All applicants must send the following 3 things with their N-400 application:
1.A photocopy of both sides of your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as the Alien Registration Receipt Card or “Green
2. Two (2)identical color photographs,with your name and “A ”number written lightly in pencil on the back of each.For details
about the photo requirements,see part 5 of A Guide to Naturalization and the Form M-378 instructions distributed with your
application.Do not wear eyeglasses or earrings for the photo.Note that if your religion requires you to wear a head covering,
your facial features and your right ear must still be exposed in the photo for purposes of identification;AND
3. A check or money order for the application fee and the fingerprinting fee,as stated in the M-479 Current Naturalization Fees
enclosure in the Guide.(Applicants 75 years of age or older are exempted from fingerprinting and the fingerprinting fee).Write
your “A ”number on the back of the check or money order.
Send COPIES of the following documents,unless we ask for an original.
If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S.citizen,send the following 4 things:
4. Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last three years:
• Birth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth), or
• Naturalization certificate, or
• Certificate of Citizenship, or
• The inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse’s current U.S. passport, or
• Form FS-240, “Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America,” and
5. Your current marriage certificate; and
6. Proof of termination of all prior marriages of your spouse-divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s); and
7. Documents referring to you and your spouse:
• Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, or
• Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past three years, or
• An IRS tax return transcript for the last three years.