• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 KENYA SELECTEES FORUM

Dear experts,

First of all,greetings from a dv2016 here.

Well,it's now merely a year plus since I landed here.Therefore, as you can see,am not yet eligible to apply for USC and the thing is;

1)I want to go home, marry my fiancee and kickstart the visa journey for her by petition but I have no idea on how to go about it.

2)Turns out,she had a child from a short-lived domestic partnership which she quit as it turned abusive.

3)If probably a non-citizen can't petition for spouse,is there any other kind of visa that can be filed for a fiancee/spouse by an LPR then do an Adjustment of Status later on?

I hereby,welcome your good advice as we look forward to getting things done.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Dear experts,

Well,it's now merely a year plus since I landed here.Therefore, as you can see,am not yet eligible to apply for USC and the thing is;

1)I want to go home, marry my fiancee and kickstart the visa journey for her by petition but I have no idea on how to go about it.

2)Turns out,she had a child from a short-lived domestic partnership which she quit as it turned abusive.

3)If probably a non-citizen can't petition for spouse,is there any other kind of visa that can be filed for a fiancee/spouse by an LPR then do an Adjustment of Status later on?

Thank you in advance!

You can indeed petition for a spouse as a permanent resident, but you need to find an appropriate forum to ask questions. You’re not going to get experts on that here. A number of people going this route do find using an attorney is useful.
Here is the official page on it:
https://www.uscis.gov/family/family...pouses-live-united-states-permanent-residents

Dear experts,

Thank you in advance!

You start by filing form I-130 with USCIS. Once that is approved, you wait until her priority date becomes current following which she will be invited by the US embassy where she lives for an interview - mind you the current processing time is 2 years. She cannot process AOS as a result of the processing time involved and because she's not currently based in the US. Entering the US on a NIV with the mind of status adjustment is considered fraudulent.

IMO, you don't need a lawyer for the process. You can start by going over the link Susie provided above. Then search online for forums dealing with family based immigration through marriage to read about other people's journey and to post questions for further guidance. You can start with this one:
http://forums.immigration.com/forums/family-based-green-card-through-marriage-relative.121/

Dear experts,

Thank you in advance!

Petitioning for a spouse or child while you are on a green card takes forever.. as for the child it will depend of you had a step relationto the child when you marry her

Petitioning for a spouse or child while you are on a green card takes forever.. as for the child it will depend of you had a step relationto the child when you marry her

Hmm not quite regarding the second part of your post. There's no requirement for a step relationship to be proven before one can sponsor a step child.

Hmm not quite regarding the second part of your post. There's no requirement for a step relationship to be proven before one can sponsor a step child.

My bad, I worded it wrong.. this is what I meant

• A step-child, as long as the marriage creating the step-relationship occurred before the child turned 18