L1B converstion to TN visa with same employer

Tester_Mx

I am waiting for the USCIS final response regarding my visa conversion, however, my current L1 has expired in the first days of september 2017, then I am unable to work as my I-9 has not been confirmed with my employer. I have a very good offer where new employer can support me with a TN visa, Can I resign to current employer and cancel current process or Do I need to wait until USCIS confirm and then resign and change employer?

Thanks.

You do not need to wait to get a TN with this new employer, and you don't have to resign to get the TN either. You should always wait until your next job is secured with TN in hand before resigning previous positions, in all cases. there is nothing wrong with having multiple TNs.

So, go get the TN consular visa and I-94 at the border (or better have new sponsor file I-129 premium so that you don't need to get visa), and then decide what to do about Job #1. Technically, they aren't even your employer at this point. Really, it was sloppy business on their part to not get you your TN before your L1 expired. Don't let their sloppiness and delay affect you now.

Thanks for your prompt response! So, can I have a TN in the US consulate at the border with the new employer while waiting for the resolution for my current one? current one it seems they have filed directly to USCIS (via I-129) while new employer is not supporting me with such method but to go to the US consulate.

Thanks again.

Of course! You need a TN for each employer you have. they are completely independent processes. No need to wait for one to get another. Only inconvenience is that you need to get a consular visa. But if you had one, then you could get TN at border tomorrow.