• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2017 DV Winners Meet Here!

Dera Susie l am a happily married person:)but the question is for our single memberes, in previous experience I read that some of single applicants asked pictures if I am not mistaken and I also read us embassy ADDIS used to collect the applicant fee first and if visa granted the derivatives follows, are they still follow same procedure? if the income of your host is not sufficient to send you I-134 can you ask some one else keeping your first sponser as a host thanks for your answer.

The embassies do not typically ask a single person to present pictures of family members.

They've sometimes allowed the main petitioner to make a single payment first and following a successful interview the petitioner gets asked to make the remaining payment for the rest of the family. Not all embassies do that, and there's no guarantee those that did it in the past are still doing so or will continue to do so.

Yes someone else other than your host may provide you with an affidavit of support - be prepared to explain or provide proof of the relationship between you and the person providing the affidavit of support.

and I think it would be a little unfair to ask for interview fees for each person in a family of 5, for example,for a case they clearly know they are going to disqualify...i don't think they usually do that.

PS- anybody can correct me for what i just said!!

It is not a matter of fairness. Technically speaking, if 5 people present themselves for an interview, the embassy is obligated to collect the interview fee from all 5 regardless of the potential outcome of the interview. The embassy is not obligated to be fair in that respect, they may however exercise discretion in doing so.

The truth is they are more interested in issuing the visas than denying people. We can also say by the same token that you're thinking they should request payment from only one person in the case of a family of five that they clearly know they're going to deny, the selectee with a large family who knows or has been told ahead of time they will be denied because they do not meet the requirements or failed to follow the DV instructions shouldn't go ahead and risk it in the first place.

The embassies do not typically ask a single person to present pictures of family members.

They've sometimes allowed the main petitioner to make a single payment first and following a successful interview the petitioner gets asked to make the remaining payment for the rest of the family. Not all embassies do that, and there's no guarantee those that did it in the past are still doing so or will continue to do so.

Yes someone else other than your host may provide you with an affidavit of support - be prepared to explain or provide proof of the relationship between you and the person providing the affidavit of support.

Hi sm1smon!,
From your reply to kxmegga, "be prepared to explain or provide proof of the relationship between you and the person providing the affidavit of support" caught my attention.
The man who is going to send me the affidavit of support is my friend . I knew him when I was studying my bachelor degree 10 years ago. To be honest,we had no contact for a long time, the first time I contacted him since then was on MAY, after the Diversity visa selection notification was published. He is okay to send me the affidavit of support. What type of proof of relationship am I supposed to present? My intention was showing the affidavit of support during interview should be okay and I was wrong.
Thanks!

Hi sm1smon!,
From your reply to kxmegga, "be prepared to explain or provide proof of the relationship between you and the person providing the affidavit of support" caught my attention.
The man who is going to send me the affidavit of support is my friend . I knew him when I was studying my bachelor degree 10 years ago. To be honest,we had no contact for a long time, the first time I contacted him since then was on MAY, after the Diversity visa selection notification was published. He is okay to send me the affidavit of support. What type of proof of relationship am I supposed to present? My intention was showing the affidavit of support during interview should be okay and I was wrong.
Thanks!

Notice my post says be prepared to EXPLAIN or PROVIDE....?

For clarification purpose, it is not like they've always asked about this, however anyone presenting an affidavit of support has to be ready to discuss the relationship between them and their sponsor. This could be by way of explaining how you know the person (when, where, how long); could be by presenting pictures of you and the sponsor, could be by presenting copies of past communications/correspondence (preferably before your DV selection), social media interactions, etc.

And by the way, for anyone interviewing on or after February 27, there's a new form I-134 version that is required to be used. This version has 8 pages, it's a bit more extensive and one of the question specifically asked on it is the relationship between the sponsor and the person being sponsored.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-134.pdf

Dera Susie l am a happily married person:)but the question is for our single memberes, in previous experience I read that some of single applicants asked pictures if I am not mistaken and I also read us embassy ADDIS used to collect the applicant fee first and if visa granted the derivatives follows, are they still follow same procedure? if the income of your host is not sufficient to send you I-134 can you ask some one else keeping your first sponser as a host thanks for your answer.

If someone arrives for an interview at an embassy, they get charged the interview fee. This is standard procedure at every embassy. The fees are always paid in advance, and are non refundable if a visa is not issued. Some embassies are "nice" and if it is an obvious disqualification - which is not always the case - tell the principal not to pay for the whole family in advance, but this is not usual practice and should not be relied on. If you don't want your family to join you immediately, they should not be attending the interview with you. If they are there you will pay the fees and they will get visas (if successful) that expire the same time as yours.

Notice my post says be prepared to EXPLAIN or PROVIDE....?

For clarification purpose, it is not like they've always asked about this, however anyone presenting an affidavit of support has to be ready to discuss the relationship between them and their sponsor. This could be by way of explaining how you know the person (when, where, how long); could be by presenting pictures of you and the sponsor, could be by presenting copies of past communications/correspondence (preferably before your DV selection), social media interactions, etc.

And by the way, for anyone interviewing on or after February 27, there's a new form I-134 version that is required to be used. This version has 8 pages, it's a bit more extensive and one of the question specifically asked on it is the relationship between the sponsor and the person being sponsored.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-134.pdf
Thank you very much for the clarification!

I have a question for zgreat and the superior moderators
I have a degree in civil engineering but I don't have official degree since I didn't pay payments (what they call cost sharing) I heard you guys say it would be fine as long as I have 12 grade completion certificate but I couldn't find a case who was approved or denied in such case. Can u guys point out such case or advise me?

Dear forum mates,

Dear Britsimon,

CN25***, waiting for 2nl for April or May interview, (my guess), correct me if i am wrong. i am working in private company
at the moment and my company wants me to travel to Dubai in February. obviously my ds260 has to be unlocked and travel history has to be
updated.

MY QUESTIONS
1. do i have to cancel my flight plan to Dubai or should i go as planned?
2. do you think Dubai (UAE) is among the countries with security risk or uncooperative governments that can cause delay for background check if ds is unlocked and updated?
3. What do you think I should do if my CN is current before my travel, as britsimon says updating after scheduled is impossible?
Thank you a lot

1. Why cancel?? No!
2. No
3. If it is SCHEDULED then you won't update.

I have a question for zgreat and the superior moderators
I have a degree in civil engineering but I don't have official degree since I didn't pay payments (what they call cost sharing) I heard you guys say it would be fine as long as I have 12 grade completion certificate but I couldn't find a case who was approved or denied in such case. Can u guys point out such case or advise me?
Do not worry about your degree certificate, explain the cost sharing issue and they will understand what the case is,they don't even bother to check your degree as long as you have high-school diploma. Relax!!

Do not worry about your degree certificate, explain the cost sharing issue and they will understand what the case is,they don't even bother to check your degree as long as you have high-school diploma. Relax!!
Thanks ZGREAT ,you have put me at ease your really The great

Yes, they want to make sure the person is not infectious anymore, they will have repeat x-ray, skin test, sputum exam.... If confirmed infective it must be treated before visa approval.
Hello Dears how have you been? thanks to all ur replies & information...@ZGREAT, i understand from ur reply that they may take serious medical examination. However, what will happen to the pregnant women? i read in Simon's reply that if some one wants the visa, it is must to get the X-ray. but what if she is diagnosed with the TB related disease? is that possible she can be treated with the treatment? i'm asking since i'm not sure whether those treatments are allowed to pregnant woman or not. if her delivery is for example, at the end of June, which is 3 months left to the end of 2017 dv process, is she gonna be treated at the remaining months? Another question is what will happen to the vaccination? i heard from the private doctor that pregnant women can't take the vaccination? is she gonna stay in AP until her due date to take for that or she will be disqualified for that reason?
thanks to all ur reply & concerns! have a good day

Hello Dears how have you been? thanks to all ur replies & information...@ZGREAT, i understand from ur reply that they may take serious medical examination. However, what will happen to the pregnant women? i read in Simon's reply that if some one wants the visa, it is must to get the X-ray. but what if she is diagnosed with the TB related disease? is that possible she can be treated with the treatment? i'm asking since i'm not sure whether those treatments are allowed to pregnant woman or not. if her delivery is for example, at the end of June, which is 3 months left to the end of 2017 dv process, is she gonna be treated at the remaining months? Another question is what will happen to the vaccination? i heard from the private doctor that pregnant women can't take the vaccination? is she gonna stay in AP until her due date to take for that or she will be disqualified for that reason?

Pregnant women take x-rays, they just wrap the lead skirt around the belly to protect the baby. For TB if there are traces of it, there will be travel until a chest X-ray can be done. You can defer the xray until after birth but the doctor will not approve the medical.

The doctor is a doctor...they will not do anything to endanger the pregnancy. Depending on exactly what the process is and what is required, they may give a waiver on some things, like a vaccination that is dangerous if pregnant. Other things may require AP - I'm not sure you can get a waiver if you have active TB for example.

Thanks for the answer MOM susi, ZGREAT, Brit and we have a new participants solome, Guriix it's good to see you here and what's your CN both of you and please keep in touch and exchange information and I think that makes us different from the rest of the winners who doesn't have forum like this one,that's absolute advantage.

when shall we excepect 2NLs for this month we have meberes waiting for it.... and I can't wait to hear our first secesfull interview

and for all my Christian fellows wishes you a happy epiphany.;)

Last edited:
Hello every one my interview is on Feb 6,i have finished all document preparations as well as medical and police certificate

I filled my ds 260 saying I have 12 grade certificate but I had a degree.i haven't received my original degree that's why I didn't fill it in z ds 260.

I have temporary papers, letters of recommendation and internship papers so my question is:
1.should I take my degree to the interview
2.does this cause any problems in acquiring Z visa

Thank you

Hello every one my interview is on Feb 6,i have finished all document preparations as well as medical and police certificate

I filled my ds 260 saying I have 12 grade certificate but I had a degree.i haven't received my original degree that's why I didn't fill it in z ds 260.

I have temporary papers, letters of recommendation and internship papers so my question is:
1.should I take my degree to the interview
2.does this cause any problems in acquiring Z visa

Thank you
Hi, Welcome

Yes you should take your degree to the interview, submit it if asked for, you can also request an edit on your form at time of interview if you want to.

Explain the reason why you did not mention it on the DS260.

Best of luck!

Hi , when i chacked my case 2017AF00024*** on CEAC the status keeps showing “At NVC.
1.So can you e-mail to KCC about my case status?
2.How can write the e-mail?
3.is that possible no problem to cheacked my case with e-mail to kcc? Thank you

Hi, Welcome

Yes you should take your degree to the interview, submit it if asked for, you can also request an edit on your form at time of interview if you want to.

Best of luck!
Hi, Welcome

Best of luck!
Hi, Welcome

Best of luck!
H
Hi , when i chacked my case 2017AF00024*** on CEAC the status keeps showing “At NVC.
1.So can you e-mail to KCC about my case status?
2.How can write the e-mail?
3.is that possible no problem to cheacked my case with e-mail to kcc? Thank you
Hi, Welcome

Best of luck!
Thank you for your fast reply Zgreat,how can I request an edit at interview,and I don't have the original due to cost sharing requirement
Thank you the great