1-485 Question- Assistance Needed

MILA34

> I came to the US in 1997 with a visa because there was a war going on in Sierra Leone. Because of this situation, I was approved to become an asylee. I've been in asylee status since then and I'm really confused as to how to proceed with switching my status to green card holder.
> In 2006 (when I was 26 years old) I resumed applying for a green card from an application my mom had started but got a denial letter stating that I was no longer a minor so I couldn't apply this way. The letter went on to say I was still allowed to stay in the US and continue working legally.
> I got married in 2005 to a US citizen and I tried apply through marriage. When we visited the USCIS office together we were advised that this would be the faster way, however, as soon as I submitted this application they would back date my visa to the date it expired in 1997 which would technically mean I've been in the US living and working illegally since then. This route also meant I would have to pay the filing fee.
> The USCIS official said I also had the option if re-applying as an asylee (without my mother) but this route will take longer. This way though, I wouldn't have to pay the filing fee.
> I'm just very confused as to what I should do and any assistance in determining the best course if action for me will best for me.
> Thanks.