• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Trump attacks Diversity Visa program

Does anyone know if congress were to eliminate the DV program this fiscal year if that will affect the DV -2018 selectees?

I don't think this is something that will happen anytime soon..so I'm assuming the applicants for this year are safe..

All Trump is doing is huffing and puffing in his ignorant way. His base will think he is "ending" the DV lottery program and then they will continue reading Foxnews/Breitbart and so on. They will miss the part when he actually mentions asking Congress to act - which will be a renewed push on the Raise act - but that bill is unlikely to get much support - even with the increased political concern (misplaced) about the DV lottery.

One day DV lottery will go away - but that day isn't here yet.

All Trump is doing is huffing and puffing in his ignorant way. His base will think he is "ending" the DV lottery program and then they will continue reading Foxnews/Breitbart and so on. They will miss the part when he actually mentions asking Congress to act - which will be a renewed push on the Raise act - but that bill is unlikely to get much support - even with the increased political concern (misplaced) about the DV lottery.

One day DV lottery will go away - but that day isn't here yet.

I hope nowhere soon. We who are not selected are really hoping a lot that DV continues

Does any one have any clue if the President can decide to end DV 2018? Perhaps make it tougher to get the visa?

Does any one have any clue if the President can decide to end DV 2018? Perhaps make it tougher to get the visa?

Im so scared that it will end this is kinda serious but idk i dont know what to say lol , im DV-2018 Selectee and im frustrated and confused and scared at the same time.

Have you been following Trump’s tweets since he became president?
I mean.... this shouldn’t be surprising. I don’t disagree with your sentiment of course.

They’re doing this anyway, for all immigrant visas. That’s why Trump’s response is just another kneejerk unthinking one. And I say that as someone who (some of you will know) actually agrees that DV doesn’t make a whole lot of sense (neither does the extent of allowable chain migration imo) and a sensible program to attract skills is much more in America’s long term interest.

I'm actually one of those who think they should be more selective with DV Visa candidates, a bachelor degree with a B2 certificate in English as a minimum. Maybe a mix of the canadian point-based system and the american diversity concept which I don't find that bad, otherwise they'll end up with 100% of cheap (and not always that skilled) Indian techies (as it's happening with b1 visas) while highly skilled Europeans and Africans will find it very hard to emigrate to the US.

Anyway, the DV program is objectively not a problem, quite the contrary, the immigrants who benefit from this program are some of the most skilled, most hard-working and least problematic of all immigrants, especially compared to the yearly hundreds of thousands of family members of poor and unskilled central american immigrants, or refugees from failed states and war-torn countries. This is just Trump's cheap tactic to enflame Breitbart readers and hardcore supporters.

Anyway, the DV program is objectively not a problem, quite the contrary, the immigrants who benefit from this program are some of the most skilled, most hard-working and least problematic of all immigrants, especially compared to the yearly hundreds of thousands of family members of poor and unskilled central american immigrants, or refugees from failed states and war-torn countries. This is just Trump's cheap tactic to enflame Breitbart readers and hardcore supporters.

Many of those refugees are also educated and well trained. And people can learn English. It’s been objectively shown that the least skilled and least contributing immigrants are indeed the chain family migrants (though this certainly doesn’t make them “evil”). Basically Trump thinks anyone except the NRA is a target for his tweetstorms.

Funny that he attacked DV because an idiot of a terrorist came to the USA through DV (imagine the chance of being selected in the first place!) but no such tweets when homegrown white terrorist killed 50+ in Vegas (oh and so many other terrorism instances done by white, non muslims affiliated terrorists).

He has his sight on immigrants i suppose. non Caucasian immigrants.

Let's just hope he bans the country the guy came from, and not the ENTIRE program.

This is not a solution. Making sweeping bans for entire nations because of one individual is woefully unfair. The program is set up to allow entry for any country with low immigration rates. Uzbekistan's population is only around 30 million, I doubt they will ever have high enough levels to be disqualified.

Hi, do you guys think that this might affect DV based green card holders? I am currently out of the country and I won't be back until early next year, should I change my travel plans?

Hi, do you guys think that this might affect DV based green card holders? I am currently out of the country and I won't be back until early next year, should I change my travel plans?

you already have a GC in hand. Any changes would most likely affect future applicants.

It is possible that the end of DV will come as part of a DACA "package deal" together with other changes, jointly agreed between Republicans and Democrats and subsequently signed into law by Trump, towards the end of this year. Of course this would change immigration law going forward, not retroactively.

It is possible that the end of DV will come as part of a DACA "package deal" together with other changes, jointly agreed between Republicans and Democrats and subsequently signed into law by Trump, towards the end of this year. Of course this would change immigration law going forward, not retroactively.

My fear is that exactly this will happen and that the new law would bar DV18 winners who haven't yet activated their green cards from moving to the States.