Child support debt

aadamska10

I'm a mum of 2 girls (7 and 10). We live in Poland.
Their dad lives in Henderson, Nevada. He is a green card holder, and is going to apply for citizenship soon.
I have a child support order from Polish court (JUL 2015). In DEC 2015 I filed the papers to enforce the order in US. But no effect untill now. It is not my goal to make him problems, but the only chance to get the money for kids, as having US passport is the most important issue for him. At the same time I know he has a really well paid job. Is there any chance to report about the child support debt? How can I do it? Please advise...

I'm a mum of 2 girls (7 and 10). We live in Poland.
Their dad lives in Henderson, Nevada. He is a green card holder, and is going to apply for citizenship soon.
I have a child support order from Polish court (JUL 2015). In DEC 2015 I filed the papers to enforce the order in US. But no effect untill now. It is not my goal to make him problems, but the only chance to get the money for kids, as having US passport is the most important issue for him. At the same time I know he has a really well paid job. Is there any chance to report about the child support debt? How can I do it? Please advise...

This is a very delicate issue and you need to get in touch with a good immigration lawyer for better advise. You can try to contact the U.S. embassy in Poland for additional advise in terms of how to obtain the child support, if its already approved by the Poland Government.

You need some kind of family lawyer, not an immigration lawyer. Sounds like you want to try prevent him becoming a citizen in some sort of blackmail process for the child support. While I fully sympathize with you on the child support matter, I don’t believe this is the correct way to approach the situation. You need to focus rather on whatever process it is you filed to enforce it in the US and how to get that to work, whether through the courts or whatever. This is not really an immigration issue at all so you probably need a different forum.

Actually I need to update my response above. I happened to stumble across another discussion, that says US takes child support very seriously and that not following a court order for child support or even not maintaining a child even when there is not a court order, is seen as contrary to the good character you need to show for citizenship. So a citizenship application can be denied if it can be shown that the person has not been paying child support. So a rather messy approach but it seems it can be used as leverage. Still think it best to get a lawyer involved in terms of how best to do it all though.

I fully support you doing whatever means you can to get the child support that is owed to you. This is a deadbeat dad and has left you to your own means to support your child. I suggest in addition to getting a lawyer, you make it clear to him/his lawyer that if you do not receive full payment for all the back money owed to you that you will send full communication to DHS to high light and prevent him from becoming a citizen.