Your help and advice would be much appreciated. Here's our situation:
1. My wife moves to California in 1971 from Scotland and gets Green Card
2. Although her original Green Card didn't have an expiration date, we were planning a trip to Scotland in 1998, so we thought it would make sense to get an updated Green Card. She went to the INS office and applied with an I-90.
3. No Green Card arrives after a year and a half.
4. In early 2004, she goes to the INS office again and they tell her they had sent it to her mom's address in Carlsbad. We never received it, so they give her another temporary stamp and tell us to wait. Mom has since moved to Phoenix.
5. In October this year, they send letter to Mom's address in Phoenix telling us they had sent a request in March for more "evidence" and it was returned undeliverable and that they gave us a 12 week extension. Letter tells us we didn't reply and then application has been denied.
6. Mom keeps sealed letter and brings it to us at Thanksgiving thinking it was routine. By that time the 30 day appeal period has expired.
Help! I am a U.S. Citizen as are both of her children. She has lived in the US for 40 years, been a taxpayer, never gotten in any legal trouble. What do we do? If she goes to the INS office here in Phoenix again, are they going to arrest and deport her on the spot since he is technically now an illegal alien?
What do we do?