2 minor offences no convictions - advice please

nzsam

Hi guys,

I won the green card lottery and have applied for the DV visa. I'm just wondering if anyone has some guidance on to whether I may have a problem with my criminal history.

I have two offences from over 15 years ago when i was around 18-20 years old. One is for getting caught by police with a joint of marijuana and the second is for shoplifting some shaving razors. I was arrested and discharged without conviction for both, so i have a clean criminal record.

The US government requested a full arrest record from police, so even though i have no criminal convictions I needed to disclose these two offences.

I hope because the offences are minor and carried no conviction, and they happened so long ago they won't be an issue, but reading about reasons for denial I saw drug offences and offences that relate to morals, so I'm a little nervous it could be an issue.

Has anyone gone through the process with similar criminal history as this?

Hi guys,

I won the green card lottery and have applied for the DV visa. I'm just wondering if anyone has some guidance on to whether I may have a problem with my criminal history.

I have two offences from over 15 years ago when i was around 18-20 years old. One is for getting caught by police with a joint of marijuana and the second is for shoplifting some shaving razors. I was arrested and discharged without conviction for both, so i have a clean criminal record.

The US government requested a full arrest record from police, so even though i have no criminal convictions I needed to disclose these two offences.

I hope because the offences are minor and carried no conviction, and they happened so long ago they won't be an issue, but reading about reasons for denial I saw drug offences and offences that relate to morals, so I'm a little nervous it could be an issue.

Has anyone gone through the process with similar criminal history as this?

Hi Nzsam,

This was taking from the Dept of State website

In order to immigrate, DV selectees must be admissible to the United States. The DS-260, Online Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application, electronically, and the consular officer, in person, will ask you questions about your eligibility to immigrate under U.S. law. These questions include criminal and security related topics.

Hi Nzsam,

This was taking from the Dept of State website

In order to immigrate, DV selectees must be admissible to the United States. The DS-260, Online Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application, electronically, and the consular officer, in person, will ask you questions about your eligibility to immigrate under U.S. law. These questions include criminal and security related topics.

Thanks for that Pierre,

I hope they dont have a black and white approach to these issues and my response does play a role, because the Dept of State also talks about ineligibilities regarding drug and moral related offences in a way that makes me a bit nervous.

Thanks for that Pierre,

I hope they dont have a black and white approach to these issues and my response does play a role, because the Dept of State also talks about ineligibilities regarding drug and moral related offences in a way that makes me a bit nervous.

I understand that these interviews can be nerve racking, but you need to make sure you are honest all the way, since the CO is the one that can approve or deny your visa and they take security very seriously. Good luck on your DV selection and I'm hoping that next May I can have luck on my side and be selected on this third try One last question, these charges appear in your police records?