• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 OC Selectees

What do you mean initial consultation? Don't you go in for one appointment and get everything done in that session?

When you call KCC to ask about your case, would they be able to differentiate between "your forms are waiting to be processed" and "your forms are currently being processed"? Or would they say the same thing either way?

In terms of property, we sold ours. It was worth alot and we weren't going to make the money back on the rental market. Plus we couldn't be a**ed managing it from overseas. The only thing I would warn about this method is capital gains if the house is your primary residence. We don't pay it in Australia but you have to pay it here in the US as an LPR if the net gain (in USD) is $250,000 for singles and $500,000 for couples.

We didn't bring any furniture over. I know some people do but we have a friend here in NC who shipped her furniture across and she said it smelt damp for months after arriving. Kinda musty. She moved here over 10 years ago so shipping methods have probably changed in that time. But it's something worth thinking about. Honestly, unless it's an heirloom, I wouldn't bring it. We brought some paintings and a few precious pieces in our suitcases and that was it. Plus, it's fun to buy new things. :)

I didn't quit my job but I did take a year long leave of absence, just to protect myself. We weren't 100% sure we'd like it here and I wanted to keep my Australian options open. Once I had found a job and had settled into it, I quit the Australian job entirely. I worked for government in Australia so there was no real opportunity to transfer anyway.

I'm thinking of selling my property here. Agree with you on avoiding the hassle of managing from overseas. Plus there's (I believe) the real risk the Australian market will go through some kind of crash. And if it does, the dollar will probably drop like a rock, so I'd be hit twice.

And I'll probably try and move some of the major pieces of furniture. Yes, new things are nice, but if it works out cheaper to move than replace, I'd go with that option.

My workplace also offers a year of absence, although I dread having that conversation - every time I see an email announcing someone is taking a year to travel or work abroad, I always think 'yeah, they're not coming back' :p

What do you mean initial consultation? Don't you go in for one appointment and get everything done in that session?
Yeah, so the appointment itself is $570 which includes the x-ray and blood work. However, if you are missing an injection they will then charge on top of that fee. I note that you need to have two separate flu injections, which I don't have, so that'll be an extra. I should have had them for free at work like I usually do!

When you call KCC to ask about your case, would they be able to differentiate between "your forms are waiting to be processed" and "your forms are currently being processed"? Or would they say the same thing either way?

They don't differentiate between those two stages....

Yeah, so the appointment itself is $570 which includes the x-ray and blood work. However, if you are missing an injection they will then charge on top of that fee. I note that you need to have two separate flu injections, which I don't have, so that'll be an extra. I should have had them for free at work like I usually do!

Is influenza only if you are interviewed during the winter time? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Does someone have an up-to-date link of vaccinations required?
I know I will at least have to have a couple, so am thinking I will go to my local GP who has my medical records and organise to have what I need with them, prior to my medical appointment. My interview will likely only be in January so I have a quite a few months up my sleeve.

Is influenza only if you are interviewed during the winter time? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Does someone have an up-to-date link of vaccinations required?
I know I will at least have to have a couple, so am thinking I will go to my local GP who has my medical records and organise to have what I need with them, prior to my medical appointment. My interview will likely only be in January so I have a quite a few months up my sleeve.

Just a note, the list of vaccinations is not the same as everything you personally will actually need. A bunch of them have age waivers etc. so you can go to your GP hoping to save some money but you may well end up with unnecessary injections.

Hi, I have looked through many of the previous forums and see that the police check required for living in Australia is the 33-form (fingerprints are not required).

I have also come across commenters who mention that NZ'ers interviewing in Auckland who have lived in Aus for the required duration do need the fingerprint police check.

Can somebody please confirm whether this is true? Or whether there have been instances where people have been approved with only the 33 form?

Thanks

Sorry to be a nuisance but just want to check I have understood things correctly. My OC 2017 number is 5xx, I re-submitted my DS260 in mid-August. Am I right in expecting my interview in January?

The bit I am not sure about in particular is am I right in think my number will be part of the visa bulletin sometime during the month prior (i.e. December), and I will then receive my interview date later that month?

There is always a backlog for criminal check applications in NZ, so am thinking of applying in October, but it is best to wait until that month prior to my interview to get photos and to have my medical check?

Thank you in advance and big thank you to the regulars who post on here and offer their insight!

Sorry to be a nuisance but just want to check I have understood things correctly. My OC 2017 number is 5xx, I re-submitted my DS260 in mid-August. Am I right in expecting my interview in January?

The bit I am not sure about in particular is am I right in think my number will be part of the visa bulletin sometime during the month prior (i.e. December), and I will then receive my interview date later that month?

There is always a backlog for criminal check applications in NZ, so am thinking of applying in October, but it is best to wait until that month prior to my interview to get photos and to have my medical check?

Thank you in advance and big thank you to the regulars who post on here and offer their insight!

They send the interview notifications about 6 ot 7 weeks prior to interview. So, the October interviews were notified in late August. If your case number is current in January you might be notified in November BUT your late submission of the DS260 might cause your case to be delayed a month or two. You can apply for your police cert early, but don't get the medical until you are notified as the expiry date of the visa is based on medical date plus 6 months.

Hi all, I just got through to the second round for the 2017 DV lottery! I am OC 1000-ish and I have a few questions that I'm hoping you might be able to help me with;

- I was separated when I applied. I applied under my maiden name as it was never officially changed but added in my husband as the Spouse. Our divorce will be official from December and he won't be going through the application with me. Will it be an issue if I don't fill out his IV Application? Or do I need to do it anyway and somewhere down the line, remove him from the application?

- Does anyone have experience with any other issues with the application while going through a divorce?

- In addition to my Australian passport, I just received my Italian passport (through my Father's side). I did not note this in my original application (I can't remember if I needed to) but is there any problems with having obtain a second citizenship from the time of applying and being selected?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all, I just got through to the second round for the 2017 DV lottery! I am OC 1000-ish and I have a few questions that I'm hoping you might be able to help me with;

- I was separated when I applied. I applied under my maiden name as it was never officially changed but added in my husband as the Spouse. Our divorce will be official from December and he won't be going through the application with me. Will it be an issue if I don't fill out his IV Application? Or do I need to do it anyway and somewhere down the line, remove him from the application?

- Does anyone have experience with any other issues with the application while going through a divorce?

- In addition to my Australian passport, I just received my Italian passport (through my Father's side). I did not note this in my original application (I can't remember if I needed to) but is there any problems with having obtain a second citizenship from the time of applying and being selected?

Thanks in advance!

Congratulations on your selection!

1. Not filling out a DS-260 form for your soon to be ex isn't going to be a problem, perfectly okay.

2. Your second citizenship is not a problem either.

hi simon, emily and the rest, as usual you guys are doing a great job. i am from Kenya but am currently residing in china doing my studies. i will do my interview in china. My CN number is 2017AF00006*** and submitted my Ds 260 one month late so i think my interview will be scheduled between November and December but am having a challenge in getting the police report, i have to get the a recommendation letter from my school before i apply for the police report but the school says i have to wait until i clear my studies which will be towards the end of December.... in china its not an easy flow especially for foreigners. my question is should i unlock the ds260 and leave it open for like a month or so, so that i can buy enough time to get the police report?
second question i know Chinese people are not eligible to apply for a green card however i do have a Chinese girlfriend whom i am intending to marry very soon but because i have won the green card there's a lot of preparation to be done , am intending to bring her to the US once i get there and am settled. whats your take on this? please advice. Thank you.

Last edited:
hi simon, emily and the rest, as usual you guys are doing a great job. i am from Kenya but am currently residing in china doing my studies. i will do my interview in china. My CN number is 2017AF00006*** and submitted my Ds 260 one month late so i think my interview will be scheduled between November and December but am having a challenge in getting the police report, i have to get the a recommendation letter from my school before i apply for the police report but the school says i have to wait until i clear my studies which will be towards the end of December.... in china its not an easy flow especially for foreigners. my question is should i unlock the ds260 and leave it open for like a month or so, so that i can buy enough time to get the police report?
second question i know Chinese people are not eligible to apply for a green card however i do have a Chinese girlfriend whom i am intending to marry very soon but because i have won the green card there's a lot of preparation to be done , am intending to bring her to the US once i get there and am settled. whats your take on this? please advice. Thank you.

So you are a Kenyan, with an AF number, in China witha Chinese girlfriend. I think you are on the wrong thread!

Anyway. It may already be too late to unlock your form to stop your process. You should try unlocking, but they may schedule you anyway. If needed, you can attend the interview without the police report and provide it after the interview - BUT that is not ideal, so, move fast on getting the police report.

You also might have left it too late to easily add your girlfriend. You would need to marry first, then unlock your DS260 adding her to the case. You might be able to agree with the embassy to add her case but they may not co-operate - especially given that they don't get many DV cases. The other way might be to bring her later. It's a longer process, but it might be better since you left it so late.

yeah, i have been in china for two years now. i have been applying for a green card for the last ten years. i came to china applied once and i won...... talk of good luck. I think will unlock it and try my luck, meanwhile i will try my best to get the report on time just in case they schedule my interview i just want to go the interview with all the documents ready. and the police report is an important document. about my my, girlfriend i think i will bring her later to the US. like you said its a long process but its the only better choice that i have now i don't want to rush things. do you have link that i check on the process of bringing a spouse to the US?

Last edited:
yeah, i have been in china for two years now. i have been applying for a green card for the last ten years. i came to china applied once and i won...... talk of good luck. I think will unlock it and try my luck, meanwhile i will try my best to get the report on time just in case they schedule my interview i just want to go the interview with all the documents ready. and the police report is an important document. about my my, girlfriend i think i will bring her later to the US. like you said its a long process but its the only better choice that i have now i don't want to rush things. do you have link that i check on the process of bringing a spouse to the US?

Check the USCIS website for the family based process.

Hi,

I am from NZ and have listed all of the addresses that I have lived at on my DS-260 form. However, I have been on two very long holidays "OE's". One for 12-months and the other for 6-months. On these trips I have never stayed in any country for longer than a month (except for when I worked in the US on a J1 visa at a summer camp for 3-months). On my DS-260 form I put my parents address during both of these periods as that was my residents while on these holidays. I submitted my DS-260 in early May so it could be too late to unlock now.

Questions

1) Should I have put any of the overseas addresses that I stayed at on my form?

2) And given it is too late to update should I acknowledge this when going through my forms before the interview?

Thanks

Hi,

I am from NZ and have listed all of the addresses that I have lived at on my DS-260 form. However, I have been on two very long holidays "OE's". One for 12-months and the other for 6-months. On these trips I have never stayed in any country for longer than a month (except for when I worked in the US on a J1 visa at a summer camp for 3-months). On my DS-260 form I put my parents address during both of these periods as that was my residents while on these holidays. I submitted my DS-260 in early May so it could be too late to unlock now.

Questions

1) Should I have put any of the overseas addresses that I stayed at on my form?

2) And given it is too late to update should I acknowledge this when going through my forms before the interview?

Thanks

1. Yes
2. Whether it is too late to update depends on your case number. If your case number is not current yet, you can unlock.