Doubts with my ssn?

achour

Hello everybody,
I'm new in USA and i apply for every job like the most people . Sometimes in the job application they ask for my SSN number or for the last 4 digital number of my SSN so if we ever feel that our SSN has been hacked in one way or another. Then how to verify that it is true or not ?
How to protest our SSN?
And what i can do if I'm sure my SSN is hacked ?

Many times you will be asked for your SSN. Companies use it as a reference, it's used in healthcare matters and so on. Your employer will need it and should "verify" it as being a genuine number. You can't really keep it 100% secret. So - it's best to assume it is not a secret number at all.

What you then do is make sure that no one does anything with your number. For that you need to watch your credit history. Setup a free account with creditkarma.com (or a similar site) and you can be alerted any time there is activity such as a credit check or new credit account in your name. If you notice anything like that - the site will tell you what to do.

Many times you will be asked for your SSN. Companies use it as a reference, it's used in healthcare matters and so on. Your employer will need it and should "verify" it as being a genuine number. You can't really keep it 100% secret. So - it's best to assume it is not a secret number at all.

What you then do is make sure that no one does anything with your number. For that you need to watch your credit history. Setup a free account with creditkarma.com (or a similar site) and you can be alerted any time there is activity such as a credit check or new credit account in your name. If you notice anything like that - the site will tell you what to do.

So it is considered OK to share SSN number when asked by recruiters? (usually they will ask the last 4 digits, but i am not sure what can they do what that 4 digits though). I tend not to provide them that info UNTIL the job application progressed to the next stage.

I always treat SSN as a secret set of numbers that no one else should know about. (not sure if my approach is correct)