• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Please pay attention to what you're reading. The spreadsheet describes two differed scenarios. The AOS petition can be rejected or denied due to early filing.

1. Package is rejected by the Chicago Lockbox. If this happens, the entire package is returned and you can re-file by simply sending back your package ensuring it arrives on or after the first day of the month your CN is current.

2. Package is accepted by the Chicago Lockbox, processed and the I-485 gets sent to the FO for adjudication. The FO denies the petition due to early filing. Your package isn't sent back at this point in time, your payment has already been cashed. So all you'll be getting is a decision notice.
Thank you mom, very clearly and detailed explanation.
From I have read, the critical point to know whether the FO accept the petition or not is to receive NOA. Once the applicant receive the NOA, that means AOS package has been accepted by FO, is this correct? Can I use NOA to indicate a successful AOS submission result?

Thank you mom, very clearly and detailed explanation.
From I have read, the critical point to know whether the FO accept the petition or not is to receive NOA. Once the applicant receive the NOA, that means AOS package has been accepted by FO, is this correct? Can I use NOA to indicate a successful AOS submission result?

Okay, you're rushing through what you're reading and over processing at the same time. You're mixing up things and using terms interchangeably! You need to slow down and stop questioning every step of the process.

Send in the package to the Chicago Lockbox. Chicago Lockbox signifies acceptance of package by issuing a NOA. Chicago Lockbox sends package to NBC. NBC sends form I-485 to the FO!

Okay, you're rushing through what you're reading and over processing at the same time. You're mixing up things and using terms interchangeably! You need to slow down and stop questioning every step of the process.

Send in the package to the Chicago Lockbox. Chicago Lockbox signifies acceptance of package by issuing a NOA. Chicago Lockbox sends package to NBC. NBC sends form I-485 to the FO!
Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for correcting me and yes, there are too much info for me to calm down and make sure each step is safe... I am just too nervous about this whole thing... So scare that if I made something wrong in each step and the GC is gone...
Thank you for the detail process. Really appreciate, mom.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for correcting me and yes, there are too much info for me to calm down and make sure each step is safe... I am just too nervous about this whole thing... So scare that if I made something wrong in each step and the GC is gone...
Thank you for the detail process. Really appreciate, mom.

I commend your wanting to know as much as there is to know, but you just need to slow down a bit. This is going to be a rather long process, could be longer depending on your CN and your background check. And the FY doesn't start until Oct 1st.

Hello, need your input please, my wife have been selected this year and have the following questions:
  1. My case is in AF10,0xx, how long for interview?
  2. I would like to delay my interview as long as possible how to do this? what is the last date I can fill the DS-260 form?
  3. My wife and kids are in USA with valid visa and they already filled the 260 form, I want to do mine later, any problems with this. My wife and kids plan to change status, I have to go to the embassy for interview anyways.
  4. In addition to our native citizen, we have also Canadian citizenship, does this affect us to qualify?
  5. We didn't live in Canada for the last 7 years, but visited couple of times after leaving 7 years ago, before leaving we obtained police clearance, do we need another one from there now or the old one should be ok?
Thank you very much in advance for your responses.

Hi, I have couple of questions:

1. I've read the spreadsheet. I have an EAD card due to OPT and also an I-797 regarding to that EAD. Do I still need to include the I-797 or is the copy of EAD card enough when filing I-485?

2. I understand that we can apply for AoS when CN is current. Once CN is current and USCIS accepts the package, is there any chance of visa numbers running out? For example, let's say the application is done in October but for whatever reason the process took till June next year. At that point can USCIS say we can no longer issue a GC since all the numbers ran out, or do they need to process since the AoS application is filed when the number was current?

Thanks!

Hi there. So glad I found this forum. One looming, pulverizing question I can't seem to get a final answer on:

Do I have to file DS-260 AND I-485 if I am applying for Adjustment of Status?
I got accepted for further processing by Diversity Visa Lottery. I am from Ireland but based in New York for the past 5 years.

And I have heard a new law came in that requires you to do both. Email from the Kentucky offices a lawyer in an online thread I saw said I still have to do DS-260. While my old lawyer said I don't. So confusing and I don't wanna screw up my application.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Shane

Hello, need your input please, my wife have been selected this year and have the following questions:
  1. My case is in AF10,0xx, how long for interview?
  2. I would like to delay my interview as long as possible how to do this? what is the last date I can fill the DS-260 form?
  3. My wife and kids are in USA with valid visa and they already filled the 260 form, I want to do mine later, any problems with this. My wife and kids plan to change status, I have to go to the embassy for interview anyways.
  4. In addition to our native citizen, we have also Canadian citizenship, does this affect us to qualify?
  5. We didn't live in Canada for the last 7 years, but visited couple of times after leaving 7 years ago, before leaving we obtained police clearance, do we need another one from there now or the old one should be ok?
Thank you very much in advance for your responses.

1. I don't know. Go through Simon's blog for an idea of when the CN may become current:
http://britsimonsays.com/historical-visa-bulletin-numbers/

2. DS 260 form submission has no impact on the AOS process - take a look at the AOS process spreadsheet, the FAQ tab has more information on this:
http://goo.gl/0va2DU

3. What is your family's current status in the US? Are they on a visitor's visa?

4. Has no bearing. All that matters is your country of birth.

5. No PCC required for AOS. If your processing CP, then you will definitely need a new PCC since you've been back there.

Hi, I have couple of questions:

1. I've read the spreadsheet. I have an EAD card due to OPT and also an I-797 regarding to that EAD. Do I still need to include the I-797 or is the copy of EAD card enough when filing I-485?

2. I understand that we can apply for AoS when CN is current. Once CN is current and USCIS accepts the package, is there any chance of visa numbers running out? For example, let's say the application is done in October but for whatever reason the process took till June next year. At that point can USCIS say we can no longer issue a GC since all the numbers ran out, or do they need to process since the AoS application is filed when the number was current?

Thanks!

1. Copy of both.

2. Visa doesn't get reserved. If there are no visas left by the time the petition gets adjudicated, it simply means that's the end. No GC.

1. Copy of both.

2. Visa doesn't get reserved. If there are no visas left by the time the petition gets adjudicated, it simply means that's the end. No GC.
Thanks for the reply! As a follow up to Q2, on 2016 Sept Visa bulletin DV shows current for all regions (For September, immigrant numbers in the DV category are available to qualified DV-2016 applicants chargeable to all regions/eligible countries as follows...), does it mean they still had visas by then?

Hi there. So glad I found this forum. One looming, pulverizing question I can't seem to get a final answer on:

Do I have to file DS-260 AND I-485 if I am applying for Adjustment of Status?
I got accepted for further processing by Diversity Visa Lottery. I am from Ireland but based in New York for the past 5 years.

And I have heard a new law came in that requires you to do both. Email from the Kentucky offices a lawyer in an online thread I saw said I still have to do DS-260. While my old lawyer said I don't. So confusing and I don't wanna screw up my application.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Shane

Please go through the AOS process spreadsheet, the FQ tab has answers to your initial questions. Of course you should still pay attention to the rest of the tabs:

http://goo.gl/0va2DU

Thanks for the reply! As a follow up to Q2, on 2016 Sept Visa bulletin DV shows current for all regions (For September, immigrant numbers in the DV category are available to qualified DV-2016 applicants chargeable to all regions/eligible countries as follows...), does it mean they still had visas by then?

Yes current means they believe they will have visas available to those who qualify/succeed with the interview.

Hi again, I have another question about tax returns for I-485.

When we submit copies of tax returns do we only include 1040's (1040NR, 1040EZ, 1040A, etc) or do we also need to include other forms which were part of the return (8863, 1098-T, etc)?

Yes current means they believe they will have visas available to those who qualify/succeed with the interview.
Hi mom, a problem in the timeline section in spreadsheet. What happened in the dv2015 and dv2016 weblink ? It can not access... Thanks

Hi again, I have another question about tax returns for I-485.

When we submit copies of tax returns do we only include 1040's (1040NR, 1040EZ, 1040A, etc) or do we also need to include other forms which were part of the return (8863, 1098-T, etc)?

You contact the IRS and get a tax transcript

1. I don't know. Go through Simon's blog for an idea of when the CN may become current:
I looked at it and appears that it become current in Nov, when would the interview be? two month later?

2. DS 260 form submission has no impact on the AOS process - take a look at the AOS process spreadsheet, the FAQ tab has more information on this:
I'm referring to CP process for myself, and AOS for wife and kids. I'm not in USA, they are. In this case, is delaying DS 260 delay interview time for me? what is the last time I can submit the DS 260?

3. What is your family's current status in the US? Are they on a visitor's visa?
Wife is TN-1, kids F-1, I'm not in USA. So, they will do AOS, I will do CP, any issues with this?

Thanks

5. No PCC required for AOS. If your processing CP, then you will definitely need a new PCC since you've been back there.[/QUOTE]
No police clearance certificate required for AOS even they stayed many years in different countries? no where it say this in the diversity visa website? For me, CP, how long the police clearance certificate is valid for? do I have to do all the countries I stayed in?

6. after I have the interview how longtime I have to enter USA? no more than 6 month? Can I extend the 6 month to 12 month?

7. I want to delay my entry to USA till September next year, how can I do this?

1. I looked at it and appears that it become current in Nov, when would the interview be? two month later?

2. I'm referring to CP process for myself, and AOS for wife and kids. I'm not in USA, they are. In this case, is delaying DS 260 delay interview time for me? what is the last time I can submit the DS 260?

3. Wife is TN-1, kids F-1, I'm not in USA. So, they will do AOS, I will do CP, any issues with this?

Thanks

5. No police clearance certificate required for AOS even they stayed many years in different countries? no where it say this in the diversity visa website? For me, CP, how long the police clearance certificate is valid for? do I have to do all the countries I stayed in?

6. after I have the interview how longtime I have to enter USA? no more than 6 month? Can I extend the 6 month to 12 month?

Hello all,

I am selectee of 2018 lottery Asia and my number is 5*** and I think it is a high number. Based on the information that I saw in the Bulletins for this year and previous years, my number will not become current until May 0f 2018 (Best case scenario). I am from Iran and I think the background check for Iranian may take at least 3 or 4 months (even more). In this case, If I can not receive interview appointment before September 30th of 2018 and have filled the AOS, do they deny my case and do I need to leave the country? (I am currently on F1)
I appreciate your time!

1. I looked at it and appears that it become current in Nov, when would the interview be? two month later?

2. I'm referring to CP process for myself, and AOS for wife and kids. I'm not in USA, they are. In this case, is delaying DS 260 delay interview time for me? what is the last time I can submit the DS 260?

3. Wife is TN-1, kids F-1, I'm not in USA. So, they will do AOS, I will do CP, any issues with this?

Thanks

5. No police clearance certificate required for AOS even they stayed many years in different countries? no where it say this in the diversity visa website? For me, CP, how long the police clearance certificate is valid for? do I have to do all the countries I stayed in?

1. AOS interview could be anywhere from the month the CN is current to several months after - hard to tell. It all depends on your wife's FO.

2. You can't submit the Ds260 form for yourself without your wife first submitting, and since you're planning on doing follow to join, I suggest the sooner the better. Your interview is already going to be delayed since your wife must be approved first, you don't want to further things with additional delays.

3. Okay, so wife and kids have legal status in the US. Only issue is potential long delay before your interview.

5. Like I said, no PCC required for AOS. PCC validity varies, I can't tell you how long yours will be valid for. Read the instructions from the link on your wife's selectee notification letter for guidance on your own PCC requirements.

6. No, you cannot extend the visa expiration date.

7. That may already be possible without you having to do anything. Your wife's interview date is currently unknown talk less of yours.