• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

I was getting at let's say if they end up using only 49,900 visas (for administrative reasons or last minute withdrawals, even if scheduling interviews for the whole 50,000 visas) that would be embarrassing. Then again, it depends on what is OK with their boss. They may be OK with 100 or 500 visas going to waste.

But they are not ok with lots going to waste...and that is why they over-select. They WANT to fill the quota. So that benefits a lot of people.... who obviously are not the ones complaining about the process..

I am aware that they over-select.

If with currently announced cut-offs (which they expect will use up all the 50,000 visas) they end up using only 49,900 visas, that would be embarrassing.

I am aware that they over-select.

If with currently announced cut-offs (which they expect will use up all the 50,000 visas) they end up using only 49,900 visas, that would be embarrassing.

To expect them to be entirely accurate, within 100, is not realistic. But a question for you: you say it will be "embarrassing" to end with 49.9k. Given the problems with estimation of take-up, do you think it would be better for them to at the last minute have to contact a few hundred people who have been sent interview letters, who have paid for medicals and possibly transport arrangements to get to their interview locations, and tell them the interviews have been cancelled because they've gone over quota in the meanwhile? It IS a fine line they walk. Someone will always complain.

To expect them to be entirely accurate, within 100, is not realistic. But a question for you: you say it will be "embarrassing" to end with 49.9k. Given the problems with estimation of take-up, do you think it would be better for them to at the last minute have to contact a few hundred people who have been sent interview letters, who have paid for medicals and possibly transport arrangements to get to their interview locations, and tell them the interviews have been cancelled because they've gone over quota in the meanwhile? It IS a fine line they walk. Someone will always complain.

Correct. That's why I said it dependents on how their boss will evaluate them; which one is more "OK" in their estimation? A few hundred visas going to waste, or having to cancel a few hundred interviews.

Huh, I just noticed this. Isn't there a way to edit your posts in this new forum interface? I have a typo in my post, which apparently I can't or don't know how to edit.

Correct. That's why I said it dependents on how their boss will evaluate them; which one is more "OK" in their estimation? A few hundred visas going to waste, or having to cancel a few hundred interviews.

Either way people get disappointed, but I'd wager the people who've spent a few hundred dollars apiece on medicals, booked leave and paid for possibly unrefundable airfares etc would be - rightfully - more angry.

Huh, I just noticed this. Isn't there a way to edit your posts in this new forum interface? I have a typo in my post, which apparently I can't or don't know how to edit.

Mine doesn't work also.
You will have to open a new account for you to get all the options.
I guess!

I'm sorry for the shattered dreams, but I believe this is "the culprit":

At the same time I believe that putting pressure on the DOS may increase the likelihood of them increasing the cut-off in September to ensure not a single visa goes to waste.

Has anyone called the DOS? Does anyone have the correct number?
Every terminal I've spoken too has been able to offer no information. I didn't think it would be this hard to just get an answer.

If they have reached the max - I understand but I'd just like to know as I'm sure everyone else would.

Every terminal I've spoken too has been able to offer no information. I didn't think it would be this hard to just get an answer.

If they have reached the max - I understand but I'd just like to know as I'm sure everyone else would.

I think we'll have to wait until the September VB for that sort of closure. They're being conservative, perhaps to ensure they don't have to cancel interviews.

If they have reached the max - I understand but I'd just like to know as I'm sure everyone else would

There is an official answer. You just don't like it :( and are clinging to the hope it will change.
KCC told some people the numbers may change after the 15 July. The 15th has come and gone and as far as I am aware the numbers have not changed.

There is an official answer. You just don't like it :( and are clinging to the hope it will change.
KCC told some people the numbers may change after the 15 July. The 15th has come and gone and as far as I am aware the numbers have not changed.
What I get from KCC is this. We should wait for Aug 15th (not July 15th) because that is the final #. Now we only have an advanced notice. Of course no guarantee it will change but there is a slim hope. We already waited for more than a year, no harm to wait for 3 more weeks. We already have lost everything, nothing more to lose.

What I get from KCC is this. We should wait for Aug 15th (not July 15th) because that is the final #. Now we only have an advanced notice. Of course no guarantee it will change but there is a slim hope. We already waited for more than a year, no harm to wait for 3 more weeks. We already have lost everything, nothing more to lose.

Most if not all of the interviews are first two weeks of September. That is an awful lot of last minute stuff to be done if they wait that long, not just for applicants going for medicals and frantically arranging transport if they live elsewhere, but for KCC and the embassies as well. I think people here often forget that consulates have many, many other visa appointments apart from DV that get scheduled as well. It's not a case of being able to just add in a few thousand appointments across the world at the last minute.

Most if not all of the interviews are first two weeks of September. That is an awful lot of last minute stuff to be done if they wait that long, not just for applicants going for medicals and frantically arranging transport if they live elsewhere, but for KCC and the embassies as well. I think people here often forget that consulates have many, many other visa appointments apart from DV that get scheduled as well. It's not a case of being able to just add in a few thousand appointments across the world at the last minute.
Last minute??? Giving one month notice you called it last minute? Anyway, everyone have their own opinions. Let hope they will make some adjustments LAST MINUTE.

Last minute??? Giving one month notice you called it last minute? Anyway, everyone have their own opinions. Let hope they will make some adjustments LAST MINUTE.

Kayend, when I called my panel doctors to make an appointment, the earliest they could give me was over four weeks after i called them. So yes. Maybe for you your panel doctors don't do anything but sit and wait to quickly schedule DV appointments, ours don't. Maybe your embassy doesn't have anything to do but wait for DV interviews to be scheduled, but most have a full schedule of interviews set up weeks in advance. Files need to be sent and once they are, embassies have responsibility for doing some of the background checks. They do not just sit around doing nothing other than being there to interview people. They are already engaged and busy with things pertaining both to dealing with current appointments and with things like background checks for those interviews that already have been scheduled.

Look, I realise you are just trying to cling to some hope here. But it needs a tinge of realism too. It's not realistic to expect a large scale change in numbers, partly for logistical reasons.

Yes - That is correct. It was not JULY 15TH they were asking people to recheck their status on - It is AUGUST 15TH they are asking people to do it.

Yes - That is correct. It was not JULY 15TH they were asking people to recheck their status on - It is AUGUST 15TH they are asking people to do it.

Really. The posts I recall were people having spoken to KCC after the numbers were out reporting that some (not all) KCC people said to check back after the 15th of July. Can you link to a post where someone said KCC told them to check on 15 August? Which would be very strange as the official bulletin for September will be out before then anyway.

No posts that I've seen. This was all verbal data - told to me over the phone by several terminals at KCC. (I always speak to at least 2 people just to be sure & ask the same questions to see if the answers are consistent)… I spoke to about 3 - Same answers every time.

They all said that "They are asking selectees to call back on August 15th to see if anything changes"

No posts that I've seen. This was all verbal data - told to me over the phone by several terminals at KCC. (I always speak to at least 2 people just to be sure & ask the same questions to see if the answers are consistent)… I spoke to about 3 - Same answers every time.

They all said that "They are asking selectees to call back on August 15th to see if anything changes"

Er, ok. If we are to believe that you have called KCC with the same question "several" times. Strange how everyone posting here said July.

Incidentally I was doing an exercise with another poster, comparing advance notification for September with the final outcome in years where there were regional cutoffs for one or more regions. In not one case could we find any difference at all.