• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

To answer your question directly, no I do not know of any DV based AOS petition thats already had an interview and did not get approved by the Sept 30th deadline. Not saying it has never or may never happen, I just haven't seen, read, or heard of such. I've read if cases that didn't get scheduled for an interview by Sept 30th, and those cases for denied when they eventually got called up on around October (following the end of their applicable FY).

What you need to do, since you've already been interviewed is to keep following up with your FO.
No, we haven't been interviewed yet. Still waiting for the letter, been on infopasses over the last few months as we sent application 6 months ago. Going on another one next week. Thanks for your reply. Our online status says "we are ready to schedule for an interview" since May.

No, we haven't been interviewed yet. Still waiting for the letter, been on infopasses over the last few months as we sent application 6 months ago. Going on another one next week. Thanks for your reply. Our online status says "we are ready to schedule for an interview".

Yeah, I realized you've not had your interview as soon as I posted my previous response and I've since changed it. The online status you're seeing is unusual for a DV based AOS case. You need to visit your FO with further delay, take along the 2013 memo which talks about the need to complete the process by Sept 30th COB.

Yeah, I realized you've not had your interview as soon as I posted my previous response and I've since changed it. The online status you're seeing is unusual for a DV based AOS case. You need to visit your FO with further delay, take along the 2013 memo which talks about the need to complete the process by Sept 30th COB.
Yeah, going in a few days. When we went last time they said they were aware of the memo deadline. We asked about the online status and they said it just means they have everything and need to schedule for an interview. Thanks for your reply.

No, we haven't been interviewed yet. Still waiting for the letter, been on infopasses over the last few months as we sent application 6 months ago. Going on another one next week. Thanks for your reply. Our online status says "we are ready to schedule for an interview" since May.
Yeah, we have a pending I-130/I-485 parallel filing case and this is the online message that we are seeing since June: "we are ready to schedule for an interview". Based on I-485 FO Baltimore progression, that interview will likely take place around October/November, which is just fine. Unfortunately this type of timeline won't work for DV, though.

Yeah, we have a pending I-130/I-485 parallel filing case and this is the online message that we are seeing since June: "we are ready to schedule for an interview". Based on I-485 FO Baltimore progression, that interview will likely take place around October/November, which is just fine. Unfortunately this type of timeline won't work for DV, though.
So, that status is usually used for non DV cases. Weird we've got it on ours then. Might be worth us getting clarification that they have our application in for DV processing.

So, that status is usually used for non DV cases. Weird we've got it on ours then. Might be worth us getting clarification that they have our application in for DV processing.
Yes, I believe your assessment on this is correct. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the information!

Does this memo implies any obligations on USCIS? I.e., can I ask to expedite my name check (did bio 4 month ago) based on this memo?

Also, is there any official memo that lists the cases in which USCIS may request an expedite name check from FBI (e.g., medical emergency, sunsettig cases, lost of certain benefits,...)?
Hello I believe everyone might have different case but when I had my interview I asked my IO if my background check was already cleared, she replied that with out clearing the background check Our file won't be in IO's hand but like I said it can varies from case to case.

To pick this one up, is Baltimore known to be particularly slow or difficult? I filed early DV2017 and they will be my field office.

To pick this one up, is Baltimore known to be particularly slow or difficult? I filed early DV2017 and they will be my field office.
No, not really. You can check this out here https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do, choose Field Office Baltimore as option and benchmark with other FO's. There is a long line of cases awaiting interviews and, somehow, DV applications need to squeeze in before September 30th each year, and this can sometimes be tough, especially if for some reason or other there is a holdup for the DV interview to occur. Good luck!

You will get a better idea of how long it typically takes your FO to adjudicate a DV based AOS case by looking at the past Timelines spreadsheets we've put together in this forum than by consulting the USCIS timelines which covers all AOS cases in general. You should be able to find the links to the Timelines spreadsheets from the AOS process spreadsheet which is linked to the first post on page one of this Thread.

Hello I believe everyone might have different case but when I had my interview I asked my IO if my background check was already cleared, she replied that with out clearing the background check Our file won't be in IO's hand but like I said it can varies from case to case.

The FOs do not operate the same way and there's no rule that says they should. Some will conduct interviews even with pending background checks while others will wait for the background check to clear before conducting the interview.

Thank you guys for your help and support, I have a concern! So my CN was current in August 2016, and the Lack-box received my package in August 2nd, we have bio-metric at September 7th. is that sounds good! do you think that we can do it! is there any deadlines for the interview and the GC receiving. so by doing Bio-metric at Sep 7th what is our chance to receive the GC and when!
Thank you!!!!!!

Thank you guys for your help and support, I have a concern! So my CN was current in August 2016, and the Lack-box received my package in August 2nd, we have bio-metric at September 7th. is that sounds good! do you think that we can do it! is there any deadlines for the interview and the GC receiving. so by doing Bio-metric at Sep 7th what is our chance to receive the GC and when!
Thank you!!!!!!

Wow! It is getting pretty late for you. You are scheduled for bio on Sept 7th and you haven't made a walk in attempt at getting the biometrics out of the way??? For your information, if your case doesn't get approved by Sept 30th, that is the end of the story, you will not be getting any GC based on this petition.

Hi guys, I'm trying to get my schedule together to make room for infopasses during Sept. If we have one booked, and then book another does it cancel the first one out? Thinking I might do one for Mid Sept, then book another one for last week Sept just in case. I'll either show to all or cancel if not needed. I'm a bit concerned I won't hear from them and might need to stay on top of them.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I'm trying to get my schedule together to make room for infopasses during Sept. If we have one booked, and then book another does it cancel the first one out? Thinking I might do one for Mid Sept, then book another one for last week Sept just in case. I'll either show to all or cancel if not needed. I'm a bit concerned I won't hear from them and might need to stay on top of them.

The system typically wouldn't allow two pending appointments for the same person/with the same information. However you may be able to trick it into letting you book the second appointment by switching your names.

The system typically wouldn't allow two pending appointments for the same person/with the same information. However you may be able to trick it into letting you book the second appointment by switching your names.
So, one more, in your opinion, what options to be have if we go to our infopasses, they say everythings in order each time and they just need to book our interview and to wait - so we wait and just never hear from them. What are our options on Oct 1? Is there an appeal form we can file like 290B? Do we have to file this on Sept 30? Or is there no options?

So, one more, in your opinion, what options to be have if we go to our infopasses, they say everythings in order each time and they just need to book our interview and to wait - so we wait and just never hear from them. What are our options on Oct 1? Is there an appeal form we can file like 290B? Do we have to file this on Sept 30? Or is there no options?

After Sept 30 there is no option. Look up legal precedents, every appeal ends in the fact that there is no legal authority to issue diversity visas after fiscal year end, regardless of what led to the appeal.

After Sept 30 there is no option. Look up legal precedents, every appeal ends in the fact that there is no legal authority to issue diversity visas after fiscal year end, regardless of what led to the appeal.
So, hypothetically, what would happen to the non-immigrant visas we are on if that happens? Do they reinstate, or become void and we have to leave? Also, to get a congressman to do an enquiry, is there a template/guideline for this (things to say to get the best result etc), and do you do it via their official email?

Last edited: