Is it a problem leaving the U.S. with expired green card?

Immi2001

Registered Users (C)
My parents' green cards will expire next summer, but they don't plan to file for renewal or replacement cards. They will leave the U.S. next fall. Would it be a problem after their green cards have expired?

I don't think the US Custom cares about it when people are going outside of the U.S., but just curious if anyone has experienced it.

Thanks a lot

They can always leave the US, with or without their GC - expired or not. Nobody checks for it.

My parents' green cards will expire next summer, but they don't plan to file for renewal or replacement cards. They will leave the U.S. next fall. Would it be a problem after their green cards have expired?

I don't think the US Custom cares about it when people are going outside of the U.S., but just curious if anyone has experienced it.

Thanks a lot

Are they going to apply for naturalization or are they going to let their permanent residency lapse? If the latter remember they should formally file to relinquish their green cards so as not to still be liable to file tax returns with the IRS.

There's no restrictions for living the US (unless you're a criminal or something) - only for entering, so it will be fine