Biometrics for I-131 re-entry & I-90 GC replacement (within 90 days/3 months)

abumiqdad

Hi all.

I have some questions here.

Currently I am out of the USA - but will be in USA within 1 month. The expected duration of stay would be exactly 3 months.

Within that 3 months, i would like to apply the following documents:

1. Green Card replacement I-90 for myself (my GC is MIA - tracking says it is delivered but no where to be seen - USCIS helpline said if it is said as Delivered, nothing else they can do)
2. Green card replacement I-90 for my toddler (no biometric - and no need to come in-person) [same case as mine]
3. Re-entry permit I-131 for myself
4. Re-entry permit I-131 for my toddler (no biometric - and no need to come in-person)

Re-entry permits are to be delivered to the US embassy in Malaysia.

My toddler and I both have a valid I 551 stamp on our passports (but will expire end of this year).

Questions:
1. From my readings, i've come to understand that my toddler would not need to have his biometric taken. Can other verify this as well?
a. therefore i would not need to pay for biometrics in both I-90 and I-131 right?
b. i do not need to bring him to any of the interviews right?

2. Would 3 months be enough for me to reach to the point of the biometric to be taken?

3. If the answer for No 2 is NO, then what are my options? I am not sure if i can prolong my stay in the USA longer than 3 months as it is putting a lot of strain on me financially. (changing flight would cost a lot of money too).

I plan to be back in the USA for good maybe middle of next year (a huge maybe there - hence i need to have the re-entry permit in place).

I haven't done this in years, but:

1. AFAIK kids under 14 need not pay for or go to biometric appointments (have you checked the form instructions carefully for any changes?). There are no interviews for renewals or travel document applications.
2. 3 months are generally more than enough. Send your applications the day or day after you enter the US (ASAP), so prepare them now.
3. If it doesn't work out, you can leave and return for the biometrics.

If you don't get your cards or re-entry permits before your stamp expires, you might need to come back for new stamps.

I haven't done this in years, but:

1. AFAIK kids under 14 need not pay for or go to biometric appointments (have you checked the form instructions carefully for any changes?). There are no interviews for renewals or travel document applications.
2. 3 months are generally more than enough. Send your applications the day or day after you enter the US (ASAP), so prepare them now.
3. If it doesn't work out, you can leave and return for the biometrics.

If you don't get your cards or re-entry permits before your stamp expires, you might need to come back for new stamps.

1. that is what i read as well, but i just want to be sure. So worse case scenario, my toddler will have his GC card and re-entry permit and i will have to wait for the biometrics appointment.
2. I hope so, and plan to submit the form the next day i arrive (hope i wont suffer from jet lag).
3. Return for biometric is very costly :( i am halfway around the world.

1. The processing will take way longer anyway - do you have an address in the US to receive the GCs?
2. What does jet lag have anything to do with it? You prepare the forms, photo and cheque NOW and put the entire package in an envelope NOW. Then all you have to do within the US is go to a post office and pay for the registered shipping. Are you flying alone with a toddler? THAT might make things difficult, as I just flew with mine a couple of weeks ago for 12 hours at night, but with her mom, and we both were still pretty shot. But, you should be able to do this.
3. Yeah, so forget about that unless you really have to, but remember that you will have to if necessary.

1. The processing will take way longer anyway - do you have an address in the US to receive the GCs?
2. What does jet lag have anything to do with it? You prepare the forms, photo and cheque NOW and put the entire package in an envelope NOW. Then all you have to do within the US is go to a post office and pay for the registered shipping. Are you flying alone with a toddler? THAT might make things difficult, as I just flew with mine a couple of weeks ago for 12 hours at night, but with her mom, and we both were still pretty shot. But, you should be able to do this.
3. Yeah, so forget about that unless you really have to, but remember that you will have to if necessary.

1. Yes I do, and i will stay at the address (my friend's) for the whole duration in am in the USA. However the address is "odd", it is a legitimate physical address but since it is a bit in a remote area (vacation houses near the mountain side), the letters are distributed via PO BOX, so each house will have its own PO BOX & house number. Meaning, a complete address should contain both house number and PO BOX. (actually using just the PO BOX would be even better). The problem is that USCIS wont accept POBOX in the addresses sections (be it for AR-11 or any other forms) so to bypass this, i just select Apt #<PO BOX number> in the 2nd line of the address. I hope USPS will know it is meant to be a PO BOX. My friend has added me and my toddler to the list of occupant of the said address.

2. well, past experience taught me i cannot expect to do much on my 1st or 2nd day in the USA due to severe jetlag - but i will definitely try my best. Time is of the essence in my case. I just hope the post office is not that far away from my friend's place.

Yes i will be travelling alone with my toddler, he is already 4, so i believe he will be able to cope and behave through out the journey.

I am preparing all the necessary documents

For I-131:
  • proof of permanent residency status (passport page showing admission as a permanent resident)
  • two color photos, passport style
  • the application fee, and
  • the biometrics fee.
I believe same is for the replacement GC I-90.

So i will have a separate check for each biometric application (I-90 and I-131). (2x checks for I-90, 2x checks for I 131, and 2x checks for biometrics).

3. I am praying i wont have to , but i have contacted the ACS in Thailand, and asks if it is possible for me to go there IF for some reasons i am not able to attend the one in the USA - and they said it will be considered case by case basis. I am hoping for the best case scenario.