TD Visa without dependents(spouse and kids)

bmnirmal

Hi,
I will be in the POE applying for my TN Visa. I want to apply TD visa for my wife and kids. I have their Passports, marriage certificate and the birth certificate of my kids.
  1. Is it possible to get their TD visa without they being physically present?
  2. What is the cheapest way to get their TD visa, as traveling is too expensive? Any ideas?
Much appreciated!! Thanks

Can you give some more details? Are your dependents in Canada? If so, going to the closest POE is the fastest way to get TD status for your dependents and TN for yourself in parallel

One can only get a US visa at a US consulate abroad. As a Canadian citizen, you do not need a visa to enter the US, and as thus you just need to go to the US border to enter into TN status. No visa involved. If your spouse and/or kids are Canadian citizens, they likewise don't need a visa to enter the US, and can just go to the US border to enter into TD status. If they have another nationality, they will need to go to a US consulate to apply for a TD visa.

No additional info needed. TD is an entry status for the individual. No entry, no status given. They need to cross to get status.
And to newacct, a consular visa -- even if granted to a non-Cdn -- is NOT TD status, it is merely the permission to REQUEST TD status upon entry into US. Anyone outside US requesting TD MUST still attempt to enter the US to do so.

In Canada, it can only be at an airport (or a seaport) which has scheduled passenger trips to US, and you and your family would have to be on one of those voyages. You can't do it without ENTERING US.

If you are in US (you never said) then you must first LEAVE US, and then re-enter.

As for expense, it would help if you told us where you are.

And if "travelling' is too expensive, then the only need to get it the next time they go to US for any reason. No need to make a special trip.

In Canada, it can only be at an airport (or a seaport) which has scheduled passenger trips to US, and you and your family would have to be on one of those voyages. You can't do it without ENTERING US.

If you are in US (you never said) then you must first LEAVE US, and then re-enter.

As for expense, it would help if you told us where you are.

And if "travelling' is too expensive, then the only need to get it the next time they go to US for any reason. No need to make a special trip.

Yes, all of us are in the US. We are in Florida and it is so expensive to go to the border. The officer who did gave me the TN Visa said that I can take them to any CBP offices with my latest I-94 to get TD visa. Is that true? I see there are CBP offices all around US.

Is there any other way we can do it without travelling to the border? The TD Visas are expiring on 13th May 2017.

Last edited:
Finally, we know were you are! And that you all HAVE TN/TD status already (I guess mister's request for more info was prescient).
1. stop using the word "visa", you are trying to update your TN (and TD ) statuses.
2. Since they are still in status, they can submit one I-539 form for all of them to get new I-94s by mail. It will take some time to get the I-94s, but they remain in status by filing before the 13th.
3. Where did you cross to get TN? The officer is completely wrong on his advice. Even TDs either need to enter, or MAIL an I-539 as above.
4. For your location in Florida, some have taken a day trip to Bahamas. they can then get their TDs on the way back.

Finally, we know were you are! And that you all HAVE TN/TD status already (I guess mister's request for more info was prescient).
1. stop using the word "visa", you are trying to update your TN (and TD ) statuses.
2. Since they are still in status, they can submit one I-539 form for all of them to get new I-94s by mail. It will take some time to get the I-94s, but they remain in status by filing before the 13th.
3. Where did you cross to get TN? The officer is completely wrong on his advice. Even TDs either need to enter, or MAIL an I-539 as above.
4. For your location in Florida, some have taken a day trip to Bahamas. they can then get their TDs on the way back.

I flew from Calgary.

I liked the option #1 and #4.
#1. How much I need to pay? If I am sending just one application - is it just $370 for all? or should I pay $370 for each - my spouse + 2 kids?
#3. Bahamas - Can I take a ferry or should it be by plane? Please explain.