too early to renew TN?

pdoor

Hi guys,
I am new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone can please help me. I am a Canadian on TN-1 and my current TN expires on March 31st. I was in Toronto last week Feb 15th and tried to "renew" my current TN. The officer told me that I was there too early to apply for a new TN, and I was told to come back within 30days, or a week or maybe a couple days before the expiration date. I couldn't find any guideline on the government website to say when exactly you can apply a new TN. After talking to the lawyer in my company, we think they are a couple ways we can approach this: 1. go back to the border right before March31st, 2. file a premium processing now. If option 1 doesn't work, file the premium processing right before march 31st. If option2 doesn't work, go back to the border right before March 31st. The timing is tricky and I really don't know what to do. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Since this is the renewal of the TN, I am thinking/assuming your profile is solid such that a TN can be granted to you. Given this, you are likely ok to go back to the border close to your current TN's expiration and get a new one.

Since this is the renewal of the TN, I am thinking/assuming your profile is solid such that a TN can be granted to you. Given this, you are likely ok to go back to the border close to your current TN's expiration and get a new one.

when do you think I should go back then? a week before March31st? or 2 weeks before? or a couple days before?

Well, the officer gave you the guidelines, not much we can say to contradict these; if you are planning a trip out of country in march, then any time during the month will do. If you aren't otherwise planning to leave, then anytime after the 15th will be absolutely fine.

Hi Nelsona, thank you so much for the advice! Since there's no written or published guidelines on the government website, it just makes me nervous. What if next officer insists within 7days? My husband was able to renew his TN 3months before it expired. It just makes nervous that it's really up to the officer to decide when it's a good time to apply.

I would not worry about it. Just plan as close to the date as you fell comfortable with. I think that is what Mister was implying by saying the same thig: you already had a TN, from the same organization, so you/they are unlikely to mess up this renewal, so you won't need to fix things in an emergency.

I wouldn't be bothering with premium processing if doing a mail-in, since simply filing gets you 240 days of TN status. So the lawyers advice was suspect, in my opinion. Renewals for the same employer NEVER need premium processing.

I would not worry about it. Just plan as close to the date as you fell comfortable with. I think that is what Mister was implying by saying the same thig: you already had a TN, from the same organization, so you/they are unlikely to mess up this renewal, so you won't need to fix things in an emergency.

I wouldn't be bothering with premium processing if doing a mail-in, since simply filing gets you 240 days of TN status. So the lawyers advice was suspect, in my opinion. Renewals for the same employer NEVER need premium processing.

Hi Nelsona and Hello Mister,
Sorry to bug you guys again, but one last question. If I fly back to Canada and try to cross the border on March 24th (my current one expires on 31st), what do you think the date for my new TN letter should be? Should I ask my company to put it "request TN work permit from March 27th, 2017 to March 26th 2020", or the start date needs to be on my traveling date, i.e. "request TN work permit from March 24th, 2017 to March 23th 2020"? Thanks!

The letter simply shouldn't have a "start date". It should be a recently dated letter, requesting "three years" of TN. This avoids the silly requirement for you to show up on a specific date.