is normal or criminal?

    Now I am in a good position including the same country also I got a business anytime can travel.

    Also I checked with this country to issue a police report but they said I'm not a permanent or long term visa holder (social visit visa holder can't apply for police clearence)

    Please advice

  2. Britsimon

    Britsimon Super Moderator

    OK first of all the rules about what you need are this.

    If you were in a foreign country for more than 12 months, then you need a police report for that country. You also have to provide a police report if you were arrested in that country (even if there for less than 12 months).

    Whether a country will issue a police report or not is known to the US government and is dealt with on the reciprocity pages per country. So - you will need to check the foreign country you are talking about to see what the rule is for that country. If under the country we are discussing and under police records section it says "Available" then the USCIS will be expecting that document (if you meet the tests described above). There are some countries where the records are not available or the countries refuse to allow the exporting of that information - so in those countries USCIS will understand why you cannot provide the records. Post here the country we are discussing if you want further interpretation of the country reciprocity rules.


    Now then. The deportation itself could have been for a crime or not to do with a crime. You may have been arrested by the police, or perhaps detained by immigration authorities. If you were arrested or charged with a crime, you need a police report - but I suppose there is a chance that you were deported without being arrested and committed no crime and were in the country for less than 12 months - in which case you don't need a police report.
  3. Gc2014

    Gc2014 Registered Users (C)

    Hi britsimon,
    Thanks brother.
    The country is . But I did not reside there only social visitor.

    I checked the link says:

    Police Records

    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2013
  4. Britsimon

    Britsimon Super Moderator

    OK - you are in kind of a catch 22.

    The Malaysian routine for getting a police record is based on getting a certificate of good conduct. Since you only have a social visit permit (and presumably overstayed previously to cause your deportation) you probably cannot satisfy their normal requirement of providing your Malaysian identification card.

    So, IF you have declared your stay in Malaysia on your I-230 form as a place you have stayed (question 30 I believe) then USCIS will expect the police record. Have you submitted that form yet and did you put Malaysia on there? How long did you say you have been in Malaysia?

    If yes, you need to get the certificate of good conduct. You should probably first of all contact the place listed below (Ministry of Foreign Affairs Malaysia) and discuss the issue with them. Since you now enter and stay legally, they may be sympathetic to your situation and they may help out. IF not, you might cause yourself some issues with them.

    Another route would be to gather any documents you have from where you were deported and approach that authority for advice.

    If you cannot get the cert of good conduct, gather whatever documentation you can get and take that to the interview. They will almost certainly put you on AP while they investigate further. If they can't get anything from Malaysia (and you don't provide any further information) they may assume you are hiding a criminal record and deny your application.

    "Police Records

    Available. Both Malaysians and non-Malaysians who have resided in Malaysia for a period of more than one year may apply for a Malaysian certificate of good conduct.

    Applicants residing in Malaysia should submit their applications to:

    Consular Division
    Ministry of Foreign Affairs Malaysia
    Wisma Putra
    No. 1 Jalan Wisma Putra
    Precinct 2
    62602 Putrajaya
    Tel: 6-03-8887-4000

    Applicants residing outside Malaysia should contact the nearest Malaysian embassy or consulate in their country of current residence. The application form for the Malaysian Certificate of Good Conduct, as well as the addresses and telephone numbers of Malaysian Missions abroad are available at the Malaysian Ministry of Foreign Affairs web site.

    Applications for the Certificate of Good Conduct must be accompanied with the following documents:

    2 Malaysian passport size photographs (40cm x 55cm);
    2 copies of the applicant's Malaysian identification card;
    2 copies of the applicant's passport (for non-Malaysians, copies of all passport pages);
    A self-addressed stamped envelope;
    An introduction letter from the employer (for non-Malaysians).
    Processing fee of Malaysian ringgit 20.00 in cash or Malaysian postal order made under the name of Akauntan Negara Malaysia.

    Processing time for the certificate is one to two months from the date of submission. The certificate of good conduct will be forwarded to the applicant using their self-addressed stamped envelope. The certificate may also be collected by the applicant at the consular division counter."
  5. Gc2014

    Gc2014 Registered Users (C)

    I-230 form i did not put malaysia because i stayed only 2 days did not enter into the country even.

    1st thing i try to talk to them any documents related to this.
  6. Britsimon

    Britsimon Super Moderator

    Huh? So look - perhaps I have misunderstood the whole thing. If you haven't resided ion Malaysia for more than 12 months then you don't need the police report. If you were deported on entry that is no problem at all! Don't even mention it!
  7. Hopenewsun

    Hopenewsun Registered Users (C)

    Hi britisimin... Hi guys...
    I have a related question sonehow..
    My wife was in a country that gives police reports(available).. But the problem is that country determines that you must apply in person to get the police report, this means she must travel long distance- ++ cost- to get the record...is it safe to enter the integview without this police record? Given that i am the principal selectee, and she is a dependent???

    Your kind help is highly appreciated
  8. Kayend

    Kayend Active Member

    Any applicant that above 16 years old needs Police Certificate, it doesn't matter whether it is for derivative or principle. I don't think there is an option. It clearly stated in the instruction for selectees.

    Which Applicants Need to Submit a Police Certificate

    Each applicant aged 16 years or older must submit police certificates to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate at your interview.


    Additional Police Certificate only needed if you live in different country (other then your home country) for more than 12 months. Your home country is a must for 16 of age and above (assuming you live in your home country for more than 6 months).
  9. Gc2014

    Gc2014 Registered Users (C)

    Hi britsimon,
    Sorry was our of city.

    Thanks for your help.
  10. Hopenewsun

    Hopenewsun Registered Users (C)

    Hi bristsomon
    Can you answer my above q.. I will be so thankful
  11. Britsimon

    Britsimon Super Moderator

    This was already accurately answered. If she is over 16 then she needs to show police reports. IF she was in a foreign country for more than 12 months, then she will need a police report from that country. They are usually able to do this by mail - which country was she in and for how long?
  12. Hopenewsun

    Hopenewsun Registered Users (C)

    Thanks alot for both of you kayend and britsimon...
    This is also clearly stated in the website of the dvlotter.. But my question is can this be overcome because its difficult to get the record from this country unless in person being there... Do u know a successful previous experience that got visas with one police record not ready because of difficulty in getting it???, the country is dominican republic
  13. Hopenewsun

    Hopenewsun Registered Users (C)

    And she was there for about 4 years studying university degree
  14. Kayend

    Kayend Active Member

    As I said, I don't think this is an option. This is a must. If you don't get it, the CO might think she have something to hide, and that might cause disqualification or AP until you provide the Police Report for any country you stay for more than 12 months. Yes, sometimes getting all the civil documents ready is not easy especially those that need to obtain from other country but my advise is to get it if possible, don't risk it.
  15. Agu

    Agu Registered Users (C)

    have Masters and Bachelors degrees as well as my secondary school certificates, but the primary/elementary was for 5 years not 6 as against normal because i took Entrance Exams to Secondary school from primary 5(5th year) and entered secondary school without 6th year. But in total i have 18 years study period.

    Based on 12 years basic requirement of elementary and secondary school to qualify for dv, what do you think in ny case?
  16. Britsimon

    Britsimon Super Moderator

    Ok - you might be able to take a different approach. When I first read your comment that the police report was only available in person I assumed (mistakenly) that you had not read or misunderstood the reciprocity page on that country. However, you read it right. The USCIS page says the DR will only give a visa in person, so yes it is a problem.

    So - you could do a couple of things. You might be able to get an agent in the DR to do that for you. I've had some dealings in the DR and that is a "normal" thing. If you don't know someone there you could hire a lawyer/professional agent to do that for you.

    You might also be able to do something through the attorney general of the DR. The links below show a couple of pages that provide information about the police report itself (it is called a "Certificado de No Antecendentes Judiciales") and then the attorney general. You could email or call the attorney general in the first place and see what they say. I assume your wife is fluent in Spanish, and it is about her so she should call or email.

    OK - so about the police report:-


    And for the Attorney General:-

    It looks like you need to use these contact details:-
    Berenice Barinas Ubiñas
    Responsable de Acceso a la Información
    Teléfono 809-533-3522 x 249
    Teléfono Móvil 809-480-9188
    Fax 809-533-5009
    Correo electrónico oai@pgr.gob.do

    However, if none of that works, my other suggestion is contrary to the correct advice you have already been given. Assuming your CN is fairly low you could go to the interview without the police record for your wife. You would print out the reciprocity page for the DR and explain that you haven't been able to take the trip to get that record. Frankly, expecting you to get on a plane for that police record seems "unreasonable" - and you could see whether the CO agrees. Chances are they won't have come across this situation before and they may not have a policy. In that case they would place you on AP to either check the police records themselves, or perhaps make a decision to "forgive" the requirement in this case OR they might give you time to obtain the police report. In a sense, you wouldn't lose anything (except time). There is a risk that they think you are hiding something but given that the reciprocity page is so clear, it should be understandable. Since your wife was there for education, take evidence about her education there and if you can obtain it, get supporting evidence from the school such as letter of good conduct etc. You should also take proof of your efforts to resolve this with the attorney General showing that you have tried to do all you reasonably could.

    DO NOT take this second approach if you have a high case number. You don't want to be dealing with this in August or September of next year.

    After all that, you might still need to get on a plane to the DR, but I actually doubt they would expect anyone to do that. The trick is to make sure that the case gets referred upwards rather than just rejected.

    By the way, you might be able to check with the embassy about this, but I don't think they would give clear answers.... If you ask KCC they will almost certainly say it is up to the embassy - so don't even waste your time.

    Hope that helps.

    I've just seen your number is 2014AS00011*** that is a bit worrying if you take my second approach. In reality we don't know what will happen this year and I personally don't think your number is VERY high, but it is likely that you won't get an interview until fairly late in the process - perhaps as late as July/August. In that case I am not comfortable in telling you to take the option to turn up without the police report for your wife. So - make all the effort you can to obtain that report through the attorney general. Be persistent with them - including checking with them whether an agent could do this on your behalf and ask them who they would suggest you use an agent. The economy in DR runs on people knowing people and a few bucks changing hands to "oil the machinery". So - someone you speak to may be very happy to recommend someone they know to be your agent if there is nothing else they can do. Another idea would be to approach your home country embassy in the DR to see what they can suggest. Keep records on all the work you do toward this. If you have to turn up at the interview without the police report you really want to have a mountain of paperwork showing you have tried to obtain it in good faith.

    Feel free to PM me if you need further help and please keep us updated here (on a new thread) in case anyone else has a similar problem. I speak Spanish and have friends in DR so maybe I can do something, but I'm sure your wife also is fluent and knows people there, so she should exploit those contacts also!
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2013
  17. Agu

    Agu Registered Users (C)

    Dear bristmon,
    Do you have any comments regarding my previous message
  18. Britsimon

    Britsimon Super Moderator

    I think you should be ok. The fact that you completed secondary school is more important than the fact that you jumped early by virtue of testing out of the 6th year. The bachelors and masters obviously exceed the requirement of the high school equivalent. However, they have been known to be picky about the high school completion but what they will be looking for is the secondary school completion and results rather than the primary school. In some countries they set a standard in terms of results attained rather than time spent in education, but that is specific to that country.

    To be more certain, I think we would need a bit more information.

    What country did you attend school? (Also same for the Bachelors and Masters)
    Where will you interview?
  19. Agu

    Agu Registered Users (C)

    Obtained high school and bachelor certificates in Nigeria while Masters in Germany and will be interviewed in Germany
  20. Agu

    Agu Registered Users (C)

    Obtained secondary school and bachelor certificates in Nigeria while masters in Germany and will be interviewed in Germany

Share This Page