• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hello Mom,
I have a quick question: I have received yesterday the DV fees receipt by mail. I submitted 2 money order of 330$ (one for me and one for my husband).
In the form I sent there was
-my name
-my address
-case number
-total amount: 660$ (330$ per person) this is exactly what I wrote
-number of person applying: 2

The receipt was a copy of that form with 330$ circled and a stamp saying PAID.
I'm worry they have received only one money order and that's why 330$ is circled. I try to check with the serial numbers but the postal service has no info for both the money order.
What do you think is better to do? Should I call them?

You should have sent a single money order to cover both of you, there was no need to separate the payments. It's possible they mistook the 2nd money order as mistakenly issued.

Anyway send an email to KCC and ask they to confirm they received and cashed both money orders for you and your spouse.

You should have sent a single money order to cover both of you, there was no need to separate the payments. It's possible they mistook the 2nd money order as mistakenly issued.

Anyway send an email to KCC and ask they to confirm they received and cashed both money orders for you and your spouse.

Ok I will check with them.
Many Thanks for your answer :)

Hey everyone,

I am currently on F1 in the USA and recently travelled so will have to wait until mid-September to do anything relating to my DV success (employing the 30-60-90 rule). However, my CN will be current October 1st. I anticipate not having (i) the DV Admin Fee Receipt and (ii) the 2NL at this point. My questions are:

1) Will sending out my AoS package late (i.e. not in the month when my CN becomes current) lead to me being rejected? (Or does it not matter?)
2) I definitely should not send the AoS package without the DV Admin Fee receipt, correct?
3) But I could send the package when I get the DV Admin Fee receipt even if I did not get the 2NL yet and this will probably not be a problem, correct?

Finally, just to confirm:
4) If I get rejected from my AoS GC application for whatever reason, this usually would not put my F1 VISA in jeopardy, correct?

Thank you so much for your help, you guys have been amazing!

Best,
Leon

Hey everyone,

I am currently on F1 in the USA and recently travelled so will have to wait until mid-September to do anything relating to my DV success (employing the 30-60-90 rule). However, my CN will be current October 1st. I anticipate not having (i) the DV Admin Fee Receipt and (ii) the 2NL at this point. My questions are:

1) Will sending out my AoS package late (i.e. not in the month when my CN becomes current) lead to me being rejected? (Or does it not matter?)
2) I definitely should not send the AoS package without the DV Admin Fee receipt, correct?
3) But I could send the package when I get the DV Admin Fee receipt even if I did not get the 2NL yet and this will probably not be a problem, correct?

Finally, just to confirm:
4) If I get rejected from my AoS GC application for whatever reason, this usually would not put my F1 VISA in jeopardy, correct?

Thank you so much for your help, you guys have been amazing!

Best,
Leon

1. No, it will not.

2. You could send the package without it but I wouldn't recommend it.

3. Yes. Correct.

4. You revert back to your current visa status assuming you never used an AOS based EAD or AP card. You may however be denied if you need to apply for a new F1 visa following a trip outside the US.

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if applying for OPT at the same time as AOS is a bad idea? Could one hinder the other?
The reason I am asking is that my I20 expires 2 months after I expect to submit my AOS package, and in case of denial I want a fall-back option.

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if applying for OPT at the same time as AOS is a bad idea? Could one hinder the other?
The reason I am asking is that my I20 expires 2 months after I expect to submit my AOS package, and in case of denial I want a fall-back option.

Thanks!

What I typically recommend is to get the OPT when possible prior to AOS package submission. You can't fall back to a status you never had prior to filing AOS. That is not to say the OPT petition will not be approved if you file for it after AOS package submission. However, you can only fall back to OPT if you had that before sending in your AOS package.

I'm preparing my AOS package and translations are printed on A4 size paper not letter size. For all other documents and forms I use letter size. What do you think, is it a problem?

Hi

I am dv2018 selected and last may I fill my ds260. My passport will expire on November 2018.

Will it be a problem? Or should I renew my passport before interview?

Thanks

Hi

I am dv2018 selected and last may I fill my ds260. My passport will expire on November 2018.

Will it be a problem? Or should I renew my passport before interview?

Thanks

Whether it's a problem depends on when your interview is, but it's more likely to be a problem than not. As per the instructions linked from your selection letter, passports need to be valid for 6 months beyond the date of your "intended entry" into the US. (And because visas are usually valid 6 months from interview, it's safer to have a passport valid for a year from interviewing.) In any case getting a renewed passport from within the US is always more hassle than from at home, so it's probably better you get a new one shortly before interview anyway.

Whether it's a problem depends on when your interview is, but it's more likely to be a problem than not. As per the instructions linked from your selection letter, passports need to be valid for 6 months beyond the date of your "intended entry" into the US. (And because visas are usually valid 6 months from interview, it's safer to have a passport valid for a year from interviewing.) In any case getting a renewed passport from within the US is always more hassle than from at home, so it's probably better you get a new one shortly before interview anyway.
Thanks. I'm currently in US and chose to go with AOS. What happen if I get new one with different passport number?(Heard they issue different numbers when renew the passport.) Will it be a problem?

Thanks. I'm currently in US and chose to go with AOS. What happen if I get new one with different passport number?(Heard they issue different numbers when renew the passport.) Will it be a problem?

Go ahead and renew the passport.

Hi all,

My wife is under E-2 Status and works in the US, and as her spouse, I am also under E-2 status and work with the EAD card. We estimate my CN (AS0003xxx) may become current in end of 2017. Our E-2 and EAD card will expire in January 2018. In order to keep holding my EAD card without work suspension, we would like to file E-2 and EAD card renewal/extension recently.

Now the question is if that will cause any issues for filing i485 form right away after getting the E-2 extension/renewed status.

Thank you for help

Hi mom,

1. I have a question about the I94. The only physical I94 that I have received was upon my first entry to the US, as a card stapled in my passport. Would I need to send a copy of that card, or make a printout of my most recent I94 from the link you provided? Does the number from my most recent i94 go into the i485 form?

2. Are we supposed to have two I797? I only have one.

3. If I am not currently employed, is there a need to send W2, employment letter from my most recent job?

Thank you, you are huge help as always! God Bless!

Hi all,

My wife is under E-2 Status and works in the US, and as her spouse, I am also under E-2 status and work with the EAD card. We estimate my CN (AS0003xxx) may become current in end of 2017. Our E-2 and EAD card will expire in January 2018. In order to keep holding my EAD card without work suspension, we would like to file E-2 and EAD card renewal/extension recently.

Now the question is if that will cause any issues for filing i485 form right away after getting the E-2 extension/renewed status.

Thank you for help

Go ahead and file your EAD extension, it will not impact your AOS petition.

Hi mom,

1. I have a question about the I94. The only physical I94 that I have received was upon my first entry to the US, as a card stapled in my passport. Would I need to send a copy of that card, or make a printout of my most recent I94 from the link you provided? Does the number from my most recent i94 go into the i485 form?

2. Are we supposed to have two I797? I only have one.

3. If I am not currently employed, is there a need to send W2, employment letter from my most recent job?

Thank you, you are huge help as always! God Bless!

1. Number from the most recent one goes on the I-485.

2. If you have one, then that's all you have. Some people have none, some have more than two. The number of I-797 you have depends on the number of immigration benefits you've applied for from USCIS.

3. The purpose of including those documents is to show you will not become a public charge. If you're not currently employed which means you will be submitting an I-134, then no.

Hello,

I won the DV2018, I am in the US, on F1 graduating december 2017. I am going for AOS, I did the DS260, received KCC email, paid the DV fees, did the medical exam, got all the documents ready. My case # is AF10xxx, it will be current in November. I will send my package on October 1st. Kindly, could you advise on the following points:

1. As I do graduate December 2017, if by then I still did not get my GC, should I start the OPT process, or I cannot do that since I am doing the AOS? In case I can’t, what will be my status after December 2017, while waiting for the AOS?
2. Do you think it is a good Idea to file for AOE while doing the AOS?

Thank you for this useful platform

Hey everyone,

I spent a lot of time reading up on this, and I've emerged with a much better understanding but also one or two more questions -- thanks for bearing with me!

1) From [1], I thought I would have to file G-325 (or maybe G-325a) with my I-485; but the I-485 instructions say it is not required anymore. So that means I should not file it, right?
2) I don't seem to have I-797; should I have been issued one at some point / search harder for it? I am on an F1-VISA and never had any adjustments to it or anything like that.
3) Evidence of Financial Support:
3.i) I have reasonably large assets (>40k $) in bank accounts outside the US; will this `count' or do assets have to be in US currency? If it counts, can I submit a certified translated bank statement?
3.ii) As an F1 student, I have fellowship income (>30$k/yr); if I send in my admission letter stating the annual amount + tax transcripts, will that help towards demonstrating no public charge?
3.iii) Given (3.i) and (3.ii), will it make a difference whether I file an I-134 (affidavit of support)?

(I am aware that the new I-485 states there is no need to demonstrate evidence of financial support, but I seem to be getting the impression that you guys are suggesting `better safe than sorry' and am definitely agreed!)

Thanks so much again!

Best,
Leon

[1] cannot post link as <5 posts, but it is the first result when you google "greencard diversity visa uscis"

Hello,

I won the DV2018, I am in the US, on F1 graduating december 2017. I am going for AOS, I did the DS260, received KCC email, paid the DV fees, did the medical exam, got all the documents ready. My case # is AF10xxx, it will be current in November. I will send my package on October 1st. Kindly, could you advise on the following points:

1. As I do graduate December 2017, if by then I still did not get my GC, should I start the OPT process, or I cannot do that since I am doing the AOS? In case I can’t, what will be my status after December 2017, while waiting for the AOS?
2. Do you think it is a good Idea to file for AOE while doing the AOS?

Thank you for this useful platform

1. You may apply for OPT after sending in your AOS package, although I normally recommend getting the OPT in place before filing AOS. Your status becomes adjustment pending following the expiration of your current status.

2. What is AOE?