Reschedule Interview Appointment?

CWH

I was so excited to get a letter from the asylum office that I am scheduled for an interview on June 7, 2017, after having submitted my asylum application in October 2014. That is 2 years and 8 months of waiting. The thing is my attorney will not be able to accompany me in the interview room because of her important milestone in life. I have to decide whether I need her in the room with me and I can keep my original interview date, OR she will put in a request for rescheduling.

From what I gathered, it could take another long wait if the rescheduling is from me (or my attorney). I want to ask those who already had the interview, do you think it's important to have had an attorney with you? Also, for those who rescheduled your appointment, how long is your new appointment from your original one? By the way, I am under the Chicago jurisdiction.

Thank you for all your input.

i had a talk with my attorney again, and she explained to me that she has limited role in the interview room. basically, she cannot intervene the conversation that i have with the asylum officer. the only thing that she could do is to observe and make a short summary to make important points re-heard at the end of the interview. so i decided that i will go ahead and have the interview without her. i don't want to risk the long wait of rescheduling.

Hi, CWH

Congrats, nice to hear to get your interview date but my suggestion is to take a lawyer with you as it's psychological pressure on AO and if he is trying to grind you on unrelated questions at that point lawyer can intervene and believe me it helps and if you reschedule it won't take long time maximum 4 to 8 weeks you get your interview again, but that's your decision and wish you good luck,
take care
MAZ

Reactions: CWH
Hi, CWH

Congrats, nice to hear to get your interview date but my suggestion is to take a lawyer with you as it's psychological pressure on AO and if he is trying to grind you on unrelated questions at that point lawyer can intervene and believe me it helps and if you reschedule it won't take long time maximum 4 to 8 weeks you get your interview again, but that's your decision and wish you good luck,
take care
MAZ
@MAZ73 Thank you for your input. I agreed with you as I was thinking about the same thing you mentioned and I asked myself if I could handle such pressure. I already went ahead and asked my attorney to put in a request for rescheduling last Thursday.