TN Visa Renewal and Employer Change

JR85

Hello,
I'm a Canadian citizen on a TN visa working as a RN for a travel nurse agency. My TN is expiring March 31st. I am just finishing up a travel assignment at a hospital which will end Feb 25th. My plan is to find a regular position in the area which would be a change of employer or continue with my travel agency which would still require a new TN or an extension that can be filed through my company to USCIS.

I have a few questions regarding the extension via USCIS. First of all, when should an employer file the form for an extension and how long does it usually take? Do they give you an I 94? I've always gone to a POE for TN's and didn't know this was an option if you stay with the same employer.

My other question is how long do you have to leave the U.S. after you quit a job? There seems to be a lot of conflicting information. I have heard people say 10 days, but I've been told different by border agent. My last TN visa was an employer change and I believe I got to the border about a week after my last day at the previous employer and the border agent told me it all depends how close you are to the border and they kind of gave me attitude about not leaving for a week after the job ended. This seems to me like it is all at the discretion of the officer which could mean 1 day, 3.5 days, 5 or 10 days...

Just want to stay kosher with U.S. immigration!

There is a new rule since January that allows you 30 days I believe,

Renewal/ petition by mail is covered in detail elsewhere. I-129
You would need to file premium processing for a new employer.

Thanks for the reply Nelsona,

I have been researching this new rule, but can't seem to find anything other than a 10 day grace period before and after TN. Some lawyer websites say 60 days after ceasing employement but again, it's very fuzzy. If the law is in effect, it's so new that I'm sure alot of border agents are not aware. Maybe I should get an immigration attorney..

Why are you worried about grace period? You have snother job lined up.
If not then just go to border when you do or leave. A lawyer isn't going to keep you in status if you don't need to
CBP know their regs.
https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-rel...ased-immigrant-and-nonimmigrant-visa-programs
Its 10 days if your i-94 has expired, 60 days if not
Remember that filing an I-129 keeps you kegal while you wait (although you cannot begin new employment until approved - which us why you would either premium or go to border instead.