Backdate GC - Forum Details
Propose to USCIS that they backdate the GC for those applications that are outside the stated processing times and account for the time delay in adjudication of GC.
Long-time GC applicants whose applications have been pending many years are negatively impacted. This impact is felt even if their green cards are approved, in that the clock for the mandatory wait time for citizenship application process does not start until the approval of the green card. These applicants would have to wait another 5 years to be in a position to even apply for their citizenship. So all the time spent unduly waiting, say for the FBI name check, is literally wasted and not accounted for in the long struggle towards citizenship.
This proposal would not change anything else in the application process for citizenship, including the requirement for the completion of the FBI name check or other security checks again during the citizenship process. It would assist these impacted applicants in applying for the citizenship earlier and help them proceed forward from this milestone of permanent residency on to the path to citizenship.
If you are interested:
- please reply to this thread with details on your application delays, any actions you may have taken and suggestions
Refer conference calls:
April 10 2008: Starting around 43:15 min
Rajiv will try to help. Possible options are to:
- Write letters to congressional members who are sympathetic to such causes
- Approach other forums like Immigration voice who may be willing to assist
- Contact members of press
April 24 2008: Starting around 3:48 min and 50:44 min
Rajiv wants to address this issue on a separate phone call.
- Class action lawsuit may be difficult but individual lawsuit is certainly worth looking into as this could be a matter of statute in which case only Congress can change it.
- Rajiv will be happy to assist in whatever way he can and will take a look at the law.
- As a first step, this separate dedicated forum has been setup to discuss options.
What is being done:
- this dedicated forum for discussion
- evaluate and address options
Last edited by TwilightZone; 12th May 2008 at 01:03 PM.
Nov 2003: I140 filed (EB3 Approved labor, PD May 1997)
Mar 2004: I140 approved
Apr 2004: I485 applied
May 2004: FBI Name Check submitted by USCIS and pending with FBI
2004-2008: Multiple fingerprintings, EADs, LUDs, letters/emails/inquiries to USCIS, FBI, congress persons, senators, ombudsman
Aug 2006: RFE on 485
Feb 2008: USCIS issued memo related to I-485 approval and pending security checks
Feb 2008: I485 approved
IMPORTANT NOTE: I am a Volunteer Moderator - one of you. I am not a lawyer. So act accordingly.