• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Hello,
I finally got my green card today :). I am so happy and excited, hopefully it's just the start for better life and new beginnings. I would like to thank everyone who helped here especially @Sm1smom and @CountryGirl. If it wasn't for this forum I would have had no idea how to go through this process, I really appreciate all the help. I can stop freaking out now and concentrate on my studies :p. Again thank you all :D.

Congratulations :)

Thank you for your reply!

That's good to know. Have you heard of anyone that has submitted their AOS in July (or before) and it taking too long?

I think I get what you mean by submitting my AOS package before the listed current month. Are you referring to when the newsletter updates for the month in advance and when I see that my number will be current (in the future month), I can submit?

Of course there's the possibility of being held up or not being able to complete the process due to pending background check. But the truth is such a person would still be held back even if they processed CP - as a matter of fact the person will actually be stuck outside of US, their life in the US would be at a standstill more or less.

I recommend you go over the AOS process spreadsheet though for a better understanding of the AOS process.

Thanks to those who are moderating! This forum has been really helpful in getting more insight into the AOS process. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Atlanta FO and have some sense of whether they're particularly slow. I've looked at the DV Timelines for the last few years but very few people have gone through Atlanta so there's not a whole lot of data to guesstimate from. I did biometrics early January and haven't heard anything at all yet (my case number doesn't show up on the Status tracker site) so any thoughts you have about delays would be great. Keep up the good work, moderators!

Thanks to those who are moderating! This forum has been really helpful in getting more insight into the AOS process. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Atlanta FO and have some sense of whether they're particularly slow. I've looked at the DV Timelines for the last few years but very few people have gone through Atlanta so there's not a whole lot of data to guesstimate from. I did biometrics early January and haven't heard anything at all yet (my case number doesn't show up on the Status tracker site) so any thoughts you have about delays would be great. Keep up the good work, moderators!

Well, what you see on the Timeline spreadsheets is what we have - that's all that's available to guesstimate from.

Hello,
I finally got my green card today :). I am so happy and excited, hopefully it's just the start for better life and new beginnings. I would like to thank everyone who helped here especially @Sm1smom and @CountryGirl. If it wasn't for this forum I would have had no idea how to go through this process, I really appreciate all the help. I can stop freaking out now and concentrate on my studies :p. Again thank you all :D.
congratulation :)

Hi,
I am on F1 status and my spouse, the winner, is on F2. I probably need to apply for OPT soon to get a position after my graduation in summer. Would this be considered a change of status or can it somehow undermine our AOS process? BTW, I am applying for EAD as well but I consider OPT a less vulnerable option because as I realized if AOS is not approved, EAD will no longer be valid.

Hi,
I am on F1 status and my spouse, the winner, is on F2. I probably need to apply for OPT soon to get a position after my graduation in summer. Would this be considered a change of status or can it somehow undermine our AOS process? BTW, I am applying for EAD as well but I consider OPT a less vulnerable option because as I realized if AOS is not approved, EAD will no longer be valid.

Applying for OPT shouldn't undermine your AOS process, it isn't considered a change of status. Although it's usually advisable to apply for OPt prior to submitting the AOS package if possible.

Mom,
Today I received my IL. However on top of that it mentioned " Appear for the form I-730, Asylee/Refugee and then date and time.
Also in the letter it has mentioned you must bring Birth certificate, US passport, Permanent resident and some other things and then said if your application is marriage based bring these documents, etc.
So why does it say i-730 while we are 485? My assumption is that each FO has their own IL template that they would send it out to everyone and just change the name and the date, is that true?

Mom,
Today I received my IL. However on top of that it mentioned " Appear for the form I-730, Asylee/Refugee and then date and time.
Also in the letter it has mentioned you must bring Birth certificate, US passport, Permanent resident and some other things and then said if your application is marriage based bring these documents, etc.
So why does it say i-730 while we are 485? My assumption is that each FO has their own IL template that they would send it out to everyone and just change the name and the date, is that true?

Don't stress what the form is called, or what's listed on it. The information thing is that you have a scheduled interview, so show up for it with all your pertinent records/documents. It's probably a generic interview notice your FO used.

Your post is one long paragraph, digging through it to know precisely what your questions are is a bit tough. Try and make it easier on the reader by numbering your questions or using paragraphs if making a long post. I will try and address what I'm able to deduce as follows:

1. Yes, you may take advantage of the early filing memo and mail in your AOS package one or two months ahead of the current month. However, be aware of a slight possibility of the package getting rejected or denied. If the package gets rejected by the Chicago Lockbox, you simply re-file it. If it gets denied by your FO, you may or may not have enough time to get your FO to reconsider the denial.

2. Your F1 visa expiration date is immaterial. What matters is the duration of the status you were admitted. If your AOS package is officially received by USCIS prior to the expiration of your admitted status, you will still be considered to be in a legal status.

3. The AOS based EAD is not what gives you a legal status to stay in the US. It is the document that enables you undertake authorized employment. It's processing takes 3-4months, depending on your FO you may even end up getting the GC before the EAD card.

4. Your scholarship will most likely not be an acceptable means of proving you will not become a legal charge. I strongly recommend you get an I-134.

In conclusion, I also recommend you go through the AOS process document to enable you get a good understanding of what's involved. The link to the spreadsheet can be found on the first post on page one if this Thread.

Thank you very much for your reply. I have two more question;
1) What are some of the things that can possibly cause rejection of the AOS package that I can try and avoid.
2)Also judging on my case number AF00000359XX, when can I expect to receive my GC if I send in my AOS package this April?Just according to your expert estimation.

Thank you very much for your reply. I have two more question;
1) What are some of the things that can possibly cause rejection of the AOS package that I can try and avoid.
2)Also judging on my case number AF00000359XX, when can I expect to receive my GC if I send in my AOS package this April?Just according to your expert estimation.

1. I'm sorry I can't start listing out what may or could possibly cause a rejection or denial. I've already provided guidance on what could/should be done to ensure acceptable/approval. Please follow the guidance on the AOS process spreadsheet. If you have a specific question with regards to the process, you may ask.

2. All things being equal, the process typically takes about 3-4 months. I however can't specifically guesstimate when you're likely to get your GC. The interview and the final approval is FO specific.

Can I claim my younger brother who is a U.S. citizen as a dependent since in his school I'm officially his guardian? I didn't put down in the forms that he's my dependent or anything like that because I became his guardian after I filled out the DV lottery form and just 3 months before I knew my case number got selected. When I do my taxes right now, can I put him down as my dependent or will this slow things down?

Can I claim my younger brother who is a U.S. citizen as a dependent since in his school I'm officially his guardian? I didn't put down in the forms that he's my dependent or anything like that because I became his guardian after I filled out the DV lottery form and just 3 months before I knew my case number got selected. When I do my taxes right now, can I put him down as my dependent or will this slow things down?

Tax advice is not the purpose of this forum, but in general you can have a "dependent" for tax purposes who is not a DV derivative. I don't recall in any case any of the DV forms asking one to list dependents? (Obviously as a sibling he is ineligible to be a derivative of your DV case.)

Having your brother listed as a dependent on your tax documents will not impact your AOS processing.

However wether or not you can claim him as a dependent on your tax forms is a question you'll need to ask your tax advisor as that is beyond the scope of this forum.

So it's been about 2 months since my case got received, and 1.5 months since getting my biometrics done. No IL yet. I called the KCC today and it seems that my FO has not requested my case file from them yet. The rep I was on the phone with did give me what he said to be the phone number of my FO, but when I googled the phone number he gave me it turned out that it's actually the NBC phone number. Is that strange?

Anyway, I intend to schedule an InfoPass for next week so I can go down to my FO and check what's going on. Does that sound reasonable, or is 2 months after biometrics too early for an InfoPass?

So it's been about 2 months since my case got received, and 1.5 months since getting my biometrics done. No IL yet. I called the KCC today and it seems that my FO has not requested my case file from them yet. The rep I was on the phone with did give me what he said to be the phone number of my FO, but when I googled the phone number he gave me it turned out that it's actually the NBC phone number. Is that strange?

Anyway, I intend to schedule an InfoPass for next week so I can go down to my FO and check what's going on. Does that sound reasonable, or is 2 months after biometrics too early for an InfoPass?

Nope, it's not strange that the KCC rep gave you what I'm guessing is actually the National Customer Service Center number - 1-800-375-5283 - (and not even the NBC number like you posted). Direct phone numbers to the FO and NBC are not publicly available, the customer service number is the only way of following up on the phone with USCIS. The only way you'll have a direct number for your FO is if the IO were to directly provide it to you.

INFOPASS is how you make direct contact with your FO, and there's no harm in scheduling one as planned.

Thanks for the prompt response! Just one follow up - is it worthwhile following up through an INFOPASS? Although it's been a while since both the application and biometrics, realize that I'm still within "normal" timetable. Only reason I ask is that I'm looking to move jobs and am currently on an E3 visa - understand the pending I-485 may have an impact on the non-immigrant intent of applying for a fresh E3 - and if the Green Card is only a month or so away, that may be worth waiting for ...

Sorry - can't link to the reply as I'm still in my first 5 posts. For reference, my case became current in November, the application was lodged in mid-October. I did the biometrics last year and received my EAD and advance parole in mid January. My field office is the New York one in Manhattan.

Thanks for the prompt response! Just one follow up - is it worthwhile following up through an INFOPASS? Although it's been a while since both the application and biometrics, realize that I'm still within "normal" timetable. Only reason I ask is that I'm looking to move jobs and am currently on an E3 visa - understand the pending I-485 may have an impact on the non-immigrant intent of applying for a fresh E3 - and if the Green Card is only a month or so away, that may be worth waiting for ...

Sorry - can't link to the reply as I'm still in my first 5 posts. For reference, my case became current in November, the application was lodged in mid-October. I did the biometrics last year and received my EAD and advance parole in mid January. My field office is the New York one in Manhattan.

It depends on your definition of 'worthwhile'. I don't know of any situation where going on an INFOPASS has negatively impacted the petition.

It depends on your definition of 'worthwhile'. I don't know of any situation where going on an INFOPASS has negatively impacted the petition.
I guess by "worthwhile" I mean likely to go anywhere or expedite anything. Although, I would assume that not following up with an INFOPASS obviously results in zero chance of any acceleration, whereas going through with one will only be better than that. Is it likely that I'd be able to get any traction in speeding things up at this point in the process / cycle?