14 yrs old child GC replacement, mandatory?

ccxx

Hi,
My son reached 14 years old this year. Do I have to replace his GC with new one. I read I-90 form that 14 years old replacement process but not sure if that is mandatory.

Many thanks,

ccxx

No it isn't mandatory, he'll just have an expired GC. He will still be an LPR, so if he isn't going to travel that probably won't cause any issues for now...

No it isn't mandatory, he'll just have an expired GC. He will still be an LPR, so if he isn't going to travel that probably won't cause any issues for now...
It may not be expired. But there is a provision for replacing the green card at age 14. See I-90 instructions, part 2, 2.g1
After reaching 14 years of age, a lawful permanent resident must register and submit Form I-90. Registration and
fingerprinting are required within 30 days after a child reaches 14 years of age.
I don't think many people do it though.

Thank you for your prompt reply. My son's GC will be expire in 2016 and we do have travel plan this year. That's why I wonder if I need to replace his GC since the his photo on GC is his 6 years old one. We used to have a little bit trouble on his GC when entering US but his passport photo is fine. I can wait to year 2016 to renew, right?

Thanks,
ccxx

Thank you for your prompt reply. My son's GC will be expire in 2016 and we do have travel plan this year. That's why I wonder if I need to replace his GC since the his photo on GC is his 6 years old one. We used to have a little bit trouble on his GC when entering US but his passport photo is fine. I can wait to year 2016 to renew, right?

Thanks,
ccxx

Well, you can either replace it now that he is 14 and pay $85 or wait till it expires and pay $450 or whatever the existing charge is when it expires:

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/replace-green-card

http://www.uscis.gov/i-90

Thanks,
ccxx

He's had a GC for 6 years? That probably means you also have had a GC for 6 years or more, and may be eligible for US citizenship. If/when you become a US citizen, your under-18 permanent resident children would derive US citizenship through you (assuming they're still living with you and meet all the other requirements of the Child Citizenship Act). And once your children become US citizens, they would need a US passport to travel, not their GCs.