Here’s a brief background:
- Crossed the Border from Canada and claimed Landed Immigrant status in February 2011. Returned back to Canada after a day.
- Drove back to US for a day and filed for a Re-Entry Permit in May 2011.
- Flew to US in summer of 2011 and received an approved Re-Entry Permit for the whole family, which is good up until September 2013.
The plan is to move to US by the end of August 2013. I have Bank accounts in US but no property? Me and my wife presently work in Canada and were in US last year only for a period of 4-5 weeks.
- How would or should I file my US Taxes (as a Resident or a Non Resident)??
- Could I jeopardize my GC or future prospects of US Citizenship if I file as a Non-Resident?
I understand that due to some changes at IRS last year, people claiming to be Residents of US have to report on all their world wide income and have to file a lot more paperwork.
Please advise if you have any experience in this area.