• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

hello sm1smon,
i have CN= 2017AF14000. my field Office is in Des Doines Iowa. i submitted my AOS in DECEMBER, Had my bio in February. up till date i haven't had my interview.
i have been visiting my FO several times but they have been asking me to wait that my case is still pending.
Today, i insisted on seeing the Supervisor .
He told me , my file is with them but i have to wait for interview by the end of September or r early octorber.
when i told him about the 30th september dead line, he told me there is no problem as my file is already with them.
and that the 30th Sept would not affect my case.
Please my i need help. i have just taken another infospass

Did you show the supervisor any document indicating your case must be adjudicated by COB Sept 30th or you only told him verbally?

I am happy to report that my husband received his green card yesterday! His background finally cleared! We did Biometrics in December, so it took 8 months! I have to mention that we went for the third Infopass since we applied on August 3rd, and his case was approved on 08/08, but his status did not change online until he received both his welcome letter and green card in the mail! I am beyond thankful and happy that our entire family is green now! Can't thank you enough sm1mom and Simon for your valued input and advice. God bless you! Will update the spreadsheet soon.

I am happy to report that my husband received his green card yesterday! His background finally cleared! We did Biometrics in December, so it took 8 months! I have to mention that we went for the third Infopass since we applied on August 3rd, and his case was approved on 08/08, but his status did not change online until he received both his welcome letter and green card in the mail! I am beyond thankful and happy that our entire family is green now! Can't thank you enough sm1mom and Simon for your valued input and advice. God bless you! Will update the spreadsheet soon.

Awesome! Congratulations!!!

Did you show the supervisor any document indicating your case must be adjudicated by COB Sept 30th or you only told him verbally?
Yes mom I did but he insisted I don't need visa, But a green card. That I don't have any problems with the September 30th limit

Yes mom I did but he insisted I don't need visa, But a green card. That I don't have any problems with the September 30th limit

You should have shown the memo. The IO was absolutely incorrect - and if you don't get your case approved before October 1 it CANNOT be approved after that.

What did you show him? Did you show him the "Memo" or a print out of what is written on USCIS's website which clearly says:
The adjustment of status process for diversity visa winners must be completed by September 30 of the fiscal year the lottery pertains to. Visas cannot be carried over to the next fiscal year.
https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/diversity-visa

Yes you don't need a visa stamped on your passport, you however still need to be allocated with a visa, make that clear to the supervisor. And you need to reach out to your congress person by the way if you haven't done so already. They will request to know what's holding up your interview.

Hello Mom and Britsimon,

I am happy to report that me and my wife's DV based AOS application is now approved. It was a long 15 months and thanks to all of the forum's contributors for your valuable information. Without this forum, AOS spreadsheet and Simon's blog, my AOS journey would have been much complicated. I would like to suggest all of the future AOS applicants to consider the following:
- Patience (It is a long process)
- Honesty (absolutely needed)
- Read the blog/forum/AOS spreadsheet (simple search on this forum answered many of my questions)

Below is my timeline:

Current - July 2017
File sent to Chicago Lockbox - June 1, 2017 (USPS)
Chicago Lockbox received the file - June 3rd, 2017
Chicago Lockbox acceptance: June 19th, 2017
Check Cashed: June 19th, 2017
NOA Letter Date: June 23, 2017
Bio Letter Received Date: June 30, 2017
Bio Scheduled Date: July 13, 2017
Bio Date: July 13, 2017
Interview Letter received Date: July 19, 2017
Interview Date: August 10, 2017
AOS Approved Date: August 10, 2017
AOS Approved Letter Received Date: August 14, 2017
AOS Approved "Email/Text" Received Date: August 15, 2017
GreenCard Mailed "Email/Text" Received Date: August 16, 2017

Below is my Interview Experience:

Went an hour early to the Boston JFK Building. The USCIS office was busy and we waited around 90 minutes for interview. The interviewing immigration officer was very professional, polite and friendly. Interview lasted for around 10 min. total. She asked for our original birth certificate and I-693 medical document. These documents were not included in the original AOS package sent to the Chicago lock box. Interviewer asked basic questions from our I -485 form (such as name, address, father/mother's name, YES/NO questions etc). After the interview, she told us that few checks are pending and we will get the decision or RFE by US mail in 2-3 weeks. We got the AOS approval notice by US Mail on August 14, 2017 and by Email/Text on August 15, 2017. Today (8/16), I received a text that our cards have been mailed to our address.

Thank you all and good luck for all other AOS applicants.

Hello Mom and Britsimon,

I am happy to report that me and my wife's DV based AOS application is now approved. It was a long 15 months and thanks to all of the forum's contributors for your valuable information. Without this forum, AOS spreadsheet and Simon's blog, my AOS journey would have been much complicated. I would like to suggest all of the future AOS applicants to consider the following:
- Patience (It is a long process)
- Honesty (absolutely needed)
- Read the blog/forum/AOS spreadsheet (simple search on this forum answered many of my questions)

Below is my timeline:

Current - July 2017
File sent to Chicago Lockbox - June 1, 2017 (USPS)
Chicago Lockbox received the file - June 3rd, 2017
Chicago Lockbox acceptance: June 19th, 2017
Check Cashed: June 19th, 2017
NOA Letter Date: June 23, 2017
Bio Letter Received Date: June 30, 2017
Bio Scheduled Date: July 13, 2017
Bio Date: July 13, 2017
Interview Letter received Date: July 19, 2017
Interview Date: August 10, 2017
AOS Approved Date: August 10, 2017
AOS Approved Letter Received Date: August 14, 2017
AOS Approved "Email/Text" Received Date: August 15, 2017
GreenCard Mailed "Email/Text" Received Date: August 16, 2017

Below is my Interview Experience:

Went an hour early to the Boston JFK Building. The USCIS office was busy and we waited around 90 minutes for interview. The interviewing immigration officer was very professional, polite and friendly. Interview lasted for around 10 min. total. She asked for our original birth certificate and I-693 medical document. These documents were not included in the original AOS package sent to the Chicago lock box. Interviewer asked basic questions from our I -485 form (such as name, address, father/mother's name, YES/NO questions etc). After the interview, she told us that few checks are pending and we will get the decision or RFE by US mail in 2-3 weeks. We got the AOS approval notice by US Mail on August 14, 2017 and by Email/Text on August 15, 2017. Today (8/16), I received a text that our cards have been mailed to our address.

Thank you all and good luck for all other AOS applicants.

Congratulations and thank you for coming out of the woods :) to share your story (since you never shared anything with us before).

I have a question regarding contacting my congressperson. I see two Senators listed for California, one is Class I (term expires in 2019) and the other is Class III (term expires in 2023). On both their websites they state that they are able to assist with federal immigration challenges. I assume it doesn't matter who I speak with but could anyone confirm? Do I just reach out to one or both at this 11th hour? Thank you.

Hi Mom,
This is my second time posting inquiry here, your answer was very helpful.
Me and my wife had our interview back on March/02/17 For AOS app. Since that time we have not hear any thing back from USCUS Columbus field office. Every time I called they say pending background check not cleared yet. Today, I decided to call KCC and ask if the officer request my file or not. The answer was he did not request our file yet. What does that mean?
Can he request our file before background check cleared or not? I remember the officer said that our case is the first DV based AOS he has so far, what should I do?

I have a question regarding contacting my congressperson. I see two Senators listed for California, one is Class I (term expires in 2019) and the other is Class III (term expires in 2023). On both their websites they state that they are able to assist with federal immigration challenges. I assume it doesn't matter who I speak with but could anyone confirm? Do I just reach out to one or both at this 11th hour? Thank you.

Doesn't matter. You reach out to just one.

Hi Mom,
This is my second time posting inquiry here, your answer was very helpful.
Me and my wife had our interview back on March/02/17 For AOS app. Since that time we have not hear any thing back from USCUS Columbus field office. Every time I called they say pending background check not cleared yet. Today, I decided to call KCC and ask if the officer request my file or not. The answer was he did not request our file yet. What does that mean?
Can he request our file before background check cleared or not? I remember the officer said that our case is the first DV based AOS he has so far, what should I do?

You need to stop calling and go in person to your FO. Get them to associate a face with your case, you can't achieve that by phone calls alone.

And I do believe part of what is causing the delay is the fact that you're from one of the banned countries, I believe? So telling you your background check is pending is just a cover up. This is something you should be asking about in person hence the need for you to go on an INFOPASS.

I understand, but i could not understand why the officer did not request my file from kcc. Is this an issue. When I call the kcc the lady told me ‘you have to instruct the officer to request your file’. regarding to the ban, many friends from the same country got their green cards. Is there any why to talk to the officer who interviewed me. Because every time I go to uscis I talked to the same person at the front disk.

Doesn't matter. You reach out to just one.

Thank you Sm1smom.

We are still waiting for an update on our case. We have another Infopass next week. I'd love to know what the holdup is on our background checks. We've been in the States for almost 9 years legally, renewed our visas every couple of years, never been in trouble with the law here or in our home countries and are not from a banned country. I even included recent police background check documents from our home country in our application.

I understand, but i could not understand why the officer did not request my file from kcc. Is this an issue. When I call the kcc the lady told me ‘you have to instruct the officer to request your file’. regarding to the ban, many friends from the same country got their green cards. Is there any why to talk to the officer who interviewed me. Because every time I go to uscis I talked to the same person at the front disk.

In you're previous post, you said you "called"

The IO may feel there's no need to request the KCC file since your background check is still pending, nothing unusual about it. And you cannot "instruct the officer to request your file", the KCC lady keeps misinforming people about that. Your IO will figure that out when they're ready to approve the case. The only way you can speak with the IO that interviewed you is if the officer you speak with at the INFOPASS is willing to call your IO.

Thank you Sm1smom.

We are still waiting for an update on our case. We have another Infopass next week. I'd love to know what the holdup is on our background checks. We've been in the States for almost 9 years legally, renewed our visas every couple of years, never been in trouble with the law here or in our home countries and are not from a banned country. I even included recent police background check documents from our home country in our application.

Well, I don't know what the hold up is regarding your background check - I don't know anything about you - and USCIS will not share that with you either by the way. The police check from your home country makes no difference, they accord no weight to it. And the fact that you've been in the US for so many years makes no difference to the process, a comprehensive background check is not carried out for NIV petitions.

The link below is to a 2014 post in which I discussed background checks, you may want to check it out:
http://forums.immigration.com/threads/an-open-letter-to-simon.321638/page-3#post-2352701

In you're previous post, you said you "called"

The IO may feel there's no need to request the KCC file since your background check is still pending, nothing unusual about it. And you cannot "instruct the officer to request your file", the KCC lady keeps misinforming people about that. Your IO will figure that out when they're ready to approve the case. The only way you can speak with the IO that interviewed you is if the officer you speak with at the INFOPASS is willing to call your IO.
Thanks

Hi: One more question regarding evaluation certificate: the evaluation of my University diploma was done in 2015. Could that raise any doubts of IO as to my immigrant intent, or it has to have a recent date?

Hi: One more question regarding evaluation certificate: the evaluation of my University diploma was done in 2015. Could that raise any doubts of IO as to my immigrant intent, or it has to have a recent date?

For goodness sake, stop overthinking things. You had those documents evaluated as part of your admission process. Why would the IO take that as proof a pending immigrant intent?

Well, I don't know what the hold up is regarding your background check - I don't know anything about you - and USCIS will not share that with you either by the way. The police check from your home country makes no difference, they accord no weight to it. And the fact that you've been in the US for so many years makes no difference to the process, a comprehensive background check is not carried out for NIV petitions.

The link below is to a 2014 post in which I discussed background checks, you may want to check it out:
http://forums.immigration.com/threads/an-open-letter-to-simon.321638/page-3#post-2352701

Thank you.