• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Trump attacks Diversity Visa program

There are a load of BS claims made in that opinion piece. It is the exact same level of scrutiny and background checks any applicant for an immigrant visa has to go through, no matter the visa category. They may as well scrap all family based visas as this is the category which in fact is responsible for the largest numbers of non- or low-skilled people getting into the country. Or how about student visas? Or any other visa for that matter? It's stupid to be picking on one particular visa category and complain about certain countries of origin for a perceived terror threat in the same sentence, where citizens of those exact same countries are eligible to apply for any other visa, anyway!

I don't mind when they eliminate a big chunk of the family based visa category - where even distant family members can claim family sponsorship and get issued green cards, and instead, allocate these visas to merit based immigration.

However, I also hope whatever they will be doing, they should make it much easier and welcoming to allow entrepreneurs and small business people to come and be given a clear pathway to permanent residency - because currently, there are hundreds of thousands of business owners on E2 visas who have to renew their visa every few years and will never be eligible for a green card based on their business success, and their children (those born overseas) will have to leave the country at age 21 unless they find their own way to gain permanent legal status.

There are a load of BS claims made in that opinion piece. It is the exact same level of scrutiny and background checks any applicant for an immigrant visa has to go through, no matter the visa category. They may as well scrap all family based visas as this is the category which in fact is responsible for the largest numbers of non- or low-skilled people getting into the country. Or how about student visas? Or any other visa for that matter? It's stupid to be picking on one particular visa category and complain about certain countries of origin for a perceived terror threat in the same sentence, where citizens of those exact same countries are eligible to apply for any other visa, anyway!

I don't mind when they eliminate a big chunk of the family based visa category - where even distant family members can claim family sponsorship and get issued green cards, and instead, allocate these visas to merit based immigration.

However, I also hope whatever they will be doing, they should make it much easier and welcoming to allow entrepreneurs and small business people to come and be given a clear pathway to permanent residency - because currently, there are hundreds of thousands of business owners on E2 visas who have to renew their visa every few years and will never be eligible for a green card based on their business success, and their children (those born overseas) will have to leave the country at age 21 unless they find their own way to gain permanent legal status.

my thoughts exactly when i read the opinion piece (but i was lazy to write a long comment like you :D )

he wrote as if DV applicants would not go to the same level of scrutiny as other visa applicants - and it is funny that he pulled the statistics, that shows the level of checking they have managed to catch fraud entries and documents.

Still the statistic is meaningless without a comparison of the whole fraudulent cases they got for every other types of visa, as a comparison and compare the percentage. Sigh

I believe it is unlikely that we will see comprehensive immigration reform. Political debate in the US focuses at current on two topics: a) 'Dreamers' and b) Diversity Visa Program. Hence I would expect to see changes coming on those two topics over the coming few months. Nothing more, nothing less I guess.

USCIS director attacks both DV and chain migration http://thehill.com/opinion/immigrat...nd-lose-the-lottery-america-deserves-a-better

Makes the claim that “In the years since 9/11, multiple diversity visa immigrants have perpetrated or been convicted of terrorism-related acts in the United States”

Like other Trump appointees, Cissna shows little understanding of the issues and blatant disregard of the facts in order to unfairly editorialize, and further the political position. Frankly, we should expect better of someone charged with implementation of immigration laws.

Frankly, we should expect better of someone charged with implementation of immigration laws.

We should yes - but this regime is blatantly politicizing everything.

I would love someone to challenge him to give us details of who these “multiple” DV immigrants he refers to, are.

@EURO2014 What do you think will happen , will the Dv 2018 get removed or what im confused. Seeing all those attacks and im scared aswell! Thanks for the insights tho

@EURO2014 What do you think will happen , will the Dv 2018 get removed or what im confused. Seeing all those attacks and im scared aswell! Thanks for the insights tho
Only once a bill with any changes to current immigration law will be passed and signed by the President will it be clear what the respective implementation time frame will be. One would expect changes to affect DV-2019. However, being selected for further processing in DV-2018 does not constitute any legal protection rights per se. Time will tell. Best of luck to you and yours.

One would expect changes to affect DV-2019.
I most certainly hope not! The entry period has already been completed, and I don't think any comprehensive immigration law changes will be able to be worked out, decided on and passed by May next year, when selection letters will be issued. Of course, like you say, being selected for further processing does not constitute any legal rights, but it would be a huge loss of credibility to be ditching a program with 100,000+ already selected.

I most certainly hope not! The entry period has already been completed, and I don't think any comprehensive immigration law changes will be able to be worked out, decided on and passed by May next year, when selection letters will be issued. Of course, like you say, being selected for further processing does not constitute any legal rights, but it would be a huge loss of credibility to be ditching a program with 100,000+ already selected.
I personally do not disagree with you. Nevertheless, it is important to realize that, as mentioned above, political debate in the US focuses at current on two topics: a) 'Dreamers' and b) Diversity Visa Program. Both these topics are connected with "chain migration" issues being debated. If you are a member of congress believing that DV represents an ongoing danger to national security, of course this assessment would change dramatically and therefore seeking parallel implementation timing wise would not be out of the question. Next few months will tell!

@EURO2014 Does the win of Doug Jones Democrat win in Alabama change stuff for the DIversity visa since there will be a bill that needs to be passed ? Thanks man for your insights

@EURO2014 Does the win of Doug Jones Democrat win in Alabama change stuff for the DIversity visa since there will be a bill that needs to be passed ? Thanks man for your insights
In my opinion, no it won't change much if anything on this topic. Immigration is very different from Obamacare or Tax Reform in US public opinion and we haven't seen any one politician speak up for continuing the Diversity Visa Program or so called "chain migration" in its current form or shape - neither on Democrat nor Republican side. Negotiations will center on "Dreamers", on which mostly everyone concerned is focused on right now.

we haven't seen any one politician speak up for continuing the Diversity Visa Program or so called "chain migration" in its current form or shape - neither on Democrat nor Republican side.

I just hate it when they mix DV program and chain migration in one sentence - that is so stupid, because "chain migration" happens as a result of issuing green cards across ALL visa categories....so if they want to prevent someone's extended family to obtain legal permanent residence status, they need to make changes to the family based visa program.

I am also not surprised that no one is speaking up in favor of anything in that regard, as it is always easier to attach their names to a bill AGAINST something when it becomes popular.

I just hate it when they mix DV program and chain migration in one sentence - that is so stupid, because "chain migration" happens as a result of issuing green cards across ALL visa categories....so if they want to prevent someone's extended family to obtain legal permanent residence status, they need to make changes to the family based visa program.

I am also not surprised that no one is speaking up in favor of anything in that regard, as it is always easier to attach their names to a bill AGAINST something when it becomes popular.

The whole conversation is idiotic.

We had our medicals yesterday and consular interview 9/1. Pretty concerned we go through all of this only for it to be cancelled.
Had planned on our first trip being May, might have to make it sooner

We had our medicals yesterday and consular interview 9/1. Pretty concerned we go through all of this only for it to be cancelled.
Had planned on our first trip being May, might have to make it sooner

DV2018 will not be affected. It just won't.