N-565 lost certificate, police report/sworn statement required?

cabovan

Hi,

On form N-565, Part 2., Question 2., Part A, it says if certificate was lost, stolen or destroyed explain and attach police report or sworn statement.

Does anyone have experience with this? I lost my original certificate in 2007, then I applied for a new certificate that year. I called the customer service # today and it said that my certificate could not be delivered and was returned to the USCIS in 2008. It said after 180 days it would be destroyed. It is way past that now so I believe it is destroyed now and now I need a new form. (I know it was ages ago, I just haven't needed the actual form until recently).

I'm pretty sure it wasn't stolen, the original just got lost somewhere when I moved.

Do I just go to the police department and tell them what happened? What is the sworn statement? It is just a notarized statement saying I lost my form on such and such date, etc?

Thank you for your help.

Hey Cabovan,
I am going through the process myself. When filling out the form it says to include other documents like those you mentioned if you have one.
You do not need a police report but if you have one then submit a copy. I would submit copies of any documents that you may have that have that information stating they tried to deliver but were unable.