• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

@Sm1smom, do I still need translation of my immunization records if my CS says he doesn't need it because he knows the language of my country? Will I need the translation for the interview?

@Sm1smom, do I still need translation of my immunization records if my CS says he doesn't need it because he knows the language of my country? Will I need the translation for the interview?

Your CS will be the one to transfer the info to your medical exam form, so if he's able to understand what you're presenting to him, you're good. You will not be presenting the immuzation record itself with your AOS package or at the interview.

Your CS will be the one to transfer the info to your medical exam form, so if he's able to understand what you're presenting to him, you're good. You will not be presenting the immuzation record itself with your AOS package or at the interview.
Thanks! it would help me to save $120 (this much I was asked for certified translation of my immunization records:eek:)

Good afternoon :)
I am European and H1b holder (first H1b status started on 02/01/2017), working as a scientist in a private university. I'm here in US with my husband, which is currently in H4 status. My question is about the financial statement:
we are currently living with one salary and for sure I will not have on my bank account 20000$ at the moment I will get a statement.
is in this case mandatory involve a third person and fill an affidavit support?Has this third person need to be in US and US citizen?Does he/she need to prove that he/she has more than 20000$?

Many Thanks in advance

Good afternoon :)
I am European and H1b holder (first H1b status started on 02/01/2017), working as a scientist in a private university. I'm here in US with my husband, which is currently in H4 status. My question is about the financial statement:
we are currently living with one salary and for sure I will not have on my bank account 20000$ at the moment I will get a statement.
is in this case mandatory involve a third person and fill an affidavit support?Has this third person need to be in US and US citizen?Does he/she need to prove that he/she has more than 20000$?

Many Thanks in advance

Your annual income is what will be mostly considered, not how much you have saved in your account. If your annual income is at or above the applicable poverty guideline level, them you don't need an affidavit of support.

If you're using an affidavit of support, then your sponsors annual income must also be at or above the applicable poverty guideline level.

Your annual income is what will be mostly considered, not how much you have saved in your account. If your annual income is at or above the applicable poverty guideline level, them you don't need an affidavit of support.

If you're using an affidavit of support, then your sponsors annual income must also be at or above the applicable poverty guideline level.

Thank you so much. Now I understand and I think I'm fine, no affidativ support needed. :)

I have a couple of more questions for you on another subject:
1) on the EAD the category for both me (h1b) and my husband (h4) is the (c)(9)? correct? I'm not actually sure if I need to send it for me. Is that correct if I send the EAD form for both of us?
2) I read that if we are in H status we don't need to fill up the advance parole form but if we leave is up to the officer at the customs. Do you think is better to fill it up anyway?
I read through the form but they are asking specific dates, should we just leave them blank?
3) I went through your first post with all the AOS process and reading the list of documents needed. For my husband, which is my co-applicant, do I just need passport and visa, birth certificate and marriage license and his forms (I-485, I-765..)? he doesn't need all the previous DS-2019 or his previous W2 or anythin, is that correct?

Thanks again so much :)

Thank you so much. Now I understand and I think I'm fine, no affidativ support needed. :)

I have a couple of more questions for you on another subject:
1) on the EAD the category for both me (h1b) and my husband (h4) is the (c)(9)? correct? I'm not actually sure if I need to send it for me. Is that correct if I send the EAD form for both of us?
2) I read that if we are in H status we don't need to fill up the advance parole form but if we leave is up to the officer at the customs. Do you think is better to fill it up anyway?
I read through the form but they are asking specific dates, should we just leave them blank?
3) I went through your first post with all the AOS process and reading the list of documents needed. For my husband, which is my co-applicant, do I just need passport and visa, birth certificate and marriage license and his forms (I-485, I-765..)? he doesn't need all the previous DS-2019 or his previous W2 or anythin, is that correct?

Thanks again so much :)

1. Yes C9 for all.

2. Traveling with a pending AOS petition does not require an AP card if the petitioner is currently on a dual intent visa such as L or H1B/H4. However admission/re-admission into the US, regardless of if using an AP card or not, is always at the the discretion of the CBP at the POE. Admission is not guaranteed on the basis of having an AP card.
2b. Date is required on the form.

3. The AOS process spreadsheet has a recommended list of what each person should include with their AOS package. You'll have to use your discretion in determining what else might be applicable to your spouse.

1. Yes C9 for all.

2. Traveling with a pending AOS petition does not require an AP card if the petitioner is currently on a dual intent visa such as L or H1B/H4. However admission/re-admission into the US, regardless of if using an AP card or not, is always at the the discretion of the CBP at the POE. Admission is not guaranteed on the basis of having an AP card.
2b. Date is required on the form.

3. The AOS process spreadsheet has a recommended list of what each person should include with their AOS package. You'll have to use your discretion in determining what else might be applicable to your spouse.

Perfect! Many Thanks :)
Have a great day

Hi! First of all thanks for all the information you share, and sorry for the long explanation following!

I was selected for the DV2018 (CN EU00022xxx) and I'm highly confused on how to apply.
I'm currently in the US on a E2 Visa until 2022. However my passport will expire mid 2018.

This is what happened so far:
As soon as I was selected I went to a USCIS field office, that gave me little to no information on how to apply for AOS, so I decided to pay the DV fee and then file Form I-485, following the instruction form.
The application was rejected with no reasons stated, and I was asked to correct the application and resubmit it.
Only at this point, looking for info, I found this forum and figured that the rejection is most likely due to my (extremely!!) early filing.

So, now my questions:
- Should I still submit a ds-260?
- And if that's the case, should I renew my Passport first?

Thank you!

Hi! First of all thanks for all the information you share, and sorry for the long explanation following!

I was selected for the DV2018 (CN EU00022xxx) and I'm highly confused on how to apply.
I'm currently in the US on a E2 Visa until 2022. However my passport will expire mid 2018.

This is what happened so far:
As soon as I was selected I went to a USCIS field office, that gave me little to no information on how to apply for AOS, so I decided to pay the DV fee and then file Form I-485, following the instruction form.
The application was rejected with no reasons stated, and I was asked to correct the application and resubmit it.
Only at this point, looking for info, I found this forum and figured that the rejection is most likely due to my (extremely!!) early filing.

So, now my questions:
- Should I still submit a ds-260?
- And if that's the case, should I renew my Passport first?

Thank you!

Yup, package rejected due to extremely early filing like you noted. Your CN isn't going to get current until 2018.

In this forum, we do recommend DS260 submission for DV based AOS petitioners. You don't have to renew your passport before the submission.

I recommend you go over the AOS process spreadsheet (if you haven't done so already):
http://goo.gl/0va2DU

Hi Mom,
follow up question!
I have read through whole forum, and tumbled upon one question that has raised concern for my case. Short background info, I am f1 masters student residing in USA for 6 years, currently doing internship. Planning to get married in few month, my fiance also f1 currently doing bachelors. Haven't done anything in regards to application, holding my DS260 until I travel to my country for marriage. Here is the question:

1) USA gives visas to citizens of my country with short periods (ex. 1 month, 3 month and 1 year at most). As long as you have a status, you are fine to stay in USA. When I travel to my home country, I get visa every time though it's very simple procedure after your first visa. You chat for few minutes and they take your passport for new visa. Do you think it will be an issue during AOS if I go back to my country for marriage in few months and submit DS260 after 60 days? I am asking this, because I won't be having my visa during this whole leave and come back period but instead I will be renewing it before doing AOS. On the other hand, I am getting a new visa every time I visit my country. Thank you in advance

Hi Mom,
follow up question!
I have read through whole forum, and tumbled upon one question that has raised concern for my case. Short background info, I am f1 masters student residing in USA for 6 years, currently doing internship. Planning to get married in few month, my fiance also f1 currently doing bachelors. Haven't done anything in regards to application, holding my DS260 until I travel to my country for marriage. Here is the question:

1) USA gives visas to citizens of my country with short periods (ex. 1 month, 3 month and 1 year at most). As long as you have a status, you are fine to stay in USA. When I travel to my home country, I get visa every time though it's very simple procedure after your first visa. You chat for few minutes and they take your passport for new visa. Do you think it will be an issue during AOS if I go back to my country for marriage in few months and submit DS260 after 60 days? I am asking this, because I won't be having my visa during this whole leave and come back period but instead I will be renewing it before doing AOS. On the other hand, I am getting a new visa every time I visit my country. Thank you in advance

Sorry for confusion on last part, here is what I mean:
My visa is not like visa of most europeans, I have to get it every time I visit my home country. But at the same time, it's a regular procedure for all people in my country, renewing so to say.
Basically speaking, will there be a difference between someone who does AOS after traveling their country vs mine where I will have fresh new visa.

Thank you!

Hi Mom,
follow up question!

Sorry for confusion on last part, here is what I mean:
My visa is not like visa of most europeans, I have to get it every time I visit my home country. But at the same time, it's a regular procedure for all people in my country, renewing so to say.
Basically speaking, will there be a difference between someone who does AOS after traveling their country vs mine where I will have fresh new visa.

Thank you!

Yes I understand what you mean. You get a single entry visa, which basically means you have to apply for a new NIV every time you exit the US and wish to return. It shouldn't be an issue if you wait 60 - 90 days before filing anything which could potentially cause you to be considered as having a preconceived immigrant intent.

Yes I understand what you mean. You get a single entry visa, which basically means you have to apply for a new NIV every time you exit the US and wish to return. It shouldn't be an issue if you wait 60 - 90 days before filing anything which could potentially cause you to be considered as having a preconceived immigrant intent.
Gotcha, yeap, I will wait 60-90 days before proceeding.
Thank you very much for your help!

Hello. about the check that I need to submit with he 1225 $. Should I submit 2 checks, 1 for my and one for my wife separately or only one with the total amount of 2450?

You probably answered this question before but I can't find it in the blog.

Thank you.

Hello, I've read through the spreadsheet and official USCIS AoS info and now I'm confused: Am I eligible for AoS?
My case: my wife has been selected for DV 2018 (EU22***) and I'm a derivative in her application. At the time the results were announced in May we were present in our home country in Europe. But later in July 2017 we have moved to the US with L1/L2 visas (I-94 is valid until 2020).
Can we apply for AoS in this case given that we were not present in the US in May?
Thanks.

Hi Mom,
I am sure you have heard about the new immigration proposal (RAISE) by the president. As far as I know, if it passes through the congress, it will eliminate the DV program. I hope it does not affect the 2018 lottery winners. I am so worried about this :(. I know it's just a proposal and nobody can predict the outcome now but I just wanted to know your opinion about this. Thank you.

Hello, I've read through the spreadsheet and official USCIS AoS info and now I'm confused: Am I eligible for AoS?
My case: my wife has been selected for DV 2018 (EU22***) and I'm a derivative in her application. At the time the results were announced in May we were present in our home country in Europe. But later in July 2017 we have moved to the US with L1/L2 visas (I-94 is valid until 2020).
Can we apply for AoS in this case given that we were not present in the US in May?
Thanks.

Here's what USCIS's website says:

Diversity Visa Winners Legally Residing In the United States: Apply Through USCIS
There are, however, a small number of lottery winners each year who, at the time of “winning the lottery,” are residing in the United States in a nonimmigrant or other legal status. For these winners residing inside the United States, USCIS processes adjustment of status applications.

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/diversity-visa

The residing in the US as "at the time of winning the lottery" hasn't been an issue in the past, especially for someone such as you with a dual intent visa. However, 2017 DV selectee recently reported being denied on the basis of not being in the US as at the time of finding out about their lottery selection even though this person was in the US on a F1 visa but had made a temporary visit home for a couple of days and was still there when the results were announced.

You'll have to make the call if you want to take your chance and process AOS, or play it safe with CP