TN Visa Extension - Consular Process Timelines

CDN9

Hi, Is there anyone who applied for TN extension through consular processing (Vermont Service Centre) and what are the recent processing times look like?

I have checked the Vermont Service Centre processing times and they are showing the same time as H1B (processing application received as of Jun 12) as of Aug 31, 2017. I am not sure whether the TN extension process is quicker or it follows the same timelines as H1B extension.

Appreciate if anyone who went through the consular process could share their experience.

Just for clarification, processing in Vermont is not called consular processing, it is merely I-129 "processing", as opposed to getting TN at a border station.

Consular processing refers to the final stages of Green card, when one decides whether to use Adjustment of Status (AOS) or Consular Processing (CP) for their green card. Consular processing occurs at -- you guessed it -- a Consulate abroad, not at Vermont or any other Service center.

Since both H1-B and TN's would be extensions of current status, and thus benefit from 240-day grace periods, those times look about right. I've heard about 4 months these days. The long timeframe is why many submit Premium Processing.

Thanks nelsona! You are right, it is not a consular process, rather TN extension (I-129) within US. Our employer filed for my TN extension and also TDs for my dependents. I insisted them to give me the letter so that I can go to border and get it quickly before 2-3 weeks of current I-94 expiration. They went ahead and filed I-129 instead with normal processing. As they just filed it (Nov 1), I am planning to request them to upgrade it to Premium processing once I get the acknowledgement receipt from USICS.

I am not sure they have to upgrade both the TN and TD together to premium or just TN and then I will go to border with my approved I-94 and get rest of the TD extensions.

I-539 (which are for TDs), are not eligible for premium processing. But remember what I said: TN and TDs submitted by mail get a 240-day grace period, there is no need for the approval to come in before your current TN/TDs expire, so as long as you don't leave US after they expire, you are fine (and if you do, then you simply ask for TN at border with letter, etc -- and TD).

I-539 (which are for TDs), are not eligible for premium processing. But remember what I said: TN and TDs submitted by mail get a 240-day grace period, there is no need for the approval to come in before your current TN/TDs expire, so as long as you don't leave US after they expire, you are fine (and if you do, then you simply ask for TN at border with letter, etc -- and TD).

Thanks nelsona! My wife is an Indian citizen and she has a visa stamped on her passport which will expire along with I-94! However, as you said, we need not to worry as long as we have receipt number for her I-539, she can continue stay in the US as long as her petition is in process irrespective of her visa and I-94 expiry! Once we get the approval, we will go to Canada and get her visa stamped through consulate as by that time she will have her extended I-94 also (visa stamp is required in case she wants to travel out of North America)!
Thanks again for the valuable inputs!

HI
can anyone tell me the processing time for TN Visa extension. Mine is filed on November 1st for TN Visa extension through mail, but I have not received acknowledgement receipt. My existing visa is getting expired by end of December.

HI
can anyone tell me the processing time for TN Visa extension. Mine is filed on November 1st for TN Visa extension through mail, but I have not received acknowledgement receipt. My existing visa is getting expired by end of December.

I am also in the same boat. My employer applied for my TN extension (Normal Processing) through mail on Nov 1st, I haven't received acknowledgement receipt yet. They say, it takes 3-4 weeks, so, may be we have to wait for another 2 weeks.

It probably takes MUCH longer than 3-4 weeks, since premium takes 1-2 weeks. You are looking at 3-4 MONTHS.

Hi
I got a job offer from US and my employer is planning to apply as Management Consultant. I have master in Business administration, but no consultancy experience. I need to know for applying as Management consultant, do I require a degree and also 5 years of experience in consultancy. Employer is telling me since I have masters, then there is no requirement for 5 years of experience.

I am also in the same boat. My employer applied for my TN extension (Normal Processing) through mail on Nov 1st, I haven't received acknowledgement receipt yet. They say, it takes 3-4 weeks, so, may be we have to wait for another 2 weeks.
Thanks CDN..please let me know once u receive the acknowledgement.

Mine is also normal processing. what is your status in USCIS. Mine is showing "we received your form I-129, petition for a non immigration worker"

Mine is also normal processing. what is your status in USCIS. Mine is showing "we received your form I-129, petition for a non immigration worker"

Showing the same message for me and my dependents. Current timelines for Vermont Centre showing 3 months, given the holidays in December, the timelines may stretch a bit further.

Hi
Status changed to "My name was updated for I-129", but I have not updated my name. Does anyone know what is this USCIS status.

Hi
Status changed to "My name was updated for I-129", but I have not updated my name. Does anyone know what is this USCIS status.

I just searched in google, it looks like it happened to some folks who applied for H1B extension,

some answered "From what I read from some forums Name Was Updated status means they started to look into your application. You may expect a decision soon."