• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hi Sm1smom
Would you be able to provide some information
On form i485 part 2 question 2,
are you applying for adjustment based on the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) section 245(i) ?
I am on H1B so I assume the answer is No?
also question 3 and 4:
If you are the principal applicant, provide the following information.
Receipt Number of Underlying Petition (if any) ?
which receipt number?
and
Priority date from Underlying Petition(if any)?
again which priority date.
Thank you

Hello everyone
gotta be honest, I tried to understand if my number is a good number but I just can't tell. I want to know if i should send a money order already or i should wait.
my case number is 2018as...87xx

Thank you!

Hi Sm1smom
Would you be able to provide some information
On form i485 part 2 question 2,
are you applying for adjustment based on the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) section 245(i) ?
I am on H1B so I assume the answer is No?
also question 3 and 4:
If you are the principal applicant, provide the following information.
Receipt Number of Underlying Petition (if any) ?
which receipt number?
and
Priority date from Underlying Petition(if any)?
again which priority date.
Thank you

1. The correct response should be 'NO'

2. DV based AOS petitioners have no Petition Number or Priority Date so put 'N/A'

Hello everyone
gotta be honest, I tried to understand if my number is a good number but I just can't tell. I want to know if i should send a money order already or i should wait.
my case number is 2018as...87xx

Thank you!

Simon's blog (link below) should help you understand if your CN is high or not. It should give you an idea of when your CN historically became current:

http://britsimonsays.com/historical-visa-bulletin-numbers/

Simon's blog (link below) should help you understand if your CN is high or not. It should give you an idea of when your CN historically became current:

Thanks! actually i was looking at it a while ago, i did not realize when do i need to send the money order, only when my number becomes current or asap?

when you say to someone their number are "safe", you mean safe by the total of visas to each region?

Thank you again

1. The correct response should be 'NO'

2. DV based AOS petitioners have no Petition Number or Priority Date so put 'N/A'

Hi, just want to make sure about this topic.

I thought we should select YES because it says : "if you answered "YES", you must have selected a family-based, employment-based, special inmigrant, or Diversity Visa Inmigrant category as the basis for your application for AOS

Thanks! actually i was looking at it a while ago, i did not realize when do i need to send the money order, only when my number becomes current or asap?

when you say to someone their number are "safe", you mean safe by the total of visas to each region?

Thank you again

"Safe" as in the CN is likely to become current. Looking at the past cut off numbers is supposed to give you an indication of if and when your CN is likely to become current.

For instance if you look at the cutoff numbers for one month, and it looks like your CN is likely to become current one or two months down the road, then you may decide to make the DV administrative fee payment right away.

So looking at the link I sent, when has your CN traditionally become current in the past?

Dear Sm1smom:

On DS-260, it asks for "Begin with your address immediately before your current address." since the age of sixteen.
I live in NJ and hold a PA license because I often commit to my friend's home there in PA.
I do not file any tax return for PA, only NJ because I have been living in NJ during H1B and F1.
Shall I still include his home address on DS-260?

How about my ex's address I used during dating with my ex for online purchases? Do I include?

Thank you,
hellomyfriend

Last edited:
I'm asking about $330 DV Administrative fee

They don't accept personal checks. Please read this carefully: https://goo.gl/Y3TSAL

Answering your original question (but keep in mind I used USPS Money Order):

Pay to: U.S. Department of State, Diversity Visa Program
Memo: Adjustment of Status Fee for DV Program case #2018...

For completeness, here's the template of a cover letter I sent: https://pastebin.com/ueiUzvTG

Last edited:
Hi, just want to make sure about this topic.

I thought we should select YES because it says : "if you answered "YES", you must have selected a family-based, employment-based, special inmigrant, or Diversity Visa Inmigrant category as the basis for your application for AOS

The question you really should be asking is what is INA 245(i)?

INA 245 requires anyone applying for adjustment of status must have been inspected and admitted or paroled, be eligible for an immigrant visa and admissible for permanent residence, and, with some exceptions, have maintained lawful nonimmigrant status. The alien must also not have engaged in unauthorized employment. Section 245(i) however allows certain aliens to apply for AOS notwithstanding the fact that he or she entered without inspection, overstayed, or worked without authorization.

So answer "Yes" to that question if you believe it is applicable to you and be sure to fill out Supplement A to Form I-485 like the I-485 says.

Dear Sm1smom:

On DS-260, it asks for "Begin with your address immediately before your current address." since the age of sixteen.
I live in NJ and hold a PA license because I often commit to my friend's home there in PA.
I do not file any tax return for PA, only NJ because I have been living in NJ during H1B and F1.
Shall I still include his home address on DS-260?

How about my ex's address I used during dating with my ex for online purchases? Do I include?

Thank you,
hellomyfriend

Please use your best judgement on this.

The question you really should be asking is what is INA 245(i)?

INA 245 requires anyone applying for adjustment of status must have been inspected and admitted or paroled, be eligible for an immigrant visa and admissible for permanent residence, and, with some exceptions, have maintained lawful nonimmigrant status. The alien must also not have engaged in unauthorized employment. Section 245(i) however allows certain aliens to apply for AOS notwithstanding the fact that he or she entered without inspection, overstayed, or worked without authorization.

So answer "Yes" to that question if you believe it is applicable to you and be sure to fill out Supplement A to Form I-485 like the I-485 says.

Well, my wife won the visa lottery holding an F2 visa, we have manteined lawful noninmigrant status, not worked illegally, for 2 years. Do you think we should select YES or NO?

I appreciate your answer. thank you

Well, my wife won the visa lottery holding an F2 visa, we have manteined lawful noninmigrant status, not worked illegally, for 2 years. Do you think we should select YES or NO?

I must admit that instruction on i485 had me confused too. I initially thought that selecting DV implies answering 'yes' to question 2, but it's the other way around... Googling what INA245(i) is helped. See e.g. here https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/pressrelease/245i.pdf I'd suggest to answer yourself the following questions:

1) Did you (at any time) entered US without inspection?
2) Did you (at any time) overstayed your visa?
3) Did you (at any time) worked without authorization?

If you answer 'no' to all of the above, you can safely answer 'no' to Part.2 Question.2 on i-485. If you answer 'yes' to any of them, you should probably consult someone knowledgeable about what to do.

Like I previously responded, the correct answer is 'NO'.

Anyone answering 'Yes' should be sure they have knowledgeable legal representatives to see them through the process as it basically means you're inadmissible as is.

"Safe" as in the CN is likely to become current. Looking at the past cut off numbers is supposed to give you an indication of if and when your CN is likely to become current.

For instance if you look at the cutoff numbers for one month, and it looks like your CN is likely to become current one or two months down the road, then you may decide to make the DV administrative fee payment right away.

So looking at the link I sent, when has your CN traditionally become current in the past?

I think i got it, which mean i would have to pay the fee around April 2018 if i got it right

Thank you very much!

I must admit that instruction on i485 had me confused too. I initially thought that selecting DV implies answering 'yes' to question 2, but it's the other way around... Googling what INA245(i) is helped. See e.g. here https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/pressrelease/245i.pdf I'd suggest to answer yourself the following questions:

1) Did you (at any time) entered US without inspection?
2) Did you (at any time) overstayed your visa?
3) Did you (at any time) worked without authorization?

If you answer 'no' to all of the above, you can safely answer 'no' to Part.2 Question.2 on i-485. If you answer 'yes' to any of them, you should probably consult someone knowledgeable about what to do.

Thank you