• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

1) They don't ask about the province. Just the name of the city/town. When they do, there's a field for it.
2) If you used passport when you last arrived you did not use travel document. It's not applicable to you.
3) H1B temporary worker, H4 dependent
4) it's the issue with your software. As an example I have 'J-2 dependent' in 22.a and 'J-2' in 23.c. It accepted all the characters without any problem.
5) same as above (you can always print and use a pen if everything else fails)
6) I-797 and a copy of visa stamp sounds good enough for me. H1b holder can additionally provide a letter of employment.
7) DS-2019 is a certificate of eligibility. It's long name for it.

About the 3 and 4 I might for real have an issue with my software because at home I have a mac and it let me write everything, so I thought there were mire chance to write something wrong. At work I have microsoft but it is giving me all these biases. Now I don't know which one to use anymore :(

have anyone used this site for translation if your documents not in English, feed back is appreciated
rev.com
the web site claims that
Rev is the largest provider of Certified
Translation in the US and is recognized as
a primary provider of translation services
for the USCIS.

have anyone used this site for translation if your documents not in English, feed back is appreciated
rev.com
the web site claims that
Rev is the largest provider of Certified
Translation in the US and is recognized as
a primary provider of translation services
for the USCIS.

I have not used that one, but the one I used were very efficient www.asaptranslate.com
PS: many sites claim 100% USCIS approval of their translations

Sm1smom,

Britsimon referred me to you regarding this question:
Since my number will not be current until May or June and I’m in my last year of studies on an F1 visa, I am planning to apply for OPT in February 2018 to hopefully secure a job for next year. Does my filing of DS260 this past August, affect the potential approval of my OPT? Or does OPT gets affected once one submits the AOS packet?

Mom, I’m currently on OPT, I got selected for H1B which will be active in 1st October 2017. My CN is 2018AF00004xxx which my case active in October.
  1. Do I need to fill for EAD? Since I already have the H1B to cover me for employment., Or I should get the EAD so that I can have multiple Jobs with the new EAD.
  2. Do you advice I fill for AP even though at this point I don’t have any intentions of traveling till I get my GC?
  3. In sending the supporting document do I send all i-20’s or ignore them and send document regarding only H1B, because as at the time of filling my current status will be H1B?

Hi mom,

According to the Med Exam Validity memo, my I693 validity is for 6 months. I did the exam in July thinking my CN will be current in October, but turned out the my CN will most likely be current in December i.e. 5 months later. Provided my CN is current in December, is it risky to send my application then (while my I693 is still active)?

I ask because my CS told me that the I693 is processed in the time leading up to biometrics and could last a couple months (by which time it would be expired).

May I know what your thoughts on this are?

Many thanks

Sm1smom,

Britsimon referred me to you regarding this question:
Since my number will not be current until May or June and I’m in my last year of studies on an F1 visa, I am planning to apply for OPT in February 2018 to hopefully secure a job for next year. Does my filing of DS260 this past August, affect the potential approval of my OPT? Or does OPT gets affected once one submits the AOS packet?

You're fine. Apply for OPT as planned.

Mom, I’m currently on OPT, I got selected for H1B which will be active in 1st October 2017. My CN is 2018AF00004xxx which my case active in October.
  1. Do I need to fill for EAD? Since I already have the H1B to cover me for employment., Or I should get the EAD so that I can have multiple Jobs with the new EAD.
  2. Do you advice I fill for AP even though at this point I don’t have any intentions of traveling till I get my GC?
  3. In sending the supporting document do I send all i-20’s or ignore them and send document regarding only H1B, because as at the time of filling my current status will be H1B?

1. You may file for an AOS based EAD and use it to take up another job, however be sure you've familiarized yourself with the cons of working with an AOS based EAD and you're prepared for the potential consequence should your AOS petition get denied. Please see the AOS process spreadsheet (link below) for the cons of using an AOS based EAD card for employment.
goo.gl/0va2DU (AOS Package Tab)

2. You may apply for it if you wish. Also see 1 above.

3. Include copies of I-20 - you want to demonstrate you've always maintained a legal status.

Hi mom,

According to the Med Exam Validity memo, my I693 validity is for 6 months. I did the exam in July thinking my CN will be current in October, but turned out the my CN will most likely be current in December i.e. 5 months later. Provided my CN is current in December, is it risky to send my application then (while my I693 is still active)?

I ask because my CS told me that the I693 is processed in the time leading up to biometrics and could last a couple months (by which time it would be expired).

May I know what your thoughts on this are?

Many thanks

What your CS told you is not correct. The medical exam is required to be valid as at the time of petition adjudication by the IO.

Anyway, the medical exam is now valid for one year, you should be fine, unless your adjudication process goes pass July 2018, in which case your IO may request you do a new medical exam before you can be approved. This is quite rare though.

And thanks for bringing this up, I've since updated the AOS process spreadsheet accordingly.

Thanks mom.
With the payment my current personal check has my old address on it, which is different from the address am using to file, do you think it will affect me or I should get certified check from the bank, so that I can track it from them when it is cashed?

Thanks mom.
With the payment my current personal check has my old address on it, which is different from the address am using to file, do you think it will affect me or I should get certified check from the bank, so that I can track it from them when it is cashed?

The address on the personal check is irrelevant considering the fact that you could actually get someone else to issue the check on your behalf. And you can track when the personal check gets cashed.

1. You may file for an AOS based EAD and use it to take up another job, however be sure you've familiarized yourself with the cons of working with an AOS based EAD and you're prepared for the potential consequence should your AOS petition get denied. Please see the AOS process spreadsheet (link below) for the cons of using an AOS based EAD card for employment.
goo.gl/0va2DU (AOS Package Tab)

6fii: Maybe worth reading this year's AOS thread to see - was it 2? - recent cases of people who've lost their status through using AOS-based EADs when their AOS was denied due to DV visas running out.

The address on the personal check is irrelevant considering the fact that you could actually get someone else to issue the check on your behalf. And you can track when the personal check gets cashed.

Thanks do I write two separate checks or one for the total?

6fii: Maybe worth reading this year's AOS thread to see - was it 2? - recent cases of people who've lost their status through using AOS-based EADs when their AOS was denied due to DV visas running out.
I will but my CN is 2018AF00004xxx will be current in October so its unlikely that will happen to me and as the spreadsheet states it
"NOTE: If you use an AOS based EAD card to take up authorized employment and if your AOS petition does not get approved by the end of your applicable FY, you may no longer have a valid status to fall back on, unless you're currently on a dual intent visa such as H1/H4 or L1/L2 visa. "
In my case I will be on H1B so I should qualify for the fall back situation in this case.

I will but my CN is 2018AF00004xxx will be current in October so its unlikely that will happen to me and as the spreadsheet states it

Don't be so certain the possibility of visas running out will not happen to you because your CN is current in October. Some of the DV2017 selectees who just lost out due to none visa availability were also current in October as a matter of fact, and they filed in a timely manner. Never ever assume anything in this immigration journey.

Don't be so certain the possibility of visas running out will not happen to you because your CN is current in October. Some of the DV2017 selectees who just lost out due to none visa availability were also current in October as a matter of fact, and they filed in a timely manner. Never ever assume anything in this immigration journey.

Good morning everyone :)
I'm in the same situation of 6fii: on H1b right now and I am not actually plan to leave my job. My understanding from the spreadsheet and all the posts is that is better for me not to include the EAD application in my AOS petition.
It is actually no need and can even hurt my situation in case something is going to go wrong. Am I correct in my understanding?

Good morning everyone :)
I'm in the same situation of 6fii: on H1b right now and I am not actually plan to leave my job. My understanding from the spreadsheet and all the posts is that is better for me not to include the EAD application in my AOS petition.
It is actually no need and can even hurt my situation in case something is going to go wrong. Am I correct in my understanding?

Don't file for an AOS based EAD card if you're not planning on leaving your current employer.

A side note: the average processing time for an EAD is 3 - 4 months, roughly same as the average processing time for the GC itself. The EAD ends up not being useful for most DV based AOS petitioners, except when the process is held up due to a prolonged background check.

Don't file for an AOS based EAD card if you're not planning on leaving your current employer.

A side note: the average processing time for an EAD is 3 - 4 months, roughly same as the average processing time for the GC itself. The EAD ends up not being useful for most DV based AOS petitioners, except when the process is held up due to a prolonged background check.

@Sm1smom This is my plan, get AOS EAD and use it for other jobs whiles still working with my current company on H1B as I wait for the GC, am aware of the processing time it could end up been useless if it comes same time with the GC. Now what happens if I get the AOS EAD and don't use it does it affect anything ?