Re-entry permit experiences/help!

dv17abc

Hi, can people with re-entry permit experience, especially DV winners, please help with my questions?

Background: DV winner, already made activation trip last month, circumstances have changed and wish to apply for re-entry permit for 2 years. Considering entering in a few months time to apply for permit. My questions are:

1. What work related reasons have people used that has gotten them approval?
E.g. Gaining more industry specific experience, eligible to transfer to US office after working 2 years - will those reasons be sufficient?

2. What work related reasons has been denied?

3. Do you need to supply proof of reasons when applying?

4. How long does it take from handing in the application to getting the biometrics appointment?

5. Can i leave the US after i hand in the form and come back for the biometrics? How long is the period between that?

6. Has anyone tried to expedite the process? What reasons did you use?

7. Has anyone successfully applied for re-entry permit, filed taxes every year, returned to US prior to expiry date BUT still got denied entry?

A lot of questions! Hopefully these will be helpful to other people with the same questions. Thanks in advance!

Can't answer all of these but will try as I got my re entry permit to look after my father in law as his health deteriorated .
Applied with the same reason , got my bio metrics appointment after 5 weeks .
Did that and moved back to nz . Filed taxes this year. Got the re entry permit no issues . Due to return in 2019. Hopefully am not denied entry. Can apply twice before for re entry permits before there are any issues is my understanding.
Can't say much for work reasons for applying as I put down my personal reasons as stated above. Hope it's of some help

Appreciate your help @Aucklander :)

Did you stay in the US for 5 weeks while waiting for the appointment? (Which state was this in?)

And

Did they ask for any proof for your reason? Eg. Medical certificate?

Thanks!!

They don't really deny an RP application. You can even write 'personal reasons' as your reasons for needing to be out of the country. You also don't really require supporting documentation. DV winners routinely take some time to fully move to the US, so they're used to seeing applications for RPs from them. I had two RPs before and I never had any problems re-entering the country.

I was in Houston Texas .stayed in the US during the waiting period. Did not get asked to provide any supporting documentation. I did have it handy if asked . As the other user said they don't really care . These re entry permits for a family aren't exactly cheap . I am guessing they are happy to clip the ticket .
If I was to apply again (hopefully not) then I would be flying in once the bio metric appointment comes thru .

Thanks @cafeconleche

I'm just worried about being denied after staying 5-6 weeks in the US waiting for the biometrics appointment as i would've exhausted all my leave at work (and not ready to move yet!).

Would you be able to share your experiences for the 2 RPs you've applied for?

Also, did they ask you for proof you haven't abandoned green card when you re-entered after 2 years?

You're worrying too much about being issued the RP. As I said, as a new permanent resident, it is normal to need more time to fully move to the US, so you are not asking for something unusual. Of course, there is never a 100% guarantee with most things, but it would be out of the ordinary for you to be denied given what you've told us.

Again, my experience has bee only positive, apart from how long they took to issue the permit. This was an issue for me because I needed to use the permit as a travel document, but as you have your regular passport, you are in a better position. If you want them to expedite your application, at least the biometrics appointment, write a letter explaining why and follow the expedited request instructions.

I was never asked for proof, but what you should do is open a bank account and maybe get a driver licence/state ID.