PAN Card for OCI

rthakkar11

Hi,

I am currently residing in Australia as an Australian citizen. I have also applied for the OCI.

I am interested in making property and shares investment in India and would like to know if I need to have PAN for this.

Also, If I do need a PAN , how do I go about applying for the same online?

Will appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Raj

Raj,
You dont need pan card to buy property in India.Unless your taking loan to do so.In that case there is forms available at the banks for get pan card.They charge 100 Rupess.I dont think there is one available online .BUt check Citinbanks wesbite .They have live support.Perhaps they can help you out.

Get a PAN card at the earliest. As I see it, this card is becoming increasingly important. You can do it online (google pan card india) or haveone of your people in India apply for you. They just need any Id/Proof of address. Older document would also do. The card is just a tracking mechanism for tax purposes

I am in the naturalization process (US). I do not have a PAN card (I left india in mid 90s and there was no PAN card back then).

I believe you can obtain PAN card even after getting OCI. Please confirm.
I am wondering if i should apply for a PAN card now or should i wait till i get my OCI? Please advise.
For those who live outside India, Why do we need PAN card?

I am in the naturalization process (US). I do not have a PAN card (I left india in mid 90s and there was no PAN card back then).

I am wondering if i should apply for a PAN card now or should i wait till i get my OCI? Please advise.

Dont know. Good thread, lets see what answers we get.

Just because a person gets OCI does not mean they have to apply/get PAN card. If the OCI does go to live in India and maybe starts working, opens a bank acct or even applies for a ph line then the PAN comes into play.

Basically these days the PAN is a necessity to buy "luxury" items or for those who move large sums of cash around. Eventually this will make black money harder to use which will be a good thing for the economy.

hmm...good question... Never thought about it... Last year I got a PAN card when I was in India... dont know how things will change now that I am a US citizen.

Just because a person gets OCI does not mean they have to apply/get PAN card. If the OCI does go to live in India and maybe starts working, opens a bank acct or even applies for a ph line then the PAN comes into play.
PAN number is more important to conduct financial transactions in India or if you live in India to operate your dmat account, other accounts, file taxes buy item like you have said etc.
If you apply for one as a resident or NR indian, you will get it. Doesn't mean you have to.

Any replies on the stuff in bold....

PAN Card and Buying property

I have OCI card and US passport. Do I have to get a PAN card before signing the legal agreement with the builder in India to buy a property ? Is it OK to get the PAN card later before doing the registration of the property ? I would like to start paying the bulider in installment as soon as possible after signing the agreement without a PAN card. Is is possible ? I am not taking any loan form anybody. Let me know.

I have OCI card and US passport. Do I have to get a PAN card before signing the legal agreement with the builder in India to buy a property ? Is it OK to get the PAN card later before doing the registration of the property ?
---You can get PAN now or before Registration. Sub Registrar may ask your PAN number at the time of registration.
I would like to start paying the bulider in installment as soon as possible after signing the agreement without a PAN card. Is is possible ?
------------------possible. keep the copy of your Check you gave to builder. (can be from NRE account or NRO account)

I am not taking any loan form anybody. Let me know.
------------------- Keep the record that you are paying from your NRE account. Bank can also give you letter that Check number........ was paid to builder from NRE account. Once you get the registray done then you have to fill up a form with RBI (I forget the form number).

Last edited by a moderator: