Planning to return to USA with a 2 Year Re-Entry Permit-Any experience ?

My mother left USA in Jan/2016 with a 2 Year Re-Entry Permit. Planning to bring her back.

I have the following questions:

1). What questions can be asked at the airport since it has been over 1 year that she left USA ?

2). She will be carrying her native country passport, green card, and Re-Entry permit. In addition, she will have her 2015 and 2016 Tax Transcripts. Does she need to carry anything else ?

Thanks

My mother left USA in Jan/2016 with a 2 Year Re-Entry Permit. Planning to bring her back.

I have the following questions:

1). What questions can be asked at the airport since it has been over 1 year that she left USA ?

2). She will be carrying her native country passport, green card, and Re-Entry permit. In addition, she will have her 2015 and 2016 Tax Transcripts. Does she need to carry anything else ?

Thanks

Hi @sunasha2001

I'm not an expert on this but will share some information obtained from the USCIS website:

While brief trips abroad generally are not problematic, the officer may consider criteria such as whether your intention was to visit abroad only temporarily, whether you maintained U.S. family and community ties, maintained U.S employment, filed U.S. income taxes as a resident, or otherwise established your intention to return to the United States as your permanent home. Other factors that may be considered include whether you maintained a U.S. mailing address, kept U.S. bank accounts and a valid U.S. driver’s license, own property or run a business in the United States, or any other evidence that supports the temporary nature of your absence.

Not all of these criteria would apply but at least for you to have an idea. Hope all goes well with your mom and her return to the U.S.

They could ask her why she was out for so long, but questioning is unlikely to be difficult for someone with an RP.

Quick question:

I was planning to go and bring my mother to USA (with green card and Re-Entry Permit). But i am not able to do so.
Is it ok to just let my mother come alone to USA ? She does not speak English. I am concerned about questioning at the airport. She will be coming with a Green Card (valid until 2024) + Re-Entry permit that is valid until Jan/2018. She also has her native country passport.

She left USA in Jan/2016 with a Two Year Re-Entry Permit.

Thanks,

It’s kind of a strange question. She has what she needs to re-enter. From what I understand though they do usually ask questions of people coming in with REPs. But even if you travel with her, is there any guarantee they’d allow you to interpret for her?
What language does she speak (wondering if it’s likely they’ll have someone at the airport who can translate for her).
By the way, is she going to start learning English now that she’s resuming residence in the US? From the dates you gave she spent approx 2 years in the US before without learning any English?

i have seen officer at PoE (JFK) while interviewing an old chinese lady, asking around (to the people queuing to get to the counter) if anyone can translate for the old lady. Someone stepped up and became the translator. So it depends on your luck if someone can translate for her. Unless she is the type that is very adventurous, it can be an unpleasant experience for her if there were no one that can translate for here there.

Thank you. This will be direct flight from native country to JFK. Therefore, there should be plenty of people who should be able to help with translation