help, employer is not willing to put start and end dates on the employment letter

Can I use other evidence such as I own properties in Canada as evidence instead of duration or end date? Thanks.
No, that is not what is meant. We are discussing the duration of your TN employment, not what you intend to do when it ends. For all they care, You can live in Canada i you wish, but the TN duration CANNOT exceed 3 years per application. Taking Cdn documents is silly.

And just because one or two get by without a specific duration or end date, doesn't improve your chances. You were correct to question why it wasn't mentioned, so get it fixed.

No, that is not what is meant. We are discussing the duration of your TN employment, not what you intend to do when it ends. For all they care, You can live in Canada i you wish, but the TN duration CANNOT exceed 3 years per application. Taking Cdn documents is silly.

And just because one or two get by without a specific duration or end date, doesn't improve your chances. You were correct to question why it wasn't mentioned, so get it fixed.
Thanks for your reply. Would be okay stating, such as "beginning January 1, 2018 and ongoing?" as a duration?

No. "Ongoing" is not allowed. It MUST end. And it must end no later than 3 years from the day you show up at the border. that is why it is best to simply have no dates and "for a duration not to exceed 3 years" and the border officer will stamp it for that day's date plus 3 years (sometimes minus one day).

No. "Ongoing" is not allowed. It MUST end. And it must end no later than 3 years from the day you show up at the border. that is why it is best to simply have no dates and "for a duration not to exceed 3 years" and the border officer will stamp it for that day's date plus 3 years (sometimes minus one day).

If the employer won't provide an end date or a duration, I won't get the TN status then. ):

you should try to explain to the employer that it does not mean that your work authorization cannot be renewed. In fact, compared to other work statuses, renewing TN is easy and fast. Tell them that even other work statuses (e.g. H1) are for temporary employment. Talk to HR over the phone to explain your point and encourage them to either write the duration or an end date (which is extensible later on easily)

you should try to explain to the employer that it does not mean that your work authorization cannot be renewed. In fact, compared to other work statuses, renewing TN is easy and fast. Tell them that even other work statuses (e.g. H1) are for temporary employment. Talk to HR over the phone to explain your point and encourage them to either write the duration or an end date (which is extensible later on easily)
I sent em email to HR. If I don't hear back soon, I will call to explain. Thanks.

Have you encounter any cases the employer rescind offer because the request of adding the term of employment in offer?

No, but very few offer letters are acceptable to get a TN. The misconception that the employer is having is that the "offer letter" and "TN letter" are one and the same: they are not. Your offer letter is what it is. It is what will dictate the terms of your employment, etc. The TN letter, which replaces the offer letter at the border, has to have specific immigration terms in it, including the limitation on TN duration of 3 years.

They don't need to change the offer letter. What they need to do is produce a TN letter specifically for -- and only for -- the obtaining of your TN status.

No, but very few offer letters are acceptable to get a TN. The misconception that the employer is having is that the "offer letter" and "TN letter" are one and the same: they are not. Your offer letter is what it is. It is what will dictate the terms of your employment, etc. The TN letter, which replaces the offer letter at the border, has to have specific immigration terms in it, including the limitation on TN duration of 3 years.

They don't need to change the offer letter. What they need to do is produce a TN letter specifically for -- and only for -- the obtaining of your TN status.
Thank you nelsona. I forwarded your points to the employer. Hopefully, it will help to clarify the misconception.

nelsona, thank you for your help. My future employer emailed back said they are in the process of reviewing my request of (putting an employment duration on the TN letter) with their Legal Department. are there any legal consequences for the employer to put an end date or duration for a permanent (or a job without an actual end date) job? are there any websites with information for the employer that I can send them as a reference?

Thanks again.

As I said, the TN letter stands on its own and promises nothing to or for the employer (other than to accurately describe that tasks you will be doing). It is not an employment document. You need a separate TN letter which abides by immigration law -- which requires the TN status request have a 3 year or less duration. Period. Full stop.

Obviously they are having trouble dealing with the fact that you are an non-citizen. This may be too much for them. They have a legal department which they are paying handsomely. Let them earn their keep and dig for more info. Not me. This has been dragging now for more than 2 weeks. Do they want you or not?

As I said, the TN letter stands on its own and promises nothing to or for the employer (other than to accurately describe that tasks you will be doing). It is not an employment document. You need a separate TN letter which abides by immigration law -- which requires the TN status request have a 3 year or less duration. Period. Full stop.

Obviously they are having trouble dealing with the fact that you are an non-citizen. This may be too much for them. They have a legal department which they are paying handsomely. Let them earn their keep and dig for more info. Not me. This has been dragging now for more than 2 weeks. Do they want you or not?

thank you nelsona, they finally gave the revised letter. What happened, I went to Montreal Trudeau airport with the original letter. I was rejected without the 3 year duration on the letter. And I sent
document with checked deficiency from CBP officer to future employer and asked if they can add the 3 year term on it. They then sent my request to their legal department and finally got approved and gave me revised letter.

I just called the Montreal Trudeau airport to ask if I can apply for the TN status a couple of weeks in advance. The officer said no more than a couple of days. I tried to explain that I need to give current employer early notice. She said you have to deal with it and hung up. I don't know what is going on there or it is like this everywhere recently? the officer sounded very impatient and rude.

I hope I can give up at this point after gone this far....

Thanks,

As I said earlier, when one puts a fixed start date on a letter, you are boxing yourself in a corner. better to just put 3 year duration with no start/end date.

Never call the POE, they don't handle questions very well. Their job is to admit or not admit you when you show up. If you want, you can drive to the border and get your TN. They usually give some leeway on start date, by reducing the end date to 3 years from that day you show up at the border.

Btw, notice how poorly your firm treated you, by refusing to heed your request for a better letter, and forcing you to miss a flight, or reschedule, costing you money. And this is before the hired you, when typically they are nicer than once your are their employee. Expect this kind of shi##y behavior for the duration of your career with this firm.

As I said earlier, when one puts a fixed start date on a letter, you are boxing yourself in a corner. better to just put 3 year duration with no start/end date.

Never call the POE, they don't handle questions very well. Their job is to admit or not admit you when you show up. If you want, you can drive to the border and get your TN. They usually give some leeway on start date, by reducing the end date to 3 years from that day you show up at the border.

Btw, notice how poorly your firm treated you, by refusing to heed your request for a better letter, and forcing you to miss a flight, or reschedule, costing you money. And this is before the hired you, when typically they are nicer than once your are their employee. Expect this kind of shi##y behavior for the duration of your career with this firm.

my mistake by putting a start date. I learned my lessons. There seem a lot of layers in the administration in the new employer' s organization. It went through lots of people just to get that revised TN letter approved. They don't sponsor H1B.

I am very far away from the border. Is it plausible to play to a city new the border and drive across the border in a rental car? I checked the internet. it says it may cause duty etc to drive across using a rental car.

Many thanks for your help during this process.

I thought you said you were going through YUL? I meant rent a car in Montreal and go to the border, then just take your flight with TN in hand.

In any event, you live in US. Therefore you can rent a car anywhere and cross into US and Canada. It is Cdn residents that cannot rent a car in US and cross into Canada.

I thought you said you were going through YUL? I meant rent a car in Montreal and go to the border, then just take your flight with TN in hand.

In any event, you live in US. Therefore you can rent a car anywhere and cross into US and Canada. It is Cdn residents that cannot rent a car in US and cross into Canada.

I was rejected at YUL for the first try. I live in Canada but my home is very far away from any Canada/US border. I have to fly to a city and get TN at the airport or rent a car then drive to the border to get TN then U-turn. Is it even plausible to rent a car on the Canada side then drive across (e.g., the bridge close to YUL)?

Then you will just have to go when it is time to get the TN. I hope the firm is paying for all these trips.

I'm sure you realize when you go to a Cdn airport you must be also flying to US to apply for TN. Where were you headed last time you applied?

Then you will just have to go when it is time to get the TN. I hope the firm is paying for all these trips.

I'm sure you realize when you go to a Cdn airport you must be also flying to US to apply for TN. Where were you headed last time you applied?

I think so. Start date is Jan 16. I plan to go to YUL to apply around 10th. 13th and 14th are Saturday and Sunday. 15th is their holiday. Most forum discussions suggested a week or so in advance is good. I didn't know where the officer's "a couple of days" came from. I hope this will work. I need to get a place to live when I get to the US. I don't understand why they don't pre-approve the visa and have an effective work start date on the visa. what is the difference?

Last time I applied at YUL. I was rejected. The officer called the flight attendants to let me out. I didn't have check-in luggage. Then I canceled my flight (to Chicago).