Dear OCI Gurus: Please review and confirm the following checklist for OCI application - Houston -
** 2 sets for each applicant
1. Completed Part A (complete over internet, and print along with Part B + instructions - so you will get tracking number), with photos pasted.
2. Completed Part B with signatures of all applicants (see 5 below)
3. Copy of US passport - first 2 and last 2 pages - self-attested
4. Copy of Indian passport - first 3 and last 2 pages - self attested
5. Photographs - totally 5 out of which 2 stuck on the 2 copies of Part A, and 3 in a small envelope
6. Cover letter
7. Fees - $275 per applicant in money order or cashier's check made payable to Consulate General of India, Houston
8. Mailing fees - $20 for the family group - in money order or cashier's check
9. Mail 1-4 in 2 sets (both sets containing original signatures in Part B), + items 5, 6, 7 and 8 above to Consulate General of India, 1990 Post Oak Blvd. # 600 Three Post Oak Central, Houston, TX-77056.
10. When status updates in the system, or when email arrives from Houston about approval/doc. received at Houston, send original US passport and original Indian passport & PIO card (if applicable) to the Houston embassy alongwith a print out of the status page (indicating the date of arrival of OCI document in the Consulate) or copy of acknowledgement.
11.They will use the mailing fees in 8 above to send the US passport/s with U visa stamped, cancelled Indian passport/s and the new OCI card/s by FEDEX.
a. Your usual signature will do; do not need the cursive full name written as in naturalization certificate
b. You can combine all the fees for the entire family group and send just one cashier's check. For example, for a family of 2, you can send one cashier's check for $570 ($275+$275+$20)
c. US-style passport pictures are accepted at Houston
d. To self-attest, just write "Certified to be true copy of the original", sign & print your name.
Is this checklist correct? Please review and advise. Thanks.
To check the status of your application, go to https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp, and enter the File Number obtained at the time of online registration of the application.
The status report will show dates of "Registration Status", "Documents Printing Status", "Documents Printed On", "Documents Dispatched to concerned Mission/Office on" and "Documents Received at".
When the online status indicates that documents have been received at CGI, Houston, the applicant should send
- the original passport of citizenship (US passport),
- the last valid/expired Indian Passport,
- PIO Card (if any) held by the applicant,
- a copy/printout of the OCI status screen (that indicates the file #, registration #, name, and status information)
to Consulate General of India, 1990 Post Oak Blvd. # 600 Three Post Oak Central, Houston, TX-77056.
In a week of so, the applicant will receive back from the Houston embassy,
- the US passport with the OCI 'U' visa stamped
- the cancelled Indian passport
- the OCI Card/Book (which looks like a passport).
For travel to India, you have to take the US passport with the valid U visa AND the OCI Book.