Replacement GC request while abroad (I-90) online - permissible?

abumiqdad

Hi.

I would like to know if there is a restriction against applying for GC replacement while one is abroad using the USCIS online GC replacement feature? I heard it would take months to get a replacement GC and i thought i might want to get the ball rolling now.

I read on USCIS website and i could not find any lines saying that i have to be present in the USA to file for the GC replacement (unlike I 130). I will be in the USA in less than 2 months so i think i can attend any request for Biometric by then.

I still have a valid I 551 stamp on my passport.

If it says that in the instructions, I would not file while abroad. Just file when you're back. Even if it takes a while, you can get a stamp in your passport as temporary proof when your card expires. Plus, I think the proof of application along with your expired card serves as your GC too.

If it says that in the instructions, I would not file while abroad. Just file when you're back. Even if it takes a while, you can get a stamp in your passport as temporary proof when your card expires. Plus, I think the proof of application along with your expired card serves as your GC too.

It doesn't say in the instruction of whether i can file it while i am abroad or not. Hence my question here.

"I read on USCIS website and i could not find any lines saying that i have to be present in the USA to file for the GC replacement (unlike I 130)"

Why do you have a valid stamp in your passport?

Anyway, I didn't read your post properly. I just looked through instructions and couldn't find any indication. The instructions on the website for a regular filing state you should return to the country and apply, but having looked at other evidence, it seems that there isn't really a reason for this. The paper instructions actually mention being able to contact a US mission overseas to do biometrics: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-90instr.pdf

Anyway, nobody is replying to this, and as you can see, I am just making an educated guess, but I think you can file while abroad. But, if they want you to be in the country, you're risking a technicality, and losing the filing fee which is insanely high. You can try tweeting @USCIS or messaging them on Facebook for an answer.

Why do you have a valid stamp in your passport?

Anyway, I didn't read your post properly. I just looked through instructions and couldn't find any indication. The instructions on the website for a regular filing state you should return to the country and apply, but having looked at other evidence, it seems that there isn't really a reason for this. The paper instructions actually mention being able to contact a US mission overseas to do biometrics: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-90instr.pdf

Anyway, nobody is replying to this, and as you can see, I am just making an educated guess, but I think you can file while abroad. But, if they want you to be in the country, you're risking a technicality, and losing the filing fee which is insanely high. You can try tweeting @USCIS or messaging them on Facebook for an answer.

I have a valid stamp because this is still within the first year of me being an LPR (entered the USA last november) hence the stamp in my passport has not expired. But my GC is MIA - so have to replace it whether i like it or not.

Alright, i will tweet them/message USCIS on FB.

Thank you