What happens to existing L1 visa once F1 is stamped

Zen

I am in the US currently working on L1 visa. I have received an admit for a full time MBA program from a University. I am planning to visit India and get my F1 stamping done by mid-June 2017.

The course does not commence until 21-Aug-17. My I20 has an effective date of 22-Jul-17. Will my L1 visa continue to hold good after my F1 visa is stamped but until my F1 triggers in or will the USCIS invalidate it upon the F1 stamping? I am planning to return to US after my F1 is stamped on my L1 (provided it is not invalidated upon the F1 stamping), continue working until 22-Jul-17, then travel to Canada/Mexico and re-enter on F1, if this is at all possible.

Please advise.

Visas are issued by consulates which are part of the Department of State. USCIS has nothing to do with it. The consulate may or may not cancel existing visas when they issue you a new visa. If they don't cancel the L1 visa, you are free to use it.

Thanks for your response! Can I also assume that if the F1 is denied for some reason my existing visa stays untouched and that it will not be invalidated. I am just trying to make sure that I understand things completely before I go for my F1 visa stamping.

Can someone advise if I can go to Canada while on L1 and return back on F1 status within a day? I read that people travelling to Canada or Mexico and returning back within 30 days do not get a new I94.