• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Trump and the DV lottery

Raise Act might end the DV Lottery.

Let's wait and see and drink some tea.

"The RAISE Act is also unlikely to prevail; two prominent Republican senators, Lindsey Graham and John McCain, have expressed opposition to it, along with their Democratic colleagues. But even if the legislation flops, the ideas it promotes will have powerful advocates in Washington. Jeff Sessions, Mr Trump’s attorney-general, has long championed reduced immigration. Stephen Miller, who was once Mr Sessions’s communications director and now advises Mr Trump, seems to share his old boss’s attitudes. Mr Trump’s own rhetoric on legal immigration is ambivalent. He has both called for the “big, beautiful door” and, in a policy speech before the election, said he wants “to keep immigration levels measured by population share within historical norms.”
Source: http://www.economist.com/news/unite...n-new-effort-narrow-route-permanent-residency

There has been talk from both sides of the aisle to getting rid of the Diversity Lottery for years. This isn't a partisan issue. Democrats and Republicans alike have problems with it.

There has been talk from both sides of the aisle to getting rid of the Diversity Lottery for years. This isn't a partisan issue. Democrats and Republicans alike have problems with it.

Time will tell what will happen with the program . I'm crossing fingers so bad and hoping that luck in on my side on this DV 2018. The program will be under scrutiny in the near future, that's for sure.

I guess so... remember when Obama wanted to review the immigration policy and have a new one by 2017? Here you go. Never happened. I am not even sure he had the time to really think about it. At some point back in 2012/13 people assumed that the US were going to have an immigration policy similar to the one in Canada. I think that would be a great idea. Now I am not sure how they would be able to do that anyway.

I feel you mate, been "playing" for 6 years in a row and never won ;)

I guess so... remember when Obama wanted to review the immigration policy and have a new one by 2017? Here you go. Never happened. I am not even sure he had the time to really think about it. At some point back in 2012/13 people assumed that the US were going to have an immigration policy similar to the one in Canada. I think that would be a great idea. Now I am not sure how they would be able to do that anyway.

I feel you mate, been "playing" for 6 years in a row and never won ;)

Lets hope the good luck is on our side Puda and best of luck on your application

I read news paper article which said that "house passes bill to remove DV lottery", that was in 2012 and dv lottery is still there.

Latest news article I just found, mentioning the various recent bills in an attempt to scrap the DV lottery.
(but again, please don't panic - this is just to keep up to date)
http://www.voanews.com/a/green-card-lottery/3743735.html

I am linking the two latest bills here, too as some links in the article can't be clicked but I copied them from the source code of the page.

H.R.1178 - SAFE for America Act, Sponsor: Rep. Posey, Bill [R-FL-8] (Introduced 02/16/2017)
S.354 - RAISE Act, Sponsor: Sen. Cotton, Tom [R-AR] (Introduced 02/13/2017)

Latest news article I just found, mentioning the various recent bills in an attempt to scrap the DV lottery.
(but again, please don't panic - this is just to keep up to date)
http://www.voanews.com/a/green-card-lottery/3743735.html

I am linking the two latest bills here, too as some links in the article can't be clicked but I copied them from the source code of the page.

H.R.1178 - SAFE for America Act, Sponsor: Rep. Posey, Bill [R-FL-8] (Introduced 02/16/2017)
S.354 - RAISE Act, Sponsor: Sen. Cotton, Tom [R-AR] (Introduced 02/13/2017)

The U.S. President told to republicans and democrats during his first address to congress to work in a new immigration reform and this might also bring some changes and could impact the DV Lottery. For now there is nothing in paper and we just have to wait and see what happens. There is also a new EO in the way that could impact DV lottery winners in some countries but we are not sure yet.

Thanks for the links and the info.

He was reading script. Even George W Bush tried merit based immigration system but couldn't imply it. Let's wait and watch.