I have a typical case and hope somebody would give me a legal advise as to how i should proceed. This is regarding my I-94 status.
I joined company-B in Feb'2002. I had visa of my previous company(company-A) till May'2003. In the mean time I went to India in Nov'2002 for marriage. Till this time my new H1 was not apparoved and all i had my receipt notice. During my stay in India my H1 was approved (company-B)and my company has sent me the H1 copy and due to in sufficient time i had to come back with out getting my current company's (company-B)visa stamped. My visa on passport(with old company was still valid till May'2003. I came back on 01/12/2003 and at the port of entry i showed my new H1 approval copy and also showed my visa on passport (previous company). The officer asked me to get my visa stamped as soon as possible. He issued me a I-94.
I didnot give it much notice after the officer has given me the I-94. Also in May'2003 i sent my visa for revalidation with my current company (company-B). I got the new visa (valid till 08/24/2004).
After i got my new visa on my passport, i checked my I-94 copy that was issued during the port of entry and i realized that during port of entry the immigration officer has given me I-94 till 01/14/2003 (which was just for 2 days). The I-94 on my new H1 approval is valid till July' 2004. At this stage which I-94 holds good. This seems to be bit contradictory as on my H1 approval i still have vaid I-94 but my port of entry I-94 is already expired...I do not know if it was a mistake by the INS officer. My questions are
1. Am i legal now?
2. Is it possible to give a I-94 for just 2 days (intenional or un intentionally).
3. Can i apply for I-94 status adjustment.
4. Since i got new visa of current company (company-B) which is valid till July'2004...Am i legal to stay ?
5. My 6 year H1 period is ending in Jul'04 and will i have any problem during renewal of H1 (extension of H1 currenlt GC on process).
6. Can i apply for renewal now and already now its nearly 10 mos that my I-94 is expired.
7. If at all i have to go out of country for a new I-94, can i fly to Canada or Mexico...pls suggest me...
Please advise me.....
I would really appreciate for any kind of help...