we have been thinking a lot about what to do with both US-GC (received 2010) and C-PR(received 2006). Finally decided to follow the proper process to Relimquish the C-PR, here are our experience.
We (wife, me, son and daughter) are from Minneapolis, went to Grand Portage POE to surrender our CPR
We reached on 3/19/2011 night and stayed at Grand Marais. 3/20/2011 morning we had nice breakfast and left the hotel at 9 am and reached the POE at 10.30 am.
• 10.30 we crossed the Pigeon Bridge.
• At the Gate, we gave our kids US passports and our green cards. the officer asked the following questions;
o Purpose of the trip? we are here to surrender our CPR
o How many people in the car? Four including me
o Is this your own car? Yes
o When was your last trip to Canada? 2006.
• She asked us to go to immigration section in the same building.
We parked our car and went inside,;
• Told the IO “we are here to relinquish our CPR”
• He was not sure; he said “show me what you got”. Gave him the CPR, kids US Passports.
• He asked us to wait and went inside. Came back after an hour and asked the following Qs
o When was your last trip to Canada? 2006
o How long you are living in USA? 12 years
o Did you live in Canada before that? No we have never lived in Canada.
o Since you have never lived in Canada, only landed, you didn’t meet the residence requirement, there is nothing to relinquish because you don’t have a status, I can take back the cards. Once I do it you have to start over again if you need to be PR.
I said” yes I am aware that process”, since both my kids are USC and we have GC, we would like to surrender C-PR by following the proper process.
o He said it is not illegal to have both, since you will meet only one country residence requirement anyway you can keep both. Only diplomat or other people which is required to do it, only those will be usually doing it.
o Then he took 30-40 mins to complete the form 5538B. We three signed it (because we appllied before my daughter was born) and got the copy drove back to US side.
We gave the kids US Passports and GC, then he started asking the following questions;
• When did you get your GC? Last year
• Which category? Employment.
• Where do you live? Minneapolis.
• Then I gave our passports which had expired I-94.
o He said park the car and collect everything inside.
• Went inside, IO asked
o Where do you live? Minneapolis
o Give me the address, wrote it in a paper.
o She said we need to take finger prints, pic, for both of us, will take few mins
o Took I-94, said, you don’t need it anymore.
o Gave back all the passports/GC.
Drove back home