green card and studying abroad for 6 years

Sanders93

Hello,

I wonder if you can help me. I've been reading different threads but still have a dilemma on what to do.

I am Permanent resident in the States.I am going to Medical school in Poland( citizenship) in Fall 2017. The program lasts 6 years. I will be applying for reentry permit. That preserves my green card for 2 years. And reapply thats possibly another 2 years if granted. I am not intending to abandon my status but, because of my lengthy period being out of US, I am aware that I may run into some problems at the port of entry.

What happens after my reentry permit ends ?( I'll still have 2 years of medical school left). I should return to the USA before 1 year is over , every 6 months ?

Will it be enough if I visit the U.S for summer( 3 months) and xmas holidays(2 weeks) every year whether i have the reentry permit or not. I am also planning on doing my rotations in the US which is another reason why I would be back in the summer.

How do you show ties to the US ? Is having family sufficient ? My mother is a U.S citizen. I've read in other posts that you must show college transcripts, bank statements , proving financial support, car reg etc ?

I hope you can shed some light on this situation.
Thank you for you help,

Sandra
P.S yes i know it would be much simpler and less complicated if were to study here. But, its much cheaper over there...

Hello,

I wonder if you can help me. I've been reading different threads but still have a dilemma on what to do.

I am Permanent resident in the States.I am going to Medical school in Poland( citizenship) in Fall 2017. The program lasts 6 years. I will be applying for reentry permit. That preserves my green card for 2 years. And reapply thats possibly another 2 years if granted. I am not intending to abandon my status but, because of my lengthy period being out of US, I am aware that I may run into some problems at the port of entry.

What happens after my reentry permit ends ?( I'll still have 2 years of medical school left). I should return to the USA before 1 year is over , every 6 months ?

Will it be enough if I visit the U.S for summer( 3 months) and xmas holidays(2 weeks) every year whether i have the reentry permit or not. I am also planning on doing my rotations in the US which is another reason why I would be back in the summer.

How do you show ties to the US ? Is having family sufficient ? My mother is a U.S citizen. I've read in other posts that you must show college transcripts, bank statements , proving financial support, car reg etc ?

I hope you can shed some light on this situation.
Thank you for you help,

Sandra
P.S yes i know it would be much simpler and less complicated if were to study here. But, its much cheaper over there...

Hi Sandra,

Try checking out this website for more information https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/af...ternational-travel-permanent-resident#reenter

I'm adding some of the recommendation listed on this website:

If you remain outside of the United States for more than 2 years, any reentry permit granted before your departure from the United States will have expired. In this case, it is advisable to consider applying for a returning resident visa (SB-1) at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. An SB-1 applicant will be required to establish eligibility for an immigrant visa and will need a medical exam. There is an exception to this process for the spouse or child of either a member of the U.S. Armed Forces or civilian employee of the U.S. Government stationed abroad on official orders. For more information on obtaining a returning resident visa, see the Department of State’s

Additionally, absences from the United States of six months or more may disrupt the continuous residency required for naturalization. If your absence is one year or longer and you wish to preserve your continuous residency in the United States for naturalization purposes, you may file an Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes on Form N-470.

I think you should consider traveling to the U.S. whenever you have a chance, since others have share that getting approval for a SB-1 visa is very difficult.

Hello,

I am in the same situation. I have been studying abroad for 5 years now (currently on my senior year) and I have a green card. I never applied for a reentry permit because I never intended to be outside the US for more than 5 months at a time. I always come back after each semester, including holidays, and I was also never asked for the permit when returning to the country.

First of all, I was never asked for details. They always ask me for how long have I been outside of the country and that's it. Once, an officer asked me why I was studying back home and by saying that education was free in my country was more than enough.

I am also the daughter of an American citizen (born and raised in America) and I think that's always a plus, he still supports me financially and his home is still my American address. So basically those are my main ties and it was always OK. I was never asked to show anything else.

So I think that by explaining that your mom is American and that college in Poland is cheaper, you'll be fine. Just in case, always carry a college transcript to prove that you are really studying abroad, but I was never asked for it.

I don't know how the new government can affect students with green card abroad. I guess we'll have to stay tuned.

Good luck!

Hello,

I am in the same situation. I have been studying abroad for 5 years now (currently on my senior year) and I have a green card. I never applied for a reentry permit because I never intended to be outside the US for more than 5 months at a time. I always come back after each semester, including holidays, and I was also never asked for the permit when returning to the country.

First of all, I was never asked for details. They always ask me for how long have I been outside of the country and that's it. Once, an officer asked me why I was studying back home and by saying that education was free in my country was more than enough.

I am also the daughter of an American citizen (born and raised in America) and I think that's always a plus, he still supports me financially and his home is still my American address. So basically those are my main ties and it was always OK. I was never asked to show anything else.

So I think that by explaining that your mom is American and that college in Poland is cheaper, you'll be fine. Just in case, always carry a college transcript to prove that you are really studying abroad, but I was never asked for it.

I don't know how the new government can affect students with green card abroad. I guess we'll have to stay tuned.

Good luck!

Hi Lollywood,

Thanks for sharing your experience :)

How did you father became an american citizen? from birth? or naturalized?

If from birth, and he had resided in the USA for more than 5 years, then you are actually a citizen (by birth).

Hello,

Good luck!

I studied abroad for a total of 3 years (but was never out for more than 5 months at a time), so I can't help with a 6-year programme, but what Lollywood is saying sounds helpful. You could maybe avoid spending money on the re-entry permit, but of course, you would then have to return to the US for ALL long holidays for as long as possible (this is what I did). To save money, you could apply for a re-entry permit for the last two years of your programme.

Ties to the US are also similar to what Lollywood mentioned - your family remain here, and maybe if they help you with money. This can remain your home address. Keep your bank accounts, credit cards, driving licence, and maybe even your car even if someone else will use it (or have a family member's car transferred to your name, or make it a jointly-owned car). If you can get on someone's lease agreement, that might help (but is probably too much work).