• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

Sorry C1984 I get a bit snippy with the OC/Australia questions, sometimes it feels like people think that we dont deserve to have a chance to live our dream in America as well.

It going to be strange to see the last VB come out in a few days and know that once and for all my dream for this year is over. I am sure a lot of the OC crew feel the same way and I pray that for the OC in the higher than 1450 range 2015 that the numbers at least climb to the 2k mark.

Sorry C1984 I get a bit snippy with the OC/Australia questions, sometimes it feels like people think that we dont deserve to have a chance to live our dream in America as well.

It going to be strange to see the last VB come out in a few days and know that once and for all my dream for this year is over. I am sure a lot of the OC crew feel the same way and I pray that for the OC in the higher than 1450 range 2015 that the numbers at least climb to the 2k mark.

We're living in hope. I'm waiting on the latest CEAC data, but it looks like the take-away message from 2014, aside from a huge over-selection, is the uptake rate. In 2013, the highest number processed was somewhere around 1630, which for 731 visas was a rate of 0.44. If we hit 731 again this year, that means an uptake rate of 0.505, which is significantly higher. There's no reason to think this rate will go down.

Even if we're generously allowed 64 visas from Nigeria, that will mean only an extra 127 case numbers: about 1570 or so.

It's a sad old time for Oceanians. I'm snippy too. It boggles my mind that KCC would issue case numbers higher than 1700 for OC -- it just creates heartache, stress and disappointment.

I've even had Americans in America tell me I shouldn't apply for the DV lottery, and I'm taking the place of someone else more in need. And you know what? They're kind of right, other people do need it more. I don't really need it.

But.. it's not a refugee visa, it's a Diversity Visa. I'm diverse so I deserve the visa.

I've even had Americans in America tell me I shouldn't apply for the DV lottery, and I'm taking the place of someone else more in need. And you know what? They're kind of right, other people do need it more. I don't really need it.

But.. it's not a refugee visa, it's a Diversity Visa. I'm diverse so I deserve the visa.

Just tell them it's a daft argument because Australia has a quota.... If you don't take it it will go to another Australian, not a Syrian refugee or something.

I think part of people asking why is not necessarily to say "you shouldn't" but some people genuinely not understanding why Australia, which is seen by many people as the ultimate place to live (wealthy, safe, sunny) should be a source of emigrants to the US.

I explain that my taxes will bailout the US economy.

I explain that my taxes will bailout the US economy.

Cynical American political commentary from my first day of work:
  • When I complained that I had to pay for Social Security when I'm not eligible to receive it: "Someone has to fund it"
  • Surprised that Easter isn't a vacation in the USA: "We're Diverse" Me: "but you take a day off for Christmas?" Them: "We're not that diverse"

Cynical American political commentary from my first day of work:
  • When I complained that I had to pay for Social Security when I'm not eligible to receive it: "Someone has to fund it"
  • Surprised that Easter isn't a vacation in the USA: "We're Diverse" Me: "but you take a day off for Christmas?" Them: "We're not that diverse"
If you keep contributing you will of course be eligible to receive it ...at a time when you are most likely to need it.

I personally agree 100% that welfare should not be available to new immigrants .... Inviting welfare scroungers when the fiscus is already straining at the seams makes no sense whatsoever.

We (myself as the principal applicant + husband + 16yo son) had our interview at the Auckland Consulate yesterday (case 2014OC13XX). I put a LOT of effort into providing very complete records, for which they seemed very pleased and complimented me twice on making their job so easy. :) I had received a letter on the 20th of June outlining the paperwork they wanted mailed in advance (eg Police Clearance authorisation, copies of all qualifications (not just school ones), copy of my curriculum vitae, copy of value of assets/proof of funds etc) and so on.

Arrived at the Consulate at 8.45am for our 9am appointment. Went to the first window where we had fingerprints taken, and the woman checked to make sure all the records were complete. Interestingly she asked if our old passports were available if required (they were at home in another city in New Zealand). I said yes, but they would have to be mailed if needed. She said probably wouldn't be required, but 'just in case' she would note that. The letter did not mention bringing old passports, so I figured we should be ok.

After that we paid our application fees at the cashiers window and waited for the interview itself. About 15 minutes later we were called to the window, a quick ID check (one hand of fingerprints) and then we were asked to swear that everything in the forms was correct. We were then asked to sign the forms. The CO asked what part of the US we would move to, and I said not sure yet - we will go wherever the jobs are! That was pretty much it, and then he told us our applications were approved, and that we would get our passports & the folders of entry materials next week!

I asked if we received anything at the interview to confirm approval, and he said "no, but trust me, you've been approved". We all had a laugh about how that was sort of an anti-climax.

We were back at our hotel by 9.45am and cracked open our bottle of champagne to celebrate at 10am - yep, we really did drink at that hour of the day! :)

After lunch at a lovely restaurant on the waterfront (Euro) we flew back to our home city, and when I checked CEAC last night our status had already been updated to "Issued"!! Wow, that was quick!

We are planning to enter the US in December, before coming back to finalise our permanent move.

So sorry for all of you in OC with case numbers over 1450 who are missing out on the DV2014 - after waiting nearly two years from when we entered, it feels amazing to finally have it come to fruition!

We (myself as the principal applicant + husband + 16yo son) had our interview at the Auckland Consulate yesterday (case 2014OC13XX). I put a LOT of effort into providing very complete records, for which they seemed very pleased and complimented me twice on making their job so easy. :) I had received a letter on the 20th of June outlining the paperwork they wanted mailed in advance (eg Police Clearance authorisation, copies of all qualifications (not just school ones), copy of my curriculum vitae, copy of value of assets/proof of funds etc) and so on.

Arrived at the Consulate at 8.45am for our 9am appointment. Went to the first window where we had fingerprints taken, and the woman checked to make sure all the records were complete. Interestingly she asked if our old passports were available if required (they were at home in another city in New Zealand). I said yes, but they would have to be mailed if needed. She said probably wouldn't be required, but 'just in case' she would note that. The letter did not mention bringing old passports, so I figured we should be ok.

After that we paid our application fees at the cashiers window and waited for the interview itself. About 15 minutes later we were called to the window, a quick ID check (one hand of fingerprints) and then we were asked to swear that everything in the forms was correct. We were then asked to sign the forms. The CO asked what part of the US we would move to, and I said not sure yet - we will go wherever the jobs are! That was pretty much it, and then he told us our applications were approved, and that we would get our passports & the folders of entry materials next week!

I asked if we received anything at the interview to confirm approval, and he said "no, but trust me, you've been approved". We all had a laugh about how that was sort of an anti-climax.

We were back at our hotel by 9.45am and cracked open our bottle of champagne to celebrate at 10am - yep, we really did drink at that hour of the day! :)

After lunch at a lovely restaurant on the waterfront (Euro) we flew back to our home city, and when I checked CEAC last night our status had already been updated to "Issued"!! Wow, that was quick!

We are planning to enter the US in December, before coming back to finalise our permanent move.

So sorry for all of you in OC with case numbers over 1450 who are missing out on the DV2014 - after waiting nearly two years from when we entered, it feels amazing to finally have it come to fruition!

Congratulations!

Enjoy your new status ;)

Congratulations I am so happy for you !!! I hope each of the OC people allocated interviews has a successful outcome like you !!!! Welcome to America ~!~

I know bank accounts etc have been mentioned before, but does anyone know what the cheapest way to send US currency to Australia is? For example, if you are living, working in the US, but have Australian debts you need to keep paying off (eg a mortgage), you need to send the US currency you are earning to Australia and have it exchanged into AU currency to pay the debt.

Commonwealth bank have a foreign currency account which allows you to deposit US currency and then exchange it to your AU account for $8, but the problem is, you can only deposit US currency into it in person, i.e. you have to go into a branch in Australia with the cash. This is obviously not very useful if you are in the US. If you send the money from a US account to the Commbank account, the bank you send the money from charges you anywhere from $45-65 each time.

Has anyone found any other options?

I know bank accounts etc have been mentioned before, but does anyone know what the cheapest way to send US currency to Australia is? For example, if you are living, working in the US, but have Australian debts you need to keep paying off (eg a mortgage), you need to send the US currency you are earning to Australia and have it exchanged into AU currency to pay the debt.

Commonwealth bank have a foreign currency account which allows you to deposit US currency and then exchange it to your AU account for $8, but the problem is, you can only deposit US currency into it in person, i.e. you have to go into a branch in Australia with the cash. This is obviously not very useful if you are in the US. If you send the money from a US account to the Commbank account, the bank you send the money from charges you anywhere from $45-65 each time.

I use XETrade. Works beautifully. I use it to top up my various accounts around the world. They pull from one bank account and deposit into the destination, all online. No commission or fee but only recommended for small amount transfers since, I estimate, their FX rate is about 2% off market. All the banks probably screw you 2% anyway without you realising.

If you're transferring large sums of money you should try a fixed fee provider rather than a percentage based one.

CurrencyFair look cheap. It is more if like a currency auction site. I was going to use them however you need to deposit money into their US bank account and direct transfers (ACH) are very difficult in the USA compared to Australia. One of the US banks used to have free ACH to anyone.. ahh who was it..ING Orange? Allied?

When I lived in the USA I just paid all my aussie bills using an FX fee free credit card eg Capital One. Doesn't work for mortgage repayments though.

I use XETrade. Works beautifully. I use it to top up my various accounts around the world. They pull from one bank account and deposit into the destination, all online. No commission or fee but only recommended for small amount transfers since, I estimate, their FX rate is about 2% off market. All the banks probably screw you 2% anyway without you realising.

If you're transferring large sums of money you should try a fixed fee provider rather than a percentage based one.

CurrencyFair look cheap. It is more if like a currency auction site. I was going to use them however you need to deposit money into their US bank account and direct transfers (ACH) are very difficult in the USA compared to Australia. One of the US banks used to have free ACH to anyone.. ahh who was it..ING Orange? Allied?

When I lived in the USA I just paid all my aussie bills using an FX fee free credit card eg Capital One. Doesn't work for mortgage repayments though.

Thanks, I've just been looking into XE Trade and also OzForex look like good options.

Maybe a bit simplistic, but maybe consider setting up two PayPal accounts - one linked to a US bank account, one linked to an Australian bank account. Then you could simply "pay" yourself, then draw down into your AU account.

Sorry mate I'm 21xx for dv2015 so I very much could be in same boat

Yep - I would be wearing swimming trunks if I were you...

You have certainly won a ticket on the emotional rollercoaster ride that you are about to "enjoy". Best of luck.