2011 November N-400 Tracker

Interview Scheduled

Received interview letter yesterday and the interview date is 4/2/12. Will need to reschedule because I have a pre-planned trip during that time.

Mine is on 4/3/12

11/11/2011 N-400 mailed
12/28/2011 Finger Print Done
01/12/2012 In line for interview ...
02/27/2012 status changed to scheduling
04/03/2012 interview date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update in sig. My journey is almost over!

And about my interview experience:
Did mine in Chicago on the 22nd last month. First I was asked swear under oath that you're telling the truth and nothing but the truth, and then came a quick firestorm of questions about things in my application. The whole thing was mostly painless. Because I'm a college student who goes to school out of state, they asked me to show them my state ID or driver's licence, and I gave them my licence from my home state with an explanation of my situation, and showed them my proof of enrollment and current class schedule from my school. It seemed to count as sufficient proof of residence in-state for them.

Then came the test of reading, writing, and civics: they were a piece of cake, and the interviewer stopped after the sixth question for the civics part since I answered everything correctly.

Being an asylee derivate before I obtained PR status, I was rather worried about showing them my passport since it's long expired and I haven't used it at all since coming to the U.S., and as a result I don't have it on hand. I used my Re-entry permit as a passport for the one overseas trip I made (not COP), and just to be on the safe side I also brought with me photocopies of my expired national passport in case they ask for it. It turned out my worries were for nothing, however; they were satisfied with my re-entry permit and didn't even mention my national passport.

I'm getting a name change, so they verified that at the end, and I was asked to sign a bunch of documents, some with my current legal name and some with my new name. I was then given a sheet of paper that said I passed my interview, and asked to stay in the waiting area until they call out my name and give me my oath letter (not sure if this is the standard practice for other DOs, but this is how they do things in Chicago as of last month). After over an hour of waiting, I had my oath letter, hot off the press, in hand. One thing I noticed that most people's oath date were within the week, so I assumed that unless you request a name change, you should be able to take your oath within the week, perhaps even within a couple of days, after you pass the interview. There weren't anyone who got to take their oath on the same day that I know of, but I'm not entirely sure if it was because there weren't any oath ceremonies scheduled that particular day or if it just wasn't the practice in Chicago DO.

Good luck, everyone!

Oath letter sent!

Finally, after my submitting additional information only 10 days after it being requested, it took another 40 days to review it and schedule me for an oath ceremony!

Interview completed

FP done on 02/10/12. Status changed to "Testing and Interview" on 02/13/12.

My interview was completed on 3/21/12 in less than 10 min. only Driver licence, passport and GC was required by the interviewing officer. Usual civic and english test. Everything was done very nicely. I am still waiting for a change in my status to "scheduled for Oath".

Goodluck to everyone.

My Timeline

Field Office: San Diego,CA

02/12/2009 GC Rcvd
11/23/2011 N-400 mailed EX to Phoenix, AZ
11/25/2011 Mail Rcvd
11/30/2011 Check Cashed
12/02/2011 Finger Print letter Received
12/27/2011 Finger Print Appointment
03/12/2012 Interview Date (Passed)
03/28/2012 Oath Ceremony

Hi everyone!.I filed N-400 application on 11/21/11 based on the 3 year rule. Interview was scheduled on 3/19/12 at NYC (Federal Plaza). I was a little nervous because everybody was telling me that the NYC office is really hard on marriage based citizenships. Interview was scheduled at 7:00am, there were like 100-150 people on the room (7th floor). I was called in at 8.10am. The first thing the officer asked me (even before saying good morning) was "did you bring your wife and a lot of evidence with you?" I said yes she is here, would you like me to call her? He made sure she was there and told me all he needed was her driver's license. Then he finally took me to his private office and after having me sworn he asked me to have a seat and start reviewing the application meticulously, asked me for my passports, green card and drivers license. My complete A-file was in his desktop so he reviewed everything and told me "did you have to come for a second interview when you applied for your green card?" I said yes, i had a stokes interview at the 6th floor almost 4 years ago. Then he went to the civics test: what is the rule of law, why 13 stripes on the flag, what is the ocean on the west coast, how old you have to be to vote in a federal election, what is the name of the national anthem, and who is the speaker of the house. For the english test he made me read "what do we pay to the government" and made me write "we pay taxes". After i passed the tests he went to the evidence, i have attached the past 3 years of taxes along with the application so i gave him the just filed 2011 with official IRS transcripts (he was thankfully and glad i brought these), then i gave him proof of joint car insurance, utility bills, joint credit card statements, and he said that he was very satisfied and doesnt see anything shady in my app and stamped a big red APPROVED stamp on the N-400. He gave me the N-652 saying that i pass the tests and that a decision will be mailed to me, wrote "non-waiting" at the bottom of the form and told me that i should receive an oath letter soon and not to worry. Yesterday my status online changed to "on March 27! We scheduled you for an oath ceremony and sent a notice providing the date, time, and location" supper happy here, i should receive the letter tomorrow. If you have the evidence they ask for the past 3 years you should be ok. If your wife/husband goes with you to the interview: bonus points. Good luck to everyone! Update: Oath letter received, ceremony scheduled on 04/13/12 yayyy.

Interview rescheduled

Had sent request to reschedule interview on 4/2/12 because I would be out of the country at that time.

The new interview date is 4/19/12.

Interview done

Had my interview in Detroit office this morning. The interview went off really well.

While I was entering, the IO told me that I have come on a really good day because if I got thru the interview today, my oath ceremony can be as early as next week.

The only documents I was asked for were the passport, green card and drivers license. I had a foreign trip after the application and I provided him a sheet listing travel dates etc in the same format as it is in the application form. He updated the details, reviewed the application form in detail and made me verify all the details. Then he went thru the Yes/No questions on the form about criminal offences, arrests etc and then the questions pledging loyalty to USA. Then he asked me to sign on the form and a couple of other documents including the photographs.

Then he moved on to the English and History/Civics questions where he said that I can see that you are comfortable with English but I need to go thru the questions. He asked me to read "How many US Senators are there?" and made me write "We have one hundred Senators". The History/Civics questions were as follows:
What is the "rule of law"?
How old do citizens have to be to vote for President?
What major event happened on September 11, 2001 in United States?
What ocean is on the West coast of the United States?
Why does the flag have 13 stripes?
What is the name of the national anthem?
Once I answered 6 questions right, he said that you have passed the test and gave me the letter "recommended for approval". I was asked to wait for sometime so that I could collect the Oath letter which is on 4/26/2012 at 9:15 A.M.

Overall the IO was really nice and it was a very simple and systematic process. There is absolutely no need to worry about anything. As far as studying for the questions, I just started studying a couple of days earlier because I had just returned from a vacation last week. Just go thru the questions a few times and they will stick in your memory. I would recommend reading the detailed description after each question because it helps knowing the answers rather than just memorizing them.

All the best to everyone. Thanks for all your inputs. It made the whole process so much easier:)

Had my interview in Detroit office this morning. The interview went off really well.

Thanks for sharing! I am in Detroit also, a couple months behind you in the process. I'm sure you're relieved to be done with oath in a week after your LONG wait for the interview! :D

Thanks

Absolutely, rjackal, especially with all the concerns related to rescheduling my interview date.
Wishing you all the best and hoping you complete the journey to citizenship very soon too :)

Now a US citizen

Oath ceremony on 4/26/12 was really good. Yes, now I am a US citizen :)

Applied for the passport immediately after the ceremony at the Detroit Passport Agency. Was not prepared for it but when the Passport agent briefed us about the advantages that it would be an expedited next day service and they will not take the original Naturalization certificate, I filled out the passport form, took photos at the store in the same building and submitted the application. Will be collecting the passport on 4/30/12 though it would have been ready on 4/27/12 afternoon itself.

Oath ceremony on 4/26/12 was really good. Yes, now I am a US citizen :)
Applied for the passport immediately after the ceremony at the Detroit Passport Agency....

Congrats! Good info about the passport, I will have to think about that. Does Detroit do interview and oath at the same ASC on Jefferson (East side Detroit), or is it downtown?

Thanks

Thanks rjackal.

The oath ceremony in Detroit is at the Theodore Levin United States Courthouse on 231 W Lafayette Blvd. In case you plan to apply for the passport immediately after the oath, it may be preferable to fill out the passport form in advance (though you can fill it after getting the form as a part of the package before the oath ceremony). Take your credit card along so that you can just go out of the back door of the courthouse and walk across the street to Detroit Passport Agency on 211 W Fort Street.

Wishing you all the best for your citizenship process :)

Oath ceremony

My interview was completed on 3/21/12 in less than 10 min. only Driver licence, passport and GC was required by the interviewing officer. Usual civic and english test. Everything was done very nicely. I am still waiting for a change in my status to "scheduled for Oath".

Goodluck to everyone.

Oath Ceremony on 16th May, 2012.