Documents and questions at the airport on return with a Two Year Re-entry permit

Parent left USA in Jan/2016 with a Two Year Re-Entry permit.

1. What documents should be kept ready on return with a two year Re-entry permit ?
  2. Also, what questions can be asked at the airport when coming in with a Re-entry permit after stay outside USA of over 1 year but less than 2 years ?
  3. Anyone with a recent experience of entering with a Re-Entry Permit ?

Thanks,

Parent left USA in Jan/2016 with a Two Year Re-Entry permit.

1. What documents should be kept ready on return with a two year Re-entry permit ?
  2. Also, what questions can be asked at the airport when coming in with a Re-entry permit after stay outside USA of over 1 year but less than 2 years ?
  3. Anyone with a recent experience of entering with a Re-Entry Permit ?

Thanks,

I'm not an expert on this but your father can present anything that still shows ties to the U.S. like completion of tax for example, bank account statements or other things that shows ties to the U.S. but the reentry permit should be enough in my opinion. The questions will depend on the CBP officer in the airport and there is no script on these.

It's unlikely he will be asked for documents, and will most likely be asked the length and reason for his stay abroad, if anything. Not sure what documents he could show (and only if asked, mind you!). Does he have a job waiting? What will he do here?

Also, I don't know how this works with automated passport control kiosks - any experiences out there?

No job waiting here. May be look for a something - work from home type work - after coming back.
Is getting a job before coming here helpful ?

How old is he? Would he live with you? Can you be more specific about your dad without us having to ask you constantly?

This is for my mother who is over 65 years old. Father passed away long time back. No immediate family left back in the country of origin. All immediate family in the USA.

Thank You !
I am a bit concerned because my mother's stay outside of USA is over ONE year even though still within the TWO year Re-Entry permit limit !
I have heard that when stay exceeds over 6 months, people face problem on return.
I will be going and bringing my mother here. So I will be present with her at the time of immigration at the USA arrival airport .
Since, my mother does not know much English, I will have to answer the questions !

I am very thankful for everyone's response on this forum.

Thank You !
I am a bit concerned because my mother's stay outside of USA is over ONE year even though still within the TWO year Re-Entry permit limit !
I have heard that when stay exceeds over 6 months, people face problem on return.
I will be going and bringing my mother here. So I will be present with her at the time of immigration at the USA arrival airport .
Since, my mother does not know much English, I will have to answer the questions !

I am very thankful for everyone's response on this forum.

I think you can relax, since you have the reentry permit and it seems your mom will be your dependent while been in the U.S. When you don't have the reentry permit, then you will confront some issues for sure.

Retired people are spared the brunt of CBP's questioning. They might ask why she was gone for so long, and whether she plans on going for long again. I don't know how old she is, and how often she travels, but you can always say that she is old and doesn't travel often; when she does travel, she spends does it for a longer period, and then doesn't travel again very soon. Does this match her pattern? Or, was she gone for medical reasons, for example?

Anyway, the point is it is unlikely to be stressful. Let us know how it goes.

Retired people are spared the brunt of CBP's questioning.
Though probably true, nothing is past the CBP in the current political\immigration climate. I know of a retired permanent resident couple who were questioned at length after returning back to the US having spent 179 days overseas.

Can you please let us know what questions were asked to the elderly permanent resident couple ? What documents should be kept ready at hand ? What was the airport name where they were asked questions ?

In our case, in addition to Permanent Resident card, parent has a Re-Entry Permit valid for return until Jan/2018. Parent left USA in Jan/2016 (over one year now) and plans to return later this year (before the expiry of two year Re-Entry Permit)

Last edited: